Rar: zombies and vaccines

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Rar: zombies and vaccines

Post by madd0ct0r »

A zombie plauge has broken out. Sufferers are human with no magic endurance. 28 days later, not walking dead.

In this case the contaigon is passed on in sweat. Much like foaming rabies, people with an active infection sweat profusely. They move with jerky spasms that flick droplets a good distance around them.
The sweat makes them mostly blind, desperately thirsty and craving salt. The first week are largely asymptotic, beyond cold flashes and itchiness of the eyes less then 3% of contacts will infect. After that the infection intensifies. A week later frenzy and blood drinking is common and infection on contact is 85%.

Containment has failed. Every city with an airport that appears on this list has am outbreak. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... er_traffic

The disease appears to be curable, although genetic sampling suggests it mutates fast enough immunity is unlikely to last above 20months. Labs around the world are working on vaccines, the hope is less then 12 months.

How to deal with the outbreaks ethically?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Rar: zombies and vaccines

Post by Solauren »

Mass knock out gas attacks against the infected.
Once they are knocked out, keep them in medically induced comas.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Solauren wrote: 2020-04-26 05:43pm Mass knock out gas attacks against the infected.
Once they are knocked out, keep them in medically induced comas.

Would that work? The only knockout gas use I can recall was that botched anti terror one in Russia, and that was a hostage situation in a confined space, not things sprinting towards you in the street.

Or do you mean a small force on ground as bait and then cropdusters filled with the most potent cannabis resin available?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Whatever would work. If it turns out trapping them in a building and pumping it full of laughing gas would work, do it. Hell, if someone figures out a belt feed automatic tranq-rifle (deliberatly far-fetched), use that!

But, since these 'zombies' are not dead, knocking them out and keeping them in medical commas is the easiest way to control them.

Also, if they really are ravening mad, if it comes down to dealing with them on the outside, you can assume anyone inside a house is not infected, or at least contained.

At that point, knock them out (however is possible), and then keep them contained. No need to kill them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It's kind of impossible to really judge this scenario without understanding exactly what you mean by "Containment has failed" in your OP. As with many zombie scenarios, it ultimately comes down to how much time military/security forces have to plan, organize, and react to the outbreak. Are we pre-supposing that the outbreak has spread aggressively enough to the extent that the capacity of government authorities to respond has been in some way compromised?