RWBY: Discussion Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Reyvan
Youngling

RWBY: Discussion Thread

Post by Reyvan »

I did a forum search and couldn't find any threads about RWBY, so I decided to make one. RWBY's been my quarantine show and I'm interested in everyone's takes on it.

For those who aren't familiar with it, RWBY is an anime(ish) webseries from Roosterteeth set on a planet called Remnant, which is described as a future fantasy world. Meaning they have giant hovering battleships and advanced AI, but also have magic, except the characters within the show don't consider their abilities to be magical. The main characters are a group of Huntresses in training, warriors who defend the four Kingdoms of Remnant from creatures of darkness called the Grimm, which are drawn to negative emotions. The show starts off pretty cheery, with school shenanigans (such as a super-powered food fight), and characters learning valuable lessons about seeking help for our faults and what it means to be a leader, interspersed with the main plot, but takes a dark turn partway through season 3. With season 4 and onwards the world the world opens up as the characters begin to explore it and head to different Kingdoms.

The first season is a bit... rough, it has some weird animation and a bit of bad voice acting, but they improve each season and the most recent season, 7, which wrapped up in February, is gorgeous.

Without getting too spoilery I especially loved season 7, which features a heroes descent into villainy due to their paranoia as a result of events which occurred in earlier seasons. Though if you look closer, were they ever really a hero to begin with?

Has anyone else been watching RWBY, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: RWBY: Discussion Thread

Post by Sidewinder »

I liked the first three seasons. Sadly, the quality of the storytelling dropped after Monty Oum's tragic death. Yes, I know Oum is an animator who viewed the story as a mere background for his awesome fight scenes, but he was able to make the writers FOCUS and avoid drawing the audience's attention from his awesome fight scenes.

With Season Four, the cracks showed immediately. The episodes alternately focused on each member of Team RWBY as they did seemingly unrelated things in four different areas, making the story harder to follow; and as Oum's replacements weren't as competent in fight choreography, there were no distractions from the plot holes. Personally, I'd have edited the season to simply focus on one member of Team RWBY until she completed her in-season arc, before moving onto the next member, so the audience's attention wouldn't waver.

Season Five was the last one I saw, and it failed to maintain my interest in the series; I've yet to see Six or Seven, nor bought their DVDs/Blu-rays (I bought them for Seasons 1-3).
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Reyvan
Youngling

Re: RWBY: Discussion Thread

Post by Reyvan »

Unfortunately I seem to have the opposite opinion of you. I find re-watching the first three seasons to be more difficult than 4-7. Is the storytelling perfect at all times? No, but I find it to be enjoyable enough, and I don't really see the plot holes that get mentioned beyond season 3, with the exception of it being really unclear how much time passed between the different stories in volume 4 and 5, with Blake's section seeming to be a wild weekend, while everyone else's story was spread out over the better part of a year. Volume 4 and 5 both work pretty well as movies, though I could see how they would be pretty slow if you were watching them week by week.

I agree that the fight at the end of volume 5 is very weak, but the other fights in volume 4 and 5 work pretty well. Tyrian vs Team RNJR and Qrow is pretty good, and despite the animation errors, RNJR vs the Nuckeleave is pretty good too. I don't really agree that the fights have dramatically gotten worse since Monty's time though, I'd say the quality is about the same, there are just fewer fights. The big battle at the end of volume 2 is pretty bad, but a couple of the individual fights leading up to it are pretty fun, like Neo vs Yang.

If you stopped watching at volume 5, I'd suggest giving volume 6 a try at least, its much better than volume 5, and if its the fights you want, they're pretty good. If you want an sampler of how fights are handled past volume 5 I'd recommend watchingBlake and Yang vs Adam on youtube. The fights in volume 7 are also very good. Volume 7 also does world-building much better than any of the other seasons, in a single season you learn much more about how Atlas runs than you learned about Vale in 1-3 and Mistral in 4-6. Volume 6 has a fair amount of world-building too, though more about the world of Remnant than about any specific Kingdom. You learn a lot about Salem and Ozpin, whats up with Ruby's eyes, why Remnant is called Remnant, and what happened to the moon.