Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresden Files) NOW WITH SPOILER ALERT!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ralin wrote: 2019-12-18 12:53am All understandable and he had every right to take what time he needed dealing with stuff.

Still frustrating though, and it does seem like at some point he could have just rented an office if he needed a dedicated work space.

Either way, glad the wait will finally end.
Man actually writes pretty fast, overall. This'll be, what, his 23rd. novel in twenty years? In addition to several comics, two short story anthologies, and whatever involvement he's had in the TV adaptations.

Even during the long wait between Skin Game and Peace Talks, he still put out an unrelated novel and several short stories IIRC.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-12-18 01:07am Man actually writes pretty fast, overall.
He writes at about the same rate as George R R Martin if you go by words published instead of by book. I once saw someone do the math in a thread on another message board.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I definitely prefer his approach. I'd rather have one moderately-long book every year or two than a massive tome every decade.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The problem is that even if he had rented a decided office for writing he still wouldn't have had the headspace for it. With that much going on crafting a good novel is just not likely.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-12-18 04:12am The problem is that even if he had rented a decided office for writing he still wouldn't have had the headspace for it. With that much going on crafting a good novel is just not likely.
The comments I've read for him made it sound like the lack of a dedicated writing space was the biggest issue. Which is completely legit. But yeah, can't know what all was affecting him and how much. Tev's post was the first I'd heard about his divorce being especially unpleasant.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2019-12-18 04:32am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-12-18 04:12am The problem is that even if he had rented a decided office for writing he still wouldn't have had the headspace for it. With that much going on crafting a good novel is just not likely.
The comments I've read for him made it sound like the lack of a dedicated writing space was the biggest issue. Which is completely legit. But yeah, can't know what all was affecting him and how much. Tev's post was the first I'd heard about his divorce being especially unpleasant.
Divorce is never nice, there's always bad feelings. Add in the sheer amount of money he'd made from Dresden and Codex Alera? Yeah, that made it unpleasant.

I also get his "need space to work". It was, as Broomstick said, only part of the problem -- he was trying to live with future in-laws (stress), deal with the problems of the house (stress), get a wedding in order (stress), and work on not only Dresden but also the next Cinderspire. Stress becomes depression, becomes lack of creativity, becomes total "Fuck it, I can't do this right now".
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Cover has been released:

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You know, somehow, Dresden standing in what looks like either a battlefield or a meteor crater with "Peace Talks" as a banner sort of sums up the entire series...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Butcher did say awhile back that it would be one of the more violent books in the series.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ralin wrote: 2020-01-27 03:44am And the first excerpt: https://ew.com/books/2020/01/16/jim-but ... s-preview/
That totally is not a Hound of Tindalos.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2020-01-28 06:10pm
Ralin wrote: 2020-01-27 03:44am And the first excerpt: https://ew.com/books/2020/01/16/jim-but ... s-preview/
Bah those are only CR-7, sure the greater teleport and the Gaze can be nasty but Dresden can drop 10d6 in a round without straining himself.

Either way more Outsiders fun should be interesting since one of the long running Chekhov guns is Dresden having an upper hand on them for reasons not yet gone into.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Definitely feels like Butcher is getting into his endgame now, now that he's more or less sorted out the immediate aftermath of Changes, and is starting the final build-up to the apocalyptic trilogy he's been promising us for so long.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I like "cornerhound".

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-01-28 06:16pm
Bah those are only CR-7, sure the greater teleport and the Gaze can be nasty but Dresden can drop 10d6 in a round without straining himself.

Either way more Outsiders fun should be interesting since one of the long running Chekhov guns is Dresden having an upper hand on them for reasons not yet gone into.
Nope, totally not a Hound of Tindalos.
But I thought they explained that Dresden had power over the Outsiders because he was born on Halloween/Samhain, a Night of Power.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-29 11:57pm But I thought they explained that Dresden had power over the Outsiders because he was born on Halloween/Samhain, a Night of Power.
Surely that's only part of it at most. It would seem very anti-climatic if roughly 1/365ths of the entire human race have Harry's implied special and important anti-Outsider powers.

I mean, Maeve outright mentioned how thrilled she was to be killing a Starborn. Sounds like they're pretty rare. We don't ever hear about Winter recruiting people born on Halloween or something like that.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ralin wrote: 2020-01-30 01:45am
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-29 11:57pm But I thought they explained that Dresden had power over the Outsiders because he was born on Halloween/Samhain, a Night of Power.
Surely that's only part of it at most. It would seem very anti-climatic if roughly 1/365ths of the entire human race have Harry's implied special and important anti-Outsider powers.

I mean, Maeve outright mentioned how thrilled she was to be killing a Starborn. Sounds like they're pretty rare. We don't ever hear about Winter recruiting people born on Halloween or something like that.
We've been told his birthday is an important as was the time and possibly the place as well. HOW it's important is yet to be explained just a vague kind of oh your birthday was special and few people calling him Starborn

From the wiki
Dresden Wiki wrote: There was a complex confluence of events, of energies, of circumstances that would have given a child born under them the potential to wield power over Outsiders.
— Lash to Harry Dresden during the battle of the Deeps, shortly before her death.[1]

Starborn is alluded to rarely throughout the series, its implications briefly described only once in White Night. He Who Walks Behind calls Dresden Child of the stars,[2] and in Cold Days both the Erlking[3] and Maeve[4] refer to Dresden by the title of "Starborn".

the Leanansidhe implies that He Who Walks Behind was preparing Dresden, molding him
What it MEANS however is still left up to interpretation. What does being Starborn mean is what I want to know. To go back to D&D terminology is this a born on this day gain bonuses on your saving throws thing where we might see McCoy struggling but Dresden is fine with some outsider attack? Or is this a Mistborn thing where if you've got the right power you can dominate an Outsider to your will? Or is it SOMETHING ELSE (TM) like Harry being able to do something very few Wizard can do.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Being born on Halloween is likely necessary but not sufficient. Given the name, some particular alignment of the stars is almost certainly also involved. And maybe some other things as well.

As for what it means, we know that magic barely works on Outsiders but Harry was able to see off He Who Walks Behind as a teenager, so that's almost certainly part of it. Being able to really hit an Outsider.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Morgan POV short. Spoilers for Turn Coat, Changes and Cold Days: https://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2020/ ... t-and-more

Holy fucking shit.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Vendetta wrote: 2020-01-30 02:15pm

Being born on Halloween is likely necessary but not sufficient. Given the name, some particular alignment of the stars is almost certainly also involved. And maybe some other things as well.

As for what it means, we know that magic barely works on Outsiders but Harry was able to see off He Who Walks Behind as a teenager, so that's almost certainly part of it. Being able to really hit an Outsider.
Yes but how much of that was Harry's magic and how much was the petrol station exploding?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost Soal wrote: 2020-03-12 08:31am ]New Microfiction set during Changes[/url]
WOW. That's... ... painful.
I don't know who to feel for more. :(

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

She obviously knew what game was being played, that's why she ordered the chest.

Ivanova is always right.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Which does raise the question of whether she did anything else to set up Dresden's resurrection or if she just knew Mab's contingency plans and made sure Kincaid did something survivable.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Damn. The feels