LOKI (Spoilers Possible!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

LOKI (Spoilers Possible!)

Post by LadyTevar »

We were all wondering what happened to Loki when he grabbed the Tesseract. Now we find out.

I'll be honest, "Glorious Purpose" is an info-dump episode, but a very well-done one. I think it set the scene far better than WandaVision's first episode.

I don't believe Loki's change of heart one bit, although he was honestly pained by what he saw in the Real Timeline. But Loki gave himself away when he realized that the Infinity Stones had no power in the TVA. He just found the REAL POWER PLAYERS.

I'm gonna be glued to the TV every Wednesday morning before work. :-D
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: LOKI (Spoilers Possible!)

Post by NecronLord »

Yeah, his reactions to his parents' deaths as a result of his own actions are genuine; but his reaction to his own is more extreme. He's not changed a bit.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't know what it is like in the comics but the TVA are dicks, prosecuting and murdering people who obviously have no idea what they've done wrong and as Loki points out he wasn't time travel and he ended up a 'variant' through no fault of his own. It's a really messed up system.

I wonder if the people who worried about dark timelines created by Endgame are pacified by this 'one sacred timeline' or if they are horrified by the reset bombs basically genociding all the alternates because I am pretty uncomfortable with it.

Of all the shows so far this seems to have the least reason to exist beyond Loki's popularity. And they've picked Loki at his absolute lowest evil point and then attempted to make him sympathetic again. They've had mixed results for me. The main thrust is making him an ineffectual villainy for most of the episode and then to hit him with a truth bomb that is his real destiny.

Now in a show with time travel, alternate realties and Loki, do we believe what we're told in the first episode? Is the villian another Loki variant? They didn't show his face. My bet is the same variant at different point in his timeline or something else entirely.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh plus only having one single timeline allowed is a little awkward when one of their upcoming films in entitled 'Doctor Strange in The Multiverse Of Madness' plus the rumours that Holland's third film is going to be basically live action spider-verse (ugh)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-09 03:55pm I don't know what it is like in the comics but the TVA are dicks, prosecuting and murdering people who obviously have no idea what they've done wrong and as Loki points out he wasn't time travel and he ended up a 'variant' through no fault of his own. It's a really messed up system.
Yeah, they're definately dickheads.
Now in a show with time travel, alternate realties and Loki, do we believe what we're told in the first episode? Is the villian another Loki variant? They didn't show his face. My bet is the same variant at different point in his timeline or something else entirely.
I definitely thought it was another Loki variant.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Moebius says its another Loki variant. I just don't know whether to believe him.

Someone on another site theorised it'll be Lady Loki. (Is jamie alexander involved in the show?)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It could be THIS Loki variant -- after all, he's going to be learning all these things about the TVA that he can and will be using against them. He's already learned the art of how to unsnap his collar and use it against them.

Also.. did you note the info on his rap sheet? "Race: Ice Giant". "Gender: Fluid".

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

No, that skipped by me, but I'm not surprised given he's been addressed as "Lauffeyson" from the start and not Odinson.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I really loved the pilot. This got me far more interested than the Falcon and the Winter Soldier. We'll see how it'll compare with Wandavision (started of strong, but became weaker near the end imo)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Personally, I was always far more interested in Wanda and Sam and the ongoing MCU rather than Loki just having too many fans to die already.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-06-09 10:10pm Also.. did you note the info on his rap sheet? "Race: Ice Giant". "Gender: Fluid".
Loki is one of the original 'Gender is meaningless' characters in real-world mythology. 'He' fathered offspring, and got pregnant and birthed offspring.
I don't know why anyone is surprised by this.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-10 08:12am
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-06-09 10:10pm Also.. did you note the info on his rap sheet? "Race: Ice Giant". "Gender: Fluid".
Loki is one of the original 'Gender is meaningless' characters in real-world mythology. 'He' fathered offspring, and got pregnant and birthed offspring.
I don't know why anyone is surprised by this.
Because mythological accuracy is not really a thing for Marvel's Thor?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, the Marvel Norse "Gods" might be influenced/inspired by the Norse pantheon but they are NOT the Norse Gods of our world.

Like, Marvel has just never ever mentioned who the mother of Sleipnir is. Just avoided it completely. Of course, back in the days of the Comics Code that never would have seen print, but even now I haven't seen it addressed or mentioned.

I could go on, but don't feel the urge to do so at the moment.

