Dresden Files: Battle Grounds Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Dresden Files: Battle Grounds Trailer

Post by Lost Soal »

https://youtu.be/xKsWndEku2Q

Ive got the audiobook on pre order, can't wait.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Dresden Files: Battle Grounds Trailer

Post by Ralin »

It's not that I didn't enjoy Peace Talks, but I'm not enthused at paying full price again for what by all rights should have been the second half of the book.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I pre-ordered my hard-back copy when I bought Peace Talks.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Quite ... Foreboding.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Read through parts yesterday. It’s well worth the wait
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So far, the second book is going much better than the first, although I'm only up to chapter 13.

I'm still feeling a little weird about a live-action trailer for a book, but it seems to be working.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'm most of the way through. I've been saying this for most of a decade now, and it seems I'm probably right.
Spoiler
Lacuna is the tooth fairy
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Been putting off buying these since paperbacks. The books post Changes really haven't been as enjoyable to me. The one person i know on facebook who reads mentioned Peace Talks not being very good.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2020-09-30 11:03am Been putting off buying these since paperbacks. The books post Changes really haven't been as enjoyable to me. The one person i know on facebook who reads mentioned Peace Talks not being very good.
It's not bad. There just wasn't nearly as much violence as a book with that title should have had.

Currently 80 percent through. Holy fucking shit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2020-09-30 11:03am Been putting off buying these since paperbacks. The books post Changes really haven't been as enjoyable to me. The one person i know on facebook who reads mentioned Peace Talks not being very good.
Peace Talks was a relatively weak entry in the series, this is true.
Ralin wrote: 2020-09-30 11:08amCurrently 80 percent through. Holy fucking shit.
Yeah. Holy fucking shit. I'm currently on Chapter 32 so getting near the end.

Spoiler
Murphy's DEAD! OMG!
[/quote]
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
I like that it wasn't a motivational moment for Dresden the way the whole fridging trope usually works. It doesn't give him the strength to save the day, it doesn't push him to fight harder, she doesn't take one for the team. In fact, it pretty much destroys him and makes him less functional afterwards. It's just sheer bad luck and a dumbass with poor trigger discipline.

After she killed a giant, of course.

re: the ending

Hell Knight Marcone. Remember that time some idiot gave Batman a Green Lantern ring? At least it should lead to a rift between Marcone and Mab.

No idea where the hell they're going to go with this whole arranged marriage concept, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.

TRR is going to be piiiiiissssssed when he reads that part.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Spoiler
Hell Knight Marcone does explain a few things.

He does seem to be a rather laid back Hell Knight, and has been for some time. Wonder if it's more of a partnership thing like Nicodemus than a master/slave relationship like some other Denariians.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Spoiler
I have a feeling Rudy isn't going to jail for murder due the whole no body thing. Considering his past pathology Rudy will either blank that it even happened, or blame Dresden for it
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
There's basically no question that Marcone is in a Nicodemus style partnership with his Fallen.

Note that Thorned Namshiel was one of the Denarians who led the attack on Arctis Tor. Mab can't be happy about Marcone allying with him.

Also, you do realize Marcone is going to be making a bid to be the new leader of the Denarians, right?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2020-10-01 06:25am Spoiler
Also, you do realize Marcone is going to be making a bid to be the new leader of the Denarians, right?
He can certainly try...

That thought hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it, yeah, it could happen.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Can, and he's made a good start given that he just burned down the previous leader of the Denarians.

Also, Dracul as a random encounter. And he's a Starborn. And so is Listen, apparently?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Also god, that callback to the turkey.

