Masters of the Universe: Revelation teaser trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Masters of the Universe: Revelation teaser trailer

Post by Lord Insanity »

This just dropped today. If you like cheesy '80s nostalgia mixed with modern animation quality this looks fantastic.

Youtube link video doesn't seem to embed correctly.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation teaser trailer

Post by Solauren »

Oh, I am so watching this....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I’ve got Transformers the Movie vibes…

Something tells me the movie starts with the final confrontation lol
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Might be good. "I need a hero" was highly amusing
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Btw is that Mark Hamill voicing Skeletor?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Not sure. Did anyone see the 02 revival of HeMan? It was decent but didn't do very well.

The Shera revival that's on Netflix is also pretty good from what I've seen.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-06-12 10:46pm Btw is that Mark Hamill voicing Skeletor?
Yes it is. In fact the voice cast reads more like a major motion picture.

Mark Hamill (Star Wars, Batman: The Animated Series) as Skeletor
Lena Headey (Game of Thrones, 300) as Evil-Lyn
Chris Wood (Supergirl, The Vampire Diaries) as Prince Adam/He-Man
Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cruel Intentions) as Teela
Liam Cunningham (Game of Thrones, Clash of the Titans) as Man-At-Arms
Stephen Root (Office Space, Barry) as Cringer
Diedrich Bader (Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite) as King Randor/Trap Jaw
Griffin Newman (The Tick, Vinyl) as Orko
Tiffany Smith (Behind Enemy Lines, Supernatural) as Andra
Henry Rollins (Johnny Mnemonic, Lost Highway) as Tri-Klops
Alan Oppenheimer (original Skeletor, Westworld, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Moss Man
Susan Eisenberg (Wonder Woman, Justice League) as Sorceress
Alicia Silverstone (Clueless, Batman & Robin) as Queen Marlena
Justin Long (Galaxy Quest, Live Free or Die Hard) as Roboto
Jason Mewes (Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) as Stinkor
Phil LaMarr (Mad TV, Justice League) as He-Ro; Tony Todd (Candyman, Star Trek: The Next Generation) as Scare Glow
Cree Summer (DC Super Hero Girls, Vampirina) as Priestess
Kevin Michael Richardson (The Batman, ThunderCats) as Beast Man
Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Crisis on Infinite Earths) as Mer-Man
Harley Quinn Smith (Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot) as Ileena
Darth Yan wrote: 2021-06-13 01:23am Not sure. Did anyone see the 02 revival of HeMan? It was decent but didn't do very well.

The Shera revival that's on Netflix is also pretty good from what I've seen.
The '02 He-Man was pretty good overall. I didn't care for some of the artistic changes like the transforming power sword and making The Sorceress have a pseudo Egyptian style. It was cool when they started getting into things the original cartoon didn't cover like the Snake Men.

The Netflix She-Ra reboot is also pretty good overall. I am not big on the artistic style of that one either but that is pretty subjective. It annoyed me that they turned most of "the ancient magic" into "technology". They made the magical entity Light Hope (that was nearly as powerful as the Sorceress of Grayskull in the original cartoon) a mere hologram in the new one.

The biggest problem the She-Ra reboot suffered was Mattel being stuck in the 20th centruy and strictly separating "He-Man" into "boy property" and "She-Ra" into "girl property". So the reboot wasn't allowed to use most of the "He-Man" half of the mythology. To the show runner's credit she squeezed as much as she could out of Mattel. (More than they really wanted).

Considering the new He-Man show is being advertised as a continuation of the original cartoon and titled Masters of the Universe: Revelation I am concerned that they won't be able to use the "She-Ra" half of the mythology. The original He-Man and She-Ra cartoons were really just one big story for most fans. Mattel's decision to split them into "boy" and "girl" licensing halves is rather disappointing. I suspect that the new cartoon isn't so much a continuation of the original cartoon but as the whole '80s era He-Man in general. (Comics, toys, books, etc.)

I definitely like the artistic style showed off in the teaser trailer. In an interview a few months ago, show runner Kevin Smith (yes Silent Bob) said the main Netflix executive he reports to, told him to make the show make him feel like he is a kid again. The Netflix executive said when he was a kid watching the original show he totally believed the heroes were in mortal danger every episode. Now as an adult he wants the new show to make him believe that world all over again. I certainly see that in the trailer and hope the show lives up to it.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I hope that they didn't go for name recognition over talent for the voice cast, sure some of those names are known and talented voice actors but others are a big unknown as far as their ability in voice acting goes.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Tribble wrote: 2021-06-12 08:16pm I’ve got Transformers the Movie vibes…

Something tells me the movie starts with the final confrontation lol
Since nobody else has mentioned it.

Apparently this series is centered around Teela, who has to rally the shattered Masters of the Universe after He-Man is defeated by Skeletor. So yeah, teasing a He-Man series with a trailer like this and then immediately dispensing with He-Man is going to predictably go down like a lead balloon.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

GuppyShark wrote: 2021-06-14 07:48pm Since nobody else has mentioned it.

Apparently this series is centered around Teela, who has to rally the shattered Masters of the Universe after He-Man is defeated by Skeletor. So yeah, teasing a He-Man series with a trailer like this and then immediately dispensing with He-Man is going to predictably go down like a lead balloon.
So from 42:48 to 1:19:00 in this week's Fatman Beyond video is all about the trailer reactions and how wrong the misinformation is. The most important parts regarding shooting down that nonsense rumor are from 42:48 - 44:52 and 56:10 - 1:04:28. Kevin Smith literally says that rumor is completely wrong. :lol:

-Lord Insanity

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

New story trailer was posted.

Looks quite epic. The comments are rather hilarious though. I get the impression most of those people never actually watched the original Filmation cartoon or read the mini-comics that came with the figures back in the '80s. Teela was always a main character. I suspect that the original series episode Teela's Quest provides more insight into the plot of Masters of the Universe Revelations than all the nonsense rumors floating around the internet does.

Spoilers for that original series episode.
Teela is not only captain of the Royal Gaurd, she is also unknowingly the Sorceress' daughter and destined to succeed her as the new Sorceress someday.
-Lord Insanity

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2021-07-02 09:56pm

Looks quite epic. The comments are rather hilarious though. I get the impression most of those people never actually watched the original Filmation cartoon or read the mini-comics that came with the figures back in the '80s. Teela was always a main character. I suspect that the original series episode Teela's Quest provides more insight into the plot of Masters of the Universe Revelations than all the nonsense rumors floating around the internet does.
Considering that most Internet Commentators were not even BORN when the original He-Man was out? Yeah, I don't think they get it. I was in Jr. High when He-Man started, and I watched them every Saturday like all other Gen X kids. I'm also not an incel throwing a hissy over a woman in a cartoon show. :roll:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Wasn't Teela a main character in the reboot they did in the 2000s as well, but yeah as she was always an important character both for TV-series and the toyline it's not a recent development (unless by recent you mean "as old as the toyline itself but done after the early 1900s").
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-07-03 11:58am Wasn't Teela a main character in the reboot they did in the 2000s as well, but yeah as she was always an important character both for TV-series and the toyline it's not a recent development (unless by recent you mean "as old as the toyline itself but done after the early 1900s").
*snort* That had 2000 "men" bitching as well, if you recall. Same shit, different year.

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

What is truly baffling to me is why most of the negative comments around the internet seem fixated on Teela's new haircut. I wouldn't even waste my time asking anywhere else but I might get an intelligent answer on this forum. Why the hell do so many people think that haircut is a harbinger of doom to the show? I mean I just assumed they were making a reference to current WWE women's champion Rhea Ripley. (scroll down to the second picture the haircut is almost identical just reversed sides)

Seriously why is a new haircut considered "proof" the show is going to suck? :wtf:

I'm looking at the trailer and thinking it is amazing how deep they are diving into the lore with references the old show never got to. I think the show will end with Teela becoming the new sorceress with an animated adaptation of her classic mini-comic and action figure "Warrior Goddess" look. We will probably have to wait for the second set of 5 episodes to know for sure though. I really don't get why Netflix is randomly splitting a completed 10 episode mini-series into two parts.
-Lord Insanity