Invincible (Amazon Prime)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Invincible (Amazon Prime)

Post by wautd »

I wasn't familiar with the lore/comics but I gave the animation series on Amazon a try and was instantly hooked. If you like adult superhero-shows like The Boys, this is a must watch

edit: also, go watch The Boys
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Invincible (Amazon Prime)

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't consider the two related outside of the violence, which is overrated. The Boys is way more played straight capeshit and soap opera stuff. For a single character example:

Not-Wonder Woman consistently shows up out of nowhere to help push the plot along and save the "heroes" asses. She does this for..... Light Girl when she's being choked out... ninja guy (man, I really wasn't invested in this show) by just so happening to A. be there B. have almonds on her. She does the same thing by tracking down Homelander during their big fight and shows him the camera. IIRC, she cannot fly and isn't amazingly fast (not like Homelander). It's not a BAD show, mind you, but it's generic in it's Capeshit feel. Shit happens when it NEEDS to happen, the mechanics of how it happens be damned (look at later seasons of Game of Thrones and..... Eurons? magic teleporting fleet of ships).

Invincible OTOH has tons of shit setup early on and it all pays off. There's an entire section of an episode about "slow Omni-man down" where a certain character uses his bag of tricks AND his knowledge of Omniman to slow him down using everything at his disposal, all setup in previous episodes. It's both really plot heavy and exciting and employs zero asspulls I can think of. Literally, Omni-Man's roflstomping of Spoiler
The NOT Justice League
is the only shocking part of the show. And by that I mean, the show pulls near NOTHING out of it's ass to service the plot.

Invincible is WAY better than The Boys. The Boys is the Batman and Robin of Capeshit compared to Invincible.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

TheFeniX wrote: 2021-07-18 11:36pm I don't consider the two related outside of the violence, which is overrated. The Boys is way more played straight capeshit and soap opera stuff. For a single character example:

Not-Wonder Woman consistently shows up out of nowhere to help push the plot along and save the "heroes" asses. She does this for..... Light Girl when she's being choked out... ninja guy (man, I really wasn't invested in this show) by just so happening to A. be there B. have almonds on her. She does the same thing by tracking down Homelander during their big fight and shows him the camera. IIRC, she cannot fly and isn't amazingly fast (not like Homelander). It's not a BAD show, mind you, but it's generic in it's Capeshit feel. Shit happens when it NEEDS to happen, the mechanics of how it happens be damned (look at later seasons of Game of Thrones and..... Eurons? magic teleporting fleet of ships).

Invincible OTOH has tons of shit setup early on and it all pays off. There's an entire section of an episode about "slow Omni-man down" where a certain character uses his bag of tricks AND his knowledge of Omniman to slow him down using everything at his disposal, all setup in previous episodes. It's both really plot heavy and exciting and employs zero asspulls I can think of. Literally, Omni-Man's roflstomping of Spoiler
The NOT Justice League
is the only shocking part of the show. And by that I mean, the show pulls near NOTHING out of it's ass to service the plot.

Invincible is WAY better than The Boys. The Boys is the Batman and Robin of Capeshit compared to Invincible.
I may watch The Boys when it ends. Just to see how they try to 'sanitize how that series ended.

Invincible, however, is a much more refined work. Not just because it's animated (which requires some more prep work than regular TV), but because the creator gave the show a once-over after the whole The Walking Dead thing got him a lot of cloute. Now he got a chance to refine things and took it.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2021-08-17 08:56pm I may watch The Boys when it ends. Just to see how they try to 'sanitize how that series ended.
It'll likely be quite a bit different because they've changed at least a couple of the core elements of the comic story in regards to a couple of the Seven, some other characters and The Boys themselves don't have super powers. Certainly some of this stuff could be changed to bring it back into line with the comic but at least one element I don't think they could retcon now.

The rumor I heard about this season (3) is they are adapting the "Herogasm" story. Considering they like doing f'd up shit on this show that's one storyline full of it. I know Soldier Boy is supposed to be introduced but that's about it.
Majin Gojira wrote: 2021-08-17 08:56pm Invincible, however, is a much more refined work. Not just because it's animated (which requires some more prep work than regular TV), but because the creator gave the show a once-over after the whole The Walking Dead thing got him a lot of cloute. Now he got a chance to refine things and took it.
It's been awhile since I read Invincible and I did stop altogether at one point but I've read quite a bit further than the show has currently progressed and I'm really liking the show. There's a lot of Amber hate going around and I think a lot of it is deserved but initially I thought she was a more interesting character than the comic version. Actually, I'd tone down "hate" to "dislike" for me but maybe they'll be able to do something interesting with her in upcoming seasons.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.