The Watch

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

The Watch

Post by Crazedwraith »

For fellow brits the whole of The Watch the 'bold reimagining' of Terry Pratchings City Watch books is availble on iPlayer.

Not seen any of it yet, but even the episode blurbs look painful and I've heard nothing but bad things for my work colleagues that are Discworld fans.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: The Watch

Post by bilateralrope »

It's bad. It feels like someone decided to rush through content from as many Discworld books as they could, often without reading them. Just grab whatever bits someone picked up through cultural osmosis.

It seems very low budget. I can see the sets being easily redressed for some show set in the modern day and nobody being able to tell unless they have access to production documents. Oh and guess how long it takes before we see Angua in full werewolf form. Spoiler
We don't.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fuck, I misspelt Pratchett. That's fucking embarassing.

Anyway, watched (that is a pune or a play on words) the first episode today. It's all so so wrong but then it's so obviously not trying to be right that I can't bring myself to hate it for that.

They've taken everyone and replaced them with much more cliche versions of themselves. Like Angua's werewolf being an uncontrolled self hurting thing and the screaming slow transformation. That's not what Angua is like.

So it's no faithful and what it is, isn't that impressive so far.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

When I heard that Pratchett's daughter had seen it and said "That's Not DiscWorld" I knew it was sunk.

I'm not even going to bother.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet