Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresden Files) NOW WITH SPOILER ALERT!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Ralin »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-03-28 12:41pm Also White Court tend to leave their victims alive far more often then Reds and Black. Sure the corpse stink of Blacks and the vampire bat monster thing of Reds is off putting but at the end of the day a White Court victim tends to still be functional the day after unless your someone like Madeline Raith.
The Reds at least were shown/stated to have a culture that emphasized controlling one's blood thirst and often recognized the benefits to not killing most of their victims. Not seeing any evidence that they slipped up and killed someone (or just decided they didn't care) more often than the White Court.

As opposed to Black Court vampires that just don't give a fuck.
Are you counting Thomas hairdressing work as daily rape?
It was a very precarious existence even before the skinwalker ripped it apart. And still creepy and more than a little harmful even if it was a genuine attempt to minimize that.
Or Felicia Raith who by all accounts is just a club girl?
I forget who exactly that was, but it's established that past a certain point even the most willing White Court victim loses the ability to decide they don't want to go along with the feeding/sex. In a sense they -can't- have consensual sex.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Mr Bean »

Ralin wrote: 2020-03-28 01:42pm

The Reds at least were shown/stated to have a culture that emphasized controlling one's blood thirst and often recognized the benefits to not killing most of their victims. Not seeing any evidence that they slipped up and killed someone (or just decided they didn't care) more often than the White Court.
The Red Court and the entirety of South America where the Red's hold sway, the stories we hear from Susan Rodriguez.
Ralin wrote: 2020-03-28 01:42pm
It was a very precarious existence even before the skinwalker ripped it apart. And still creepy and more than a little harmful even if it was a genuine attempt to minimize that.
Or Felicia Raith who by all accounts is just a club girl?
I forget who exactly that was, but it's established that past a certain point even the most willing White Court victim loses the ability to decide they don't want to go along with the feeding/sex. In a sense they -can't- have consensual sex.
Fine on Thomas but to remind you Felicia is the Raith we met acting as the Raith contact to the secondary squad handling things while Dresden is dead in Ghost Stories. From all accounts Felicia is a literal party girl running around clubs having a good time and feed from multiple people if you take my hint. As for they can't have consensual sex I believe the line was in essence that being fed on by a member of the White Court was addictive.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-03-28 03:06pm The Red Court and the entirety of South America where the Red's hold sway, the stories we hear from Susan Rodriguez.
We're told that the Reds in South America spread their feedings out to avoid killing their subjects. Most of what I remember Susan saying involves them being cruel and fostering wars.
As for they can't have consensual sex I believe the line was in essence that being fed on by a member of the White Court was addictive.
Lara tells us that past a certain point the person being fed on is a shrieking animal barely of forming a coherent thought, much less deciding to stop. Our real-life concepts of consent aren't designed to handle this sort of thing, but...yeah.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

https://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresd ... -chapter-4

The fourth teaser chapter is up, and holy shit Butcher is not pulling his punches with this one
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ralin wrote: 2020-06-24 05:51am https://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresd ... -chapter-4

The fourth teaser chapter is up, and holy shit Butcher is not pulling his punches with this one
It only took until reading the chapter before this one that Ebenezer doesn't know what Harry does about Thomas.

God, I am dense...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2020-06-24 08:23pm
Ralin wrote: 2020-06-24 05:51am https://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresd ... -chapter-4

It only took until reading the chapter before this one that Ebenezer doesn't know what Harry does about Thomas.

God, I am dense...
You're not the only one. I also never put the clues together.
But think of what will happen when he DOES find out! :twisted: And, finds out there's another great-grandchild on the way!

Otherwise -- Dresden was right. Ebenezer's hands-off policy bit him on the ass, and they'd not be where they were now.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I could have sworn I'd seen a quote from Butcher saying that McCoy knew about Thomas.
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-06-26 02:51pmOtherwise -- Dresden was right. Ebenezer's hands-off policy bit him on the ass, and they'd not be where they were now.
Really? I think the way the confrontation was written neither of them was clearly right or wrong. Hell, even Etri had a good point (ie, shut the fuck up, you're scaring the kids).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ebineezer is completely right about Harry being a danger to the people around him, and about Harry's tending to let his emotions get in the way of his reason.

