"The Mitchells vs. the Machines" - Anyone see it yet?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

"The Mitchells vs. the Machines" - Anyone see it yet?

Post by Steve »

So this is another victim of COVID, an animated movie delayed from theaters until they finally just gave to NetFlix. Among its producers are Miller and Lord, the fellows behind at least one of the Lego movies and "Into the Spider-Verse", and this movie is very much in the spirit of that one. The directors and writers, meanwhile, are among those who directed/wrote the series "Gravity Falls", and you can see some of the influences there as well. The result is... beautiful. The best animated movie since "Into the Spider-Verse". I regret we couldn't see it in theaters.

Here's the more recent trailer (the first was under a temporary re-title to "Connected" before they returned it to the far superior "The Mitchells vs. the Machines").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ak5dFt8Ar0
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: "The Mitchells vs. the Machines" - Anyone see it yet?

Post by Zor »

I love this movie and it's cast, but this is pretty clearly a sci-fi movie.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
lordroel
Redshirt

Post by lordroel »

Steve wrote: 2021-05-03 01:55am So this is another victim of COVID, an animated movie delayed from theaters until they finally just gave to NetFlix. Among its producers are Miller and Lord, the fellows behind at least one of the Lego movies and "Into the Spider-Verse", and this movie is very much in the spirit of that one. The directors and writers, meanwhile, are among those who directed/wrote the series "Gravity Falls", and you can see some of the influences there as well. The result is... beautiful. The best animated movie since "Into the Spider-Verse". I regret we couldn't see it in theaters.

Here's the more recent trailer (the first was under a temporary re-title to "Connected" before they returned it to the far superior "The Mitchells vs. the Machines").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ak5dFt8Ar0
Could be a Apple sponsored movie, had it not been that the Iphone in the movie turned evil and wanted to destroy humanity.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Zor wrote: 2021-05-03 02:25am I love this movie and it's cast, but this is pretty clearly a sci-fi movie.

Zor
A sci-fi movie of modern day Earth having a cell phone/electronics company developing anti-gravity weapons and technology. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I enjoyed 'phone bad: the movie'

For real though, very enjoyable, nicely characterised. I'm a sucker for feel good family bonding.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Alternative title aside from "Phones bad: The Movie" would be "Be Nice To Robots"

Like, You can guess from the previews what happens with "Pal" obviously turning evil.... But, like, dood, could you have something a little more subtle than LITERALLY throwing away an AI that has access to the worlds computer network and then calling it Trash?

Seriously the movie was a blast and amazing, the Robots stole the show as far as I was concerned. They look exactly like something Apple and Elon Musk would come up with, and behaved about the same. I have always said Terminator "CRUSH KILL DESTROYER" robots have grown tiresome in fiction, having a "Polite" machine uprising is far more enjoyable. The robots had some great lines and the voice actor was perfect in the role.

The Mitchell's themselves. Props for making a 'cringy' movie where, as far as I felt, didn't actually have any big "Cringe" moments. And thats hard these days with a lot of comedies that "try to hard". For a "kids cartoon" they did a good job of actually making me care about them and real emotion context. Like, the meaning on while little wooden Moose is so important.

Also mad props for.... And not sure how many people noticed... But having a LGBTQ Main character, AND NOT MAKING IT A CENTRAL PLOT POINT.
Like seriously, She spends about 5 seconds mentioning a "girl she really likes" in the start of the film, wears a rainbow button, and then at the very end of the film has her mom ask if shes going to bring said girl home for Thanksgiving to meet them. Thats it, like, congrats for making a "normal" no angst no drama gay lead character. 10 out of 10
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Solid movie. Can easily go head to head with one of the better Pixar movies