Loki as presented in the MCU has only ever been male. Maybe they'll introduce the concept in this series, maybe they won't, but the "genderfluid" line is as close as they've come so far and is the smallest of nods towards the gender-bending of the mythological Loki.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-06-10 09:09am Yeah, the Marvel Norse "Gods" might be influenced/inspired by the Norse pantheon but they are NOT the Norse Gods of our world.

Like, Marvel has just never ever mentioned who the mother of Sleipnir is. Just avoided it completely. Of course, back in the days of the Comics Code that never would have seen print, but even now I haven't seen it addressed or mentioned.

I could go on, but don't feel the urge to do so at the moment.

Loki as presented in the MCU has only ever been male. Maybe they'll introduce the concept in this series, maybe they won't, but the "genderfluid" line is as close as they've come so far and is the smallest of nods towards the gender-bending of the mythological Loki.
Didn't Loki impersonate Sif and Jane during one of the Thor Movies?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-10 11:17am Didn't Loki impersonate Sif and Jane during one of the Thor Movies?
Via illusion not shapeshifting.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-10 12:10pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-06-10 11:17am Didn't Loki impersonate Sif and Jane during one of the Thor Movies?
Why not shapeshift his own body, then illusion the cloths?

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-10 01:11pm
Who the fuck knows? Apart from one story from the very dubious Ragnarok I'm not sure he can shapeshift. (and even Ragnarok's story could be a result of illusions)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It's no surprise that this Loki hasn't changed, you cannot power through 2 and a bit movie's worth of character development in the space of a single episode in an effort to bring him up to date. All of Loki's forms have been shown to be illusions instead of true shapeshifting, except the one disguising his Frost Giant origins. Odin described him as being small for his race when he found him as a baby.

That Loki should wind up hunting himself reminds me a lot of the Voyager episode "Relativity" where the villain is future!Braxton, resulting in present!Braxton being arrested for crimes he is going to commit.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-10 02:51pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-06-10 01:11pm
Who the fuck knows? Apart from one story from the very dubious Ragnarok I'm not sure he can shapeshift. (and even Ragnarok's story could be a result of illusions)
In dialogue, we're told that Loki is a skilled practitioner of Asgardian magic, but on screen that's only manifested as illusions (plus knowing secret ways in and out of Asgard) plus having enough native power to him that he can wield an infinity stone safely and effectively (which is apparently no mean feat). Much like Stephen Strange is said to be a skilled practioner of human magic but in his movie didn't do much beyond portals, shields and magic weapons.

So if he can shapeshift for real, the answer is they haven't firmly gone one way or the other on the subject. A lot of his costume changes and deceptions can be explained by shapeshifting for real, but can be equally explained by skilled use of illusions.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Maybe they'll answer the question of Real Shapeshift or Illusion Magic in the show?

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Considering that Natalie Portman is acknowledged to be playing the female version of Thor in 'Thor: Love and Thunder', I see no particular reason they couldn't pull out fem-Loki as a reference at some point. The only question is whether they do it by Hiddleston in drag or a female actress in the Loki outfit... that said, I doubt it'll be a major part of the series if they do that at all.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2021-06-13 01:12pm Considering that Natalie Portman is acknowledged to be playing the female version of Thor in 'Thor: Love and Thunder', I see no particular reason they couldn't pull out fem-Loki as a reference at some point. The only question is whether they do it by Hiddleston in drag or a female actress in the Loki outfit... that said, I doubt it'll be a major part of the series if they do that at all.
Ooo... Hiddleston in drag? I'm there!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If memory serves the female version of Thor was Jane Foster though with Thor Thor being stripped of his powers, there was no gender swapping involved, it was just a woman getting the Thor job for a time. Loki being female however would require actual 'Loki' being female, not just a person with Loki's job and power set, and while as Broomstick mentioned there's a ton of evidence for that in 'Norse mythology', Marvel never seemed to go that way so far
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lady Loki in the comics is Loki having taken over Lafy Sif's body.

So if they've signed Jamie Alexander on for the series...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2021-06-13 01:12pm Considering that Natalie Portman is acknowledged to be playing the female version of Thor in 'Thor: Love and Thunder', I see no particular reason they couldn't pull out fem-Loki as a reference at some point. The only question is whether they do it by Hiddleston in drag or a female actress in the Loki outfit... that said, I doubt it'll be a major part of the series if they do that at all.
I knew a girl who cosplayed as Loki, she turned out to be as crazy as her namesake! :lol: