Race in the wheel of time

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Race in the wheel of time

Post by mr friendly guy »

I didn't realise that people obsessed over race in the Wheel of Time. :lol: If only these people obsessed with characters being played by non white people who they think were white, would apply the same standard to the Last Airbender. :D

An example of this interest in race in WoT given in the video is that some people thought Andor was analogous to England,therefore the characters are white. Now I just thought Andor was generic fantasy white country, but I am wrong. Their first queen had dark skin, and its quite ethnically diverse.

This video is good, but buttressed with quotes to suggest that the a lot of countries are ethnically diverse, kind of like real countries. One particularly damning quote for those proponents of "Eamonds field is white" is when Elaida confronts Rand in the Eye of the World, and expresses surprise he is from the Two Rivers because his skin is so pale. Rand is descended from Aiel who are definitely white.

Thus some of the main characters could be white, but because of the evidence presented, I think there is enough leeway in canon that they could be darker skin individuals as well, especially since Jordan who was obsessed with describing what each character was wearing, didn't care enough to describe their race. So its not really a big deal to say, have Egwene played by Indigenous Australian actress Madeleine Madden, even though the book covers show her as white (think book 2, The Great Hunt, the editions in the 1990s).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Race in the wheel of time

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yup. Another series, another cast that isn't as white as a Klansman's headgear, and the limp-dick brigade comes crawling out of the woodwork to whine about the "war on white men" (aka how dare people who don't look like us exist?).

Fuck them all. Its gotten to the point where I actively want an all-Black Women Lord of the Rings remake just to spite these motherfuckers.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.