BBC America Greenlights "CSI: Ankh-Morpork"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

BBC America Greenlights "CSI: Ankh-Morpork"

Post by Zaune »

Well, it's really called "The Watch", but you get the idea.
New Punk Rock Thriller is Based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s “Discworld” Novels

New York – October 30, 2018 – On the heels of hit series Killing Eve and the introduction of the first female Doctor on Doctor Who, BBC AMERICA announced today the greenlight of the new original scripted series, The Watch, based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly popular “Discworld” novels, which have sold more than 90 million books worldwide. The (8 x 60) series is produced by BBC Studios for BBC AMERICA. The Watch is distributed by BBC Studios.

The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary ‘City Watch’ subset of “Discworld” novels. This disruptive, character-driven thriller centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many famous “Discworld” creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Cheery together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death.

The Watch was commissioned for BBC AMERICA by President and GM Sarah Barnett, and Nena Rodrigue, EVP of Original Programming, Acquisitions and Production. Co-produced with Narrativia and written by Simon Allen (The Musketeers, Das Boot and New Tricks), The Watch is executive produced by Hilary Salmon (Luther, Silent Witness and Three Girls), