What should be the next fantasy series adapted for tv

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: What should be the next fantasy series adapted for tv

Post by Formless »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-08-16 08:38pm Wow. I didn't know people were still touchy about Last Jedi. What was "disrespectful" about their depiction of Like losing his way?
In the interest of staying on topic, I think that's a question that should remain unanswered.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Talking about a Buffy reboot seems to be more about having a sequel rather than adapting a fantasy series for tv, hence outside the scope of the OP. Unless there were Buffy sequel stories which haven't been adapted to tv I guess.

Also having conversations about being "respectful" to the characters can veer off when people start to compare to productions where they feel it wasn't respectful. Problems arise when its far from universal whether people consider the work "disrespectful."

--------------------------------------------
Another possible series but most probably doesn't have the epic world building of others, could be the Harmony Black series by Craig Schaefer. A female witch and FBI agent solving crimes involving the supernatural. There is an overaching plot, but you can kind of do monster of the week with this series. It would most likely be fun, don't need that high quality special effects. Might also attract those who like mystery stories, because its essentially mystery in an urban fantasy world.

Again ticks the diversity quotient to try and appeal to a larger audience base.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I think it was Bernard Cromwell who wrote a three book series about King Arthur that was really good. The Winter King. It's a bit more down to earth and gritty and not so shiny as the traditional poems and later books and movies were. A touch of historical realism, though not touting it as totally realistic or historical.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-08-17 05:31am Another possible series but most probably doesn't have the epic world building of others, could be the Harmony Black series by Craig Schaefer. A female witch and FBI agent solving crimes involving the supernatural. There is an overaching plot, but you can kind of do monster of the week with this series. It would most likely be fun, don't need that high quality special effects. Might also attract those who like mystery stories, because its essentially mystery in an urban fantasy world.

Again ticks the diversity quotient to try and appeal to a larger audience base.
I find it beyond bizarre that there are people who think that the first book in that series is the best.

Schaefer does have a detailed and fairly convoluted metaplot and setting, but the rights would be a huge tangled knot given that he has multiple series in the same continuity but some of them are self-published and some of them are done through a publisher and also he has at least two other series and counting that are theoretically in another continuity but no one really expects him to stick to that.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Knife wrote: 2020-08-17 12:31pm I think it was Bernard Cromwell who wrote a three book series about King Arthur that was really good. The Winter King. It's a bit more down to earth and gritty and not so shiny as the traditional poems and later books and movies were. A touch of historical realism, though not touting it as totally realistic or historical.
An alternative might be the T.H. White version of the Arthur legendarium (the first book was made into the Disney animated film The Sword In The Stone). It's got a modern (well, -ish) feel to it, and yet IMHO at least, better and in a very different way to the TV series Merlin. Generous helpings of adventure and magic, (mostly) likeable good characters and (mostly) villainous bad characters. I think it could be made to work, with the proper treatment.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Knife wrote: 2020-08-17 12:31pm I think it was Bernard Cromwell who wrote a three book series about King Arthur that was really good. The Winter King. It's a bit more down to earth and gritty and not so shiny as the traditional poems and later books and movies were. A touch of historical realism, though not touting it as totally realistic or historical.
https://winteriscoming.net/2020/01/20/e ... arthur-tv/

It's coming.

I want a good Indian epic.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Nari
Youngling

Post by Nari »

Solauren wrote: 2020-08-11 07:32am
The Witcher TV show is focused on the extremely well written novel series that predates the video games, and is more accurate to the original source material...
Season 1 of the TV show at least was based on the stories from 'The Last Wish' and 'Sword of Destiny' books. I'm reading the English translations, but I don't know if I'd call those well written. I found them confusing and in some places incoherent.

'Blood of Elves' (and the later books in the 'main arc') on the other hand are well written, and I understand that Season 2 of the TV show will be based on that.

As for my proposed adaptation: The 'Daughter of the Empire' trilogy. I'd say that has enough intrigue and story to fuel a TV show; probably too big for a movie per book.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I would like to see Mistborn and other smaller side novels by Sanderson, can save the Stormlight archive for last.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-08-09 07:59pm Buffy reboot or Dresden Files.
There was a Dresden Files adaption, lasted one season. It deviated from the books on several points but I thought it all worked well in context (as an example, Bob was basically a human ghost imprisoned in the skull, not a "spirit of intellect", but it worked out fine for the show).

As usual, the episodes were shown out of order, probably a couple never made it on air, and was cancelled.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Since all the obvious/popular candidates have probably already been suggested, Boatmurdered the Movie, anyone?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series would probably be good, if a urban fantasy police procedural about the last two wizards (at least at the beginning) working for the London Metropolitan Police Department dealing with supernatural ('falcon' going by the in-universe police code) crime. The main character gets the job when he realizes that he took a witness statement from a ghost near a murder. The magic's generally fairly low powered, the main character is only an apprentice, and he spends much of the first few books trying to apply the scientific method to figure out how magic might work and develop new spells (magic has an EMP effect which is eventually weaponized).

The author was talking about a TV series when I saw him at a book signing a few years ago I don't think it's progressed all that far over that time.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nari wrote: 2020-09-16 02:52pm As for my proposed adaptation: The 'Daughter of the Empire' trilogy. I'd say that has enough intrigue and story to fuel a TV show; probably too big for a movie per book.
Are you talking Fiest & Wurst's Daughter of the Empire trilogy?

It was a great series, with Mara of Acoma as female antagonist far better than any of GOTs players imho. She schemes, manipulates, tricks, and yes, wars her way into becoming the most powerful woman in the Empire, and it's all done by her wits and her choice of allies. And that's just THE FIRST BOOK.

The Second Novel touches on the RiftWar with Midkemia, with a major character being a POW. Mara isn't involved in the RiftWar, being sent as far away from the 'honor' as possible, so it'd be challenging to work in how Pug the Magician ends the war while still keeping focus on Mara and Kevin's romance as she ends a long-standing rebellion.

The last novel has everything. Death of the Emperor, all clans battling for position, the Great Magicians stepping in for more havoc, and the end of an era.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Nari
Youngling

Post by Nari »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-10-14 05:19pm Are you talking Fiest & Wurst's Daughter of the Empire trilogy?

It was a great series, with Mara of Acoma as female antagonist far better than any of GOTs players imho. She schemes, manipulates, tricks, and yes, wars her way into becoming the most powerful woman in the Empire, and it's all done by her wits and her choice of allies. And that's just THE FIRST BOOK.
That’s the one! And I just noticed that they’re now available on Kindle (they didn’t seem to be for a long time) so might have to give them a spin again.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Given the way the WOT adaption has turned out (feels like a xena/hercules show to me) I dunno if I am that eager for more adaptations really. If they can't give it the time and budget it ought to have, better leave it alone. But of course they made it to make money from it and I can feel that when watching it. Just like so much other modern media it has the taint of late stage capitalism about it.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-08-09 07:59pm Buffy reboot or Dresden Files.
There was a Dresden Files TV show. Unfortunately, it only ran for one season.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Personally, I'd like some more Vampire Hunter D anime.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-12-23 08:44pm Personally, I'd like some more Vampire Hunter D anime.
So would I. Maybe an adaptation of 'The Stuff of Dreams' (the fifth novel)?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)