More thoughts about Hell Knight Marcone. Back in Death Masks, when Nicodemus asked Marcone if he would be interested in working for him and Marcone said he was about to ask Nicodemus the same thing...could that possibly be foreshadowing?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Maybe, but frankly, I can't see either one be willing to submit to the other.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Hard to imagine. But losing everything and staring death in the face after millennia can get someone to do things they thought they'd never do. And the guy has more reason to fear the afterlife than most.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
So, thinking about it, what exactly is stopping them from decanting Thomas at this point? He's apparently fucked up badly enough that the usual White Court orgy feeding wouldn't fix it, seeing as there's been no mention of even trying. But if Lara thought there was no chance of him recovering she probably would have mercy-killed him. She cares about him, but she's also pragmatic enough to make that kind of decision. She already did decide to kill him back in Blood Rites when he announced he was going after their father. After the battle they should have the time and breathing room to get whatever it is they need to treat him long-term. Harry can go to to the Svartelves and try to hash things out in a less tense environment, and even if he can't it's not like they can see or go after Thomas on Demonreach. So...what are they waiting for?

Also, apparently short range Twilight Sparkle-style teleportation is possible with this setting's magic. And White Council has a standing order to not allow Harry access to any of the books on how to do it. Nice.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Lara was willing to kill Thomas in Blood Rites because she was terrified of her father, that's no longer an issue.
Spoiler
Odd he's surprised about the teleportation considering what he saw Dracul do.

Ivanova is always right.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
That was Drakul. This is Marcone. Someone who is supposed to be a mortal without anything in the way of magical talent. He probably didn't think Marcone would have been capable of using wizard magic even with a coin, and here he is being a better wizard than Harry.

Lara was willing to kill Thomas in Blood Rites out of fear of her father, and fear of what he would do to Thomas. She specifically phrased it in those terms, said she could be cruel but she would rather kill Thomas outright than put him through that.

Now yes, this was influenced by how terrified she was of her father at the time. But same general sentiment.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2020-10-03 10:34am Spoiler
That was Drakul. This is Marcone. Someone who is supposed to be a mortal without anything in the way of magical talent. He probably didn't think Marcone would have been capable of using wizard magic even with a coin, and here he is being a better wizard than Harry.
You mean... like Ivy can work magic? Of course, Ivy "cheats" by being the Archive. The individual you name "cheats" by having access to magical knowledge. Butters "cheats" by having access to Bob the Skull.

Clearly, vanilla humans can do magic. It's just a lot easier if you also have natural talent like Harry. But even Harry had to study, and study clearly makes Harry a better wizard.

Maybe one reason involving humans is considered a "nuclear option" is that they can do magic if they have sufficient knowledge and instruction, in addition to sheer numbers.

On a non-related meta-level topic: Spoiler
Was it necessary for the overall narrative for Murphy to die, because otherwise Dresden couldn't marry Lara as his relationship with Murphy would make him untouchable by a White Court vampire? I have a feeling that marriage on paper as a political alliance wouldn't work for Mab's purposes, it would have to be consummated.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Spoiler
Murphy being dead doesn't change his protective status, however we see it isn't as clear cut as originally stated. He can't be fed upon bu it doesn't mean they can't touch him, Lara has shown she has the control to touch him without being burnt.

Ivanova is always right.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2020-10-03 03:52pm You mean... like Ivy can work magic? Of course, Ivy "cheats" by being the Archive. The individual you name "cheats" by having access to magical knowledge. Butters "cheats" by having access to Bob the Skull.

Clearly, vanilla humans can do magic. It's just a lot easier if you also have natural talent like Harry. But even Harry had to study, and study clearly makes Harry a better wizard.
Yeaaaah, but Ivy has access to not just magical knowledge but All Of The Magical Knowledge. And I'd guess the previous hosts for the Archive took the time to ensure actual magical talent got mixed in with their bloodline. Butters can do magic with Bob's help, but he seems to do it in a very by the numbers way. He understands the theory likely better than Harry, but he can't really improvise and he can't sense the forces he's working at like a wizard would.

This guy went from nothing to full blown wizard power and skill. Based on what we see he's possibly a better wizard than Harry.

I'm not saying that breaks the rules of the setting or anything, but I didn't think it would work that way and I'm betting Harry didn't either.
Spoiler
Cassius was described as a minor/mediocre talent who became deadly with centuries of practice. Not a normal who became a deadly practitioner with centuries of practice.