Doctor Who s12e06: Praxeus [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How would you rate the episode?

Poll ended at 2020-05-04 06:28am

Time travellers will come to witness this moment
No votes
Decent effort
73%
Fuck Chris Chibnall
27%

Total votes: 11

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who s12e06: Praxeus [spoilers]

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Let's go with 3 poll options :)
Thoughts?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who s12e06: Praxeus [spoilers]

Post by Broomstick »

A watchable episode, but Chibnall lacks subtlety and thinks the audience are either children or uneducated. The companions are used to prompt exposition from the Doctor. Maybe some people find it helpful, I find it ham-handed and telling me things I already know - but then, I may not be a typical TV viewer.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, either. And the companions did have some useful contributions to the plot (Ryan and the dead bird, Yaz finding the plastic habitat). A reasonably well done Aesop about plastic pollution in the current world, less ham-fisted than Orphan 55.

I'm once again wishing Chibnall would do more with historical stories, which are his strong point. The eco-Aesops are hit and miss.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I think the episode was kind of played to be safe. An alien bringing a pathogen to earth, planning to use humans as guinea pigs to help cure their own diseases sounds like a good premise for any generic sci fi story. I thought it made sense that the Doctor would save the policeman since she can materialise the TARDIS around someone, so if he ended up sacrificing his life, it wouldn't have made sense. So it was nice to have the Doctor used the TARDIS in a manner which takes advantage of capabilities we have already seen before.

So overall I think this is decent, but not brilliant.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

It was okay, but I was hoping for and expecting a part two to the previous story that had the Judoon.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I'd go with the general Ok opinion.

In a way it was a better version of Orphan 55, it kept the environmental stance but wasn't so heavy handed with it. Like Orphan it had a fairly large cast of mostly forgettable characters and seemed to have a few more idea's than it knew what to do with.

The idea of bouncing between various places around the world was interesting but they really didn't do to much with it, maybe if there were actually full stories in each place which then interlinked more.

I increasingly feel that the modern era can't deal with three companions maybe due to the story length meaning that there's not enough time given to each of them. The majority of the original three companion stories were back in Hartnells day when stories averaged about 6 episodes so you had 2.5 to 3 hours to tell the story. They switched back to it in the Davison but they still had 4 parters there so there was an hour and a half to give plots to each character. Here not only did they have the Doctor and three companions but 5 other characters in 50 minutes so at least two of them (vlog girl and research station guy) did nothing of any importance.