And he still absolutely deserved what Harry said to him there.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, preordered my copies of Peace Talks and Battle Ground (to be released in September). Normally I'd just get a new Dresden book from the library, but I can't count on (and wouldn't want to risk) doing that thanks to covid so... take my money Jim. At least I'll get an employee discount on them (there are perks to working in a bookstore).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

OAN I read all of these in one go, very interesting pre-ordered
Also Here's Chapter 5 now with Murphy

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, that exchange between Harry and McCoy pretty much sold me on preordering. Now to read the Murphy chapter.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Rudolph is really playing with fire here. Dresden is at the stage in his career where he could and possibly would react violently. And Murphy might not stop him.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Spoiler
I'm thinking it's not Marcone holding Rudolph's leash, but one of the Fomori.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Honestly, the most sensible thing, given his abrupt shift in character and allegiances after his first appearance, would be that he got nabbed by the Outsiders. It would be better than the old "IA are rats for breaking the Blue Wall" cliche, which is basically all his character is otherwise.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-02 02:40pm Honestly, the most sensible thing, given his abrupt shift in character and allegiances after his first appearance, would be that he got nabbed by the Outsiders. It would be better than the old "IA are rats for breaking the Blue Wall" cliche, which is basically all his character is otherwise.
Being venial and a tinpot dictator when given an ounce of power and authority doesn't contradict anything I remember about his early characterization. He doesn't seem like a candidate for Outsider influence. He doesn't have any real reason to have been on their radar and we know that Nemesis has to have some sort of limits on its ability to control people because otherwise they would just pod person their way through the supernatural community instead of targeting specific important individuals like we've seen it doing.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Cannot wait for Peace Talks to come out, I haven't been hyped for a book release since I read the story of another wizard named Harry when I was a wee lad. My girlfriend also just finished the audiobook of Storm Front (she was a massive Buffy fan and James Marsters was her first celeb crush which helped swing it :lol: ) and she loved it, looking forward to her working her way through the rest of the epic saga.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-02 02:40pmIt would be better than the old "IA are rats for breaking the Blue Wall" cliche, which is basically all his character is otherwise.
Also, Butcher is steering clear of painting Internal Affairs in a bad light. Harry really did help rob a bank. Murphy is bare minimum a known associate of his, and was badly injured under suspicious circumstances around the same time. The other IA detective is portrayed as being fair, competent and dedicated. Really the only thing making them look bad is association with Rudolph, and they can't help that anymore than Special Investigations could.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Just started the audiobook as it was simul-launched with the book today.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'm about halfway through. It's good.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Won't be getting my copy until Saturday at soonest- I'm trying to avoid unnecessary trips out, so I'll pick it up next time I'm at work.

I'll be avoiding this thread and any spoilers until then.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Spoiler
A little annoyed we didn't actually see the peace talks before Eithniu and Corb fucked it all up. The cliffhanger was also annoying and I'm wondering why Ivy didn't react to Harry given how heartbroken she is when faced with his death. Still it did a good job setting up for the battle with Eithniu and I really think the Masquerade is going to collapse after this.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Well, that was certainly a nice prologue. For the next book.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2020-07-15 05:29pm Well, that was certainly a nice prologue. For the next book.
My thoughts exactly. Also explains why it's coming out so soon -- Butcher couldn't fit all of it into just one book, so he had to break it up.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

He's left us a LOT of clues, tho....
Spoiler
First, why are so many people surrounding Justine. I think there's a lot more going on with how emphatic Thomas was to say her name. I wondering if it's more than just a warning that there's a threat *TO* her. What if he's warning AGAINST her?

Second ... Holy Shit, when Butcher said the stakes got high he wasn't kidding. Eithne, daughter of Balar? Mother of Lugh (and two other sons who were said to be drowned in the sea). But, the Accord Allies are right -- she's got NO IDEA what humans are capable of now.
And interesting information about Mab as well. She knew Merlin, but was that before she was Lady Winter? Back when Grandmother Winter was Queen? How long ago did she take up the Mantle?
And that whole Six hundred Sixty Six years for a Starborn. Does that touch ALL who were born under that Conjunction of stars, or just those already Mage-born? The UN states 360,000 babies are born PER DAY across the entire world. Assuming the Conjunction moves over the Earth like the Moon's Umbra during an eclipse, that could be a swath 90miles wide. Since stars are further out than the moon, it could be less than ten miles. How many babies fell within that swath when Harry was born? 3? 60? 300?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresdhttp://bbs.stardestroyer.net/posting.php?mode=reply&f=32&en Files) NOW WITH SPOILER AL

Post by LadyTevar »

NOTICE! PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS FOR ANY DISCUSSION ABOUT THE NOVEL FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS
SOME PEOPLE HAVEN'T READ IT YET