Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresden Files) NOW WITH SPOILER ALERT!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jim Butcher Peace Talks (Dresden Files) NOW WITH SPOILER ALERT!

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/D ... -is-Coming
Peace Talks, the 16th book of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, is finally complete!

Author Jim Butcher has taken it to his Twitter account to announce the completion of his upcoming Dresden Files novel.

T
H
E

E
N
D

I love typing that.

— Jim Butcher (@longshotauthor) July 22, 2019
"THE END," Butcher tweeted. "I love writing that."

According to Jim-Butcher.com, the final chapter is now in the betas' clutches, and soon it will be published, so expect a release date soon.

In addition to Butcher's update, Jim-Butcher.com also announced that a trailer for Peace Talks is currently in pre-production. The trailer is described to be "live-action cinematic-style production" that promotes the upcoming book, and that it will be shot in Los Angeles. They are also hiring talent to be a part of the trailer.

Here are the positions they're trying to fill for the live-action Peace Talks trailer:

Camera Team: DP, 1st and 2nd ACs, Grips, Gaffer, DIT.

Production Designer and Assistant

Costume Designer

Hair and Make Up Artists: Beauty MUA, FX MUA, and Hair Stylist.

Sound Recordist/Boom Operator

Editor

Sound Editor and Mixer

Composer

VFX Artists and Compositors (don’t need to be local)

If you're interested in being an actor for the trailer, here's the description of what they're looking for:

Performers: Both SAG and Non-Union actors are invited to apply. Look for “Warden of Chicago” and “Warden of Chicago (Additional Roles)” on Actors Access/Breakdown Express for list of characters and descriptions. We’re holding the next set of auditions this weekend, July 27th and 28th, so please submit your headshot, resume, and reel via Actors Access by noon Pacific this Thursday, July 24th.

Here's what Butcher said about Peace Talks:

"A summit of the world's supernatural powers is being held to try to establish some sort of equilibrium and to get everything settled down in the wake of the vanishing of the red court. And I'm pretty sure everyone's going to sit down and have a nice cup of tea, there'll be a talk, and walk away holding hands."

No release date has been announced for Peace Talks yet but we'll keep you updated once we hear more about the next Dresden Files book. Jim Butcher is planning to write Book #2 of his Cinder Spires series after he completes Peace Talks. It will be called The Olympian Affair.
They're shooting a trailer for the book. There was one for Skin Game as well, but that was a fan group (albeit done with Jim's permission and in consultation with him):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZUvrlQWuY

This one's going to be professionally done.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2020-07-16 10:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's now out, and people are talking about it
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Mr Bean »

So long have I been waiting to see the Council's reaction to Harry Dresden dead for tax reasons for the last year, current Winter Night to Mab and oh his former apprentice is currently the Winter Lady and he's responsible for the death of the entire Red Court.

I've been waiting for the Merlin and the rest of the council to interact with Dresden 2.0 for so many years now since he's basically been lying low since his death undo and I have hopes it will be as volcanic and memorable as can be.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Jim Butcher has finally finished Peace Talks (Dresden Files). Release date coming soon.

Post by Majin Gojira »

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-08-18 05:58am So long have I been waiting to see the Council's reaction to Harry Dresden dead for tax reasons for the last year, current Winter Night to Mab and oh his former apprentice is currently the Winter Lady and he's responsible for the death of the entire Red Court.

I've been waiting for the Merlin and the rest of the council to interact with Dresden 2.0 for so many years now since he's basically been lying low since his death undo and I have hopes it will be as volcanic and memorable as can be.
Throw in what Molly accidentally did to Ramirez in that short story, and oooh boy this is going to be a thing.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-08-18 09:57am
Mr Bean wrote: 2019-08-18 05:58am So long have I been waiting to see the Council's reaction to Harry Dresden dead for tax reasons for the last year, current Winter Night to Mab and oh his former apprentice is currently the Winter Lady and he's responsible for the death of the entire Red Court.

Throw in what Molly accidentally did to Ramirez in that short story, and oooh boy this is going to be a thing.
Changes was 11 years ago, and everything that happened since then (Ghost stories, Cold Days, Skin Game) has teased us about the shit show from the Red Court genocide. Eight years I've been waiting to see that storm break.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I literally ploughed through all 15 (audio)books nonstop starting last year for the first time and I can't imagine waiting years on end for the next one to be published - but I guess after I devour this one I'll be in the same boat as the rest of you sorry gits!

I absolutely adore this series and it's all thanks to this board that I started in the first place.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Iroscato wrote: 2019-08-18 12:40pm I literally ploughed through all 15 (audio)books nonstop starting last year for the first time and I can't imagine waiting years on end for the next one to be published - but I guess after I devour this one I'll be in the same boat as the rest of you sorry gits!

I absolutely adore this series and it's all thanks to this board that I started in the first place.
I'm in the same boat, I started the Dresden files at a bad point in my life, it got recommended to me way back in 2012 but never picked up the series for several more years until I saw a display of it in my local library and grabbed Storm Front and Fool's Moon checked them out and read them during my commute, I went back to the series in 2018 and got the entire wonderful audio book collection off Audible. The narration on the books is some of the best I've listen to by James Marsters. If it ever gets a netflix series after the failed TV show I'd love to see him be Bob.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Honestly, while he's probably too old to play Harry in live action, Marsters is qualified to voice pretty much every role, and we know he'd make a damn fine Bob.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

To say nothing of Dresden and Murphy meeting Kincaid again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-18 10:25pm

To say nothing of Dresden and Murphy meeting Kincaid again.
Does Murphy know Kincaid was the trigger guy for Harry's suicide attempt? Harry I believe speculated in Ghost Story that she had probably guessed it/was in denial about it, but did anyone actually tell her? I don't recall it coming up in Skin Game.

Boy, I don't know who Murphy will be more pissed at, Kincaid or Harry, if that gets dropped on her and Harry didn't tell her.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-18 10:29pm Does Murphy know Kincaid was the trigger guy for Harry's suicide attempt? Harry I believe speculated in Ghost Story that she had probably guessed it/was in denial about it, but did anyone actually tell her? I don't recall it coming up in Skin Game.

Boy, I don't know who Murphy will be more pissed at, Kincaid or Harry, if that gets dropped on her and Harry didn't tell her.
Harry was pretty sure of it, but it hasn't come up since then. If she hadn't put the pieces together already than surely she would after she found out that Harry arranged a hit on himself.

Moot point because you know damned well that Harry is going to tell Kincaid that he still owes him a favor because he botched the last one.

To which Kincaid will no doubt respond by offering to shoot Harry again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-18 10:37pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-18 10:29pm Does Murphy know Kincaid was the trigger guy for Harry's suicide attempt? Harry I believe speculated in Ghost Story that she had probably guessed it/was in denial about it, but did anyone actually tell her? I don't recall it coming up in Skin Game.

Harry was pretty sure of it, but it hasn't come up since then. If she hadn't put the pieces together already than surely she would after she found out that Harry arranged a hit on himself.

Moot point because you know damned well that Harry is going to tell Kincaid that he still owes him a favor because he botched the last one.

To which Kincaid will no doubt respond by offering to shoot Harry again.
I suppose Harry walking around and doing living people stuff is kind of a black mark on Kincaid's professional rep as a hitman. :wink:

Hmm, forget Murphy, does Ivy know? I'd guess so. Detective of no, if Murphy has the brains to put it together, I'd be rather surprised if the living repository of all written knowledge didn't.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-18 10:41pm
Hmm, forget Murphy, does Ivy know? I'd guess so. Detective of no, if Murphy has the brains to put it together, I'd be rather surprised if the living repository of all written knowledge didn't.
Well yeah, obviously. She was probably in the room when Dresden ordered the hit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-18 10:53pm
Well yeah, obviously. She was probably in the room when Dresden ordered the hit.
Not only that but consider the following, she knows all things written down
So she knows about Kincaids tickets to the area plus any notes he took
She know the entirety of the police investigation which would be written down in triplicate
She knows what if anything Marcone knows about the situation and his helpful staff would provide their boss with written reports on who killed Wizard Dresden.
She knows anything anyone else wrote down about the shooting.
She has the knowledge and memory of humanity, she can piece it together even if she was taking a nap at the time Dresden called in.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Speaking of, I really hope we'll see Ivy again in Peace Talks.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-18 11:15pm Speaking of, I really hope we'll see Ivy again in Peace Talks.
Spoiler
I believe Butcher has said we will. Which is why I'm taking it as a given that Kincaid will be there
Also I'd give really good odds on her serving as the Dresden family babysitter for Maggie and Bonnie. She is, after all, a teenager by now
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-19 01:41am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-18 11:15pm Speaking of, I really hope we'll see Ivy again in Peace Talks.
Spoiler
I believe Butcher has said we will. Which is why I'm taking it as a given that Kincaid will be there
Also I'd give really good odds on her serving as the Dresden family babysitter for Maggie and Bonnie. She is, after all, a teenager by now
Well, those are going to be the best-protected kids on the planet, unless protecting them violates the Archive's neutrality. Then she'll throw them under the bus faster than you can blink.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Iroscato wrote: 2019-08-18 12:40pm I literally ploughed through all 15 (audio)books nonstop starting last year for the first time and I can't imagine waiting years on end for the next one to be published - but I guess after I devour this one I'll be in the same boat as the rest of you sorry gits!
Butcher used to be really good about regularly publishing sequels at about one a year. This is the longest wait between books thus far. Hopefully this is the exception, not the norm. But if it is, at least there are the short stories which come out fairly frequently.
I was introduced to the series partly by this board, and partly by the short-lived TV series.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2019-08-18 10:53pm
No, it was just Dresden, Molly, and Kincaid on the phone. There's a very brief mention of it. Dresden called Kincaid, then had Molly erase the memory of doing so from his mind.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 01:46am Well, those are going to be the best-protected kids on the planet, unless protecting them violates the Archive's neutrality. Then she'll throw them under the bus faster than you can blink.
I forget where in the storyline it happened, but someone once pointed out that people who threaten those Dresden cares about tend to wind up dead. And those who threaten Dresden's kid(s) tend to not only end up dead, but so does everyone else associated with them (see: Red Court (extinct)). It's a whole different level of stupid to threaten Dresden's kids.

When the kids are at the Carpenter's they have angelic protection, just like the rest of the family. And Molly bought a house down the street to keep an eye on the family, so they have the Winter Lady's protection. At least one Knight of the Cross (two if the Jedi is in town, and he's from Chicago). And Mouse for a body guard. And Dresden.

Holy crap - that's probably the safest house on the planet!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-19 05:53am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 01:46am Well, those are going to be the best-protected kids on the planet, unless protecting them violates the Archive's neutrality. Then she'll throw them under the bus faster than you can blink.
I forget where in the storyline it happened, but someone once pointed out that people who threaten those Dresden cares about tend to wind up dead. And those who threaten Dresden's kid(s) tend to not only end up dead, but so does everyone else associated with them (see: Red Court (extinct)). It's a whole different level of stupid to threaten Dresden's kids.
Doesn't mean there aren't a lot of beings in the setting arrogant enough to try it.

The point was raised by Michael in Skin Game. though.
When the kids are at the Carpenter's they have angelic protection, just like the rest of the family. And Molly bought a house down the street to keep an eye on the family, so they have the Winter Lady's protection. At least one Knight of the Cross (two if the Jedi is in town, and he's from Chicago). And Mouse for a body guard. And Dresden.

Holy crap - that's probably the safest house on the planet!
Probably, but also quite possibly the house with the most enemies on the planet.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 05:04amButcher used to be really good about regularly publishing sequels at about one a year. This is the longest wait between books thus far. Hopefully this is the exception, not the norm. But if it is, at least there are the short stories which come out fairly frequently.
When I had the chance to actually talk to Mr. Butcher (a simple "thank you for the books" turned into a half hour conversation) he said that the more successful he became as a writer the less time he actually had to write, and that "managing the brand" (his words) began eating up more and more of his time. He sort of had to re-organize his life and work in order to get focused back on the writing. And it's great he can be accessible to fans, but a half an hour you're talking to him is a half an hour he's not writing, multiply by everyone who bumps into him and wants a conversation. Obviously, the man is entitled to a social life and to enjoy his success, go to places and do things like the rest of us, but his mention of all the irons he has in the fire had me going um, yeah, that does seem like a lot keeping you busy.

But, you know - I'd rather wait a couple of years for a good book than get schlock on time. As long as he lives long enough to finish writing the series, and I live long enough to finish reading it.

And, bonus! I found out one of the tertiary characters I particularly enjoy reading (I don't necessarily like the character as a person, not someone I'd want to meet in real life, I just like the way the person fits into the stories) is going to be in Peace Talks.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 05:55amDoesn't mean there aren't a lot of beings in the setting arrogant enough to try it.
Well... yes. That's why we continue to have stories.

But some critters are getting the message - remember the scene where a Red Court vampire gets a glimpse of Dresden coming down a hallway? The vampire screams like a little girl and runs away, terrified. Dresden is now what the monsters are afraid of.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-19 06:03am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 05:55amDoesn't mean there aren't a lot of beings in the setting arrogant enough to try it.

But some critters are getting the message - remember the scene where a Red Court vampire gets a glimpse of Dresden coming down a hallway? The vampire screams like a little girl and runs away, terrified. Dresden is now what the monsters are afraid of.
Or that wonderful moment in Turn Coat when he faces off with the Warden squad and they hesitate to attack him, because to them, he's not Harry Dresden, private investigator- he's basically the Dark Lord Dresden.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-19 06:14am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-19 06:03am

Or that wonderful moment in Turn Coat when he faces off with the Warden squad and they hesitate to attack him, because to them, he's not Harry Dresden, private investigator- he's basically the Dark Lord Dresden.
Six years, six years since we've seen Dark Lord Dresden now Dresden the Ever-living, Knight of the Winter Court, Single handed winner of the war with the Red Court, and Wizard of the White council and current Warden of Magic Super Prison with access to not only everything from demi-gods and evil spirits to people who's name's were erased form history and proud owner of a failsafe capable of destroying a 1/3 of the United States Landmass in said prison. Wielder of the Ways, umm grandson of the current Blackstaff I know I'm forgetting a few things and leaving aside his ties to the White Court through his brother or his BFF nature with the nights of the cross oh and Yahweh owes him favors.

And still I imagine his first actions on entering the White Council chambers in England would be to raid the craft services bar for the free food.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, yeah - a guy that tall needs to eat a lot.