Sticken Japanese Moon Lander Photographed

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Sticken Japanese Moon Lander Photographed

Post by LadyTevar »

Stricken Japanese Moon Lander Landed on Nose
(photos from the Moon in article)
Japan's Moon lander ended up on its nose when it made its historic touchdown on the lunar surface.
The first picture of the stricken Slim spacecraft shows it rotated 90 degrees from how it should have come to rest.
This will go some way to explaining the difficulties it has had in generating the electricity needed to operate.

The image was captured by the small baseball-sized robot called Sora-Q that was ejected from Slim moments before touchdown last Saturday.

"An abnormality in the main engine affected the landing attitude of the spacecraft," the Japanese space agency Jaxa said in a statement.
It seems one of the two big thrusters on Slim (Smart Lander for Investigating Moon) stopped working during the descent.

To get the picture to Earth, Sora-Q first had to transmit it to a second ejected roving robot, Lunar Excursion Vehicle 1, or Lev-1. This hopping robot has radio equipment that can contact mission control independently of Slim.

The lander itself was shut down three hours after arrival because it could not get its solar cells to work. With the battery rapidly draining, Jaxa officials took the decision to hibernate Slim.
Their assumption - which seems to be borne out by the Sora-Q image - is that the main spacecraft is orientated in a way that prevents the solar cells from seeing the Sun.
The hope is to wake Slim when lighting angles change at its landing location
Before hibernation, controllers were able to pull down a series of pictures of the surface taken by its on-board infrared camera.
These show the spacecraft to be on a slope, surrounded by small rocks.

Slim's landing location is at the edge of an equatorial crater known as Shioli.
The landing on Saturday at 00:20, Japan standard time (15:20 GMT), made Jaxa only the fifth national space agency to achieve a soft touchdown on the Moon - after the US, the former Soviet Union, China and India.
Statistically, it's proved very hard to put down softly on the lunar surface. Only about a half of all attempts have succeeded.
Jaxa put its faith in new precision-navigation technologies.
The lander's onboard computer used rapid image processing and crater mapping to avoid hazards to reach its touchdown point.
Engineers had wanted to get within 100m (330ft) of their targeted location. This was achieved.

"Analysis of the data acquired before shutting down the power confirmed that Slim had reached the Moon's surface approximately 55m east of the original target landing site,"
said Jaxa, adding that the onboard computer had also taken a decision in the final moments of descent to move the craft to one side to avoid obstacles.

This will delight officials, as will the success of the two rovers. Not only did Sora-Q move on the lunar surface and take its picture, but Lev-1 also managed to hop. Like Slim, Lev-1 has also powered down.
"The accomplishment of Lev-1's leaping movements on the lunar surface, inter-robot communication between Lev-1 and Sora-Q, and fully autonomous operations represent ground-breaking achievement. It would be regarded as a valuable technology demonstration for future lunar explorations, and the acquired knowledge and experience will be applied in upcoming missions," the agency said.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Sticken Japanese Moon Lander Photographed

Post by LadyTevar »

Now... I want to point out the REALLY IMPRESSIVE PARTS here.

1. Yes, the SLIM lander is nose down, but it was able to take photos of its landing spot, and is within 55m of the target. It also ejected the mini-rovers as planned and they landed safely.
That's a WIN.

2. Sora-Q, who was supposed to be connecting to SLIM to send its images, was instead able to connect to LEV-1 which has it's own radio transmitter and let JAXA see what's wrong with SLIM.
LEV-1 also managed at least one safe "Hop" on the Moon surface, but then was shut down, no reason given.
This means both small rovers not only worked, they were able to communicate with each other to transmit images to Earth.
This is not only a WIN, this is Above and Beyond.

Especially for Sora-Q, a tiny little baseball rolling around the Moon right now :-D Not BB-8, but its a cute image.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Sora-Q was also made by Takara-Tomy, the original creators of what would become the Transformers brand.

Also, description of Sora-Q make it sound like a ball that changes into a camera.

So, in effect, the Japanese have a Transformer on the moon.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2024-01-27 11:31pm Sora-Q was also made by Takara-Tomy, the original creators of what would become the Transformers brand.

Also, description of Sora-Q make it sound like a ball that changes into a camera.

So, in effect, the Japanese have a Transformer on the moon.
:shock: :lol:
Holy shit, it does!

THE NEW YORKER: Mini-Moon Rover from Toy Company that Created Transformers
(snippet)
The M1 and SLIM missions will each follow a circuitous, months-long trajectory to the moon that consumes less fuel than a direct flight. If all goes according to plan, shortly before their main landers reach the lunar surface, they will eject various smaller probes, including SORA-Q. With its honeycombed aluminum-alloy shell, SORA-Q looks something like a metallic Wiffle ball and takes its name from sora, which means “sky” in Japanese; the “Q” is a homonym for the Japanese word meaning “sphere.” As the dust settles, SORA-Q will unfold like a Transformer: the sphere will split in half, exposing a pair of cameras and dividing its two hemispheres into wheels.
In the case of M1, mission controllers will remotely instruct their SORA-Q to turn toward the main lunar lander and transmit images back to Earth. (One long-standing challenge of landing missions is that they generally can’t take selfies from a distance, so scientists can’t visually diagnose problems—and images of the landing can’t go viral.)
And it was PLANNED for Sora-Q to take the photos of SLIM for diagnostics, even before the mission launched! So another Mission Accomplished checkmark.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Now, how long until Takara-Tomy market a variant of that as a Transformers TOY?

Cause, I'm telling yeah, even without a robot/humanoid mode, I'd buy that Transformer.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Solauren wrote: 2024-01-28 02:53pm Now, how long until Takara-Tomy market a variant of that as a Transformers TOY?

Cause, I'm telling yeah, even without a robot/humanoid mode, I'd buy that Transformer.

Controllable with your cell phone, even really takes pictures.

Limited edition but sold out, goes for about $500-$1000 on ebay.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2024-02-02 02:42am

Controllable with your cell phone, even really takes pictures.

Limited edition but sold out, goes for about $500-$1000 on ebay.
*dies laughing* They wasted no time with that.

So, have we heard more from SLIM?

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

No idea about the main probe.

I can't find a 3d model of the camera bot to print either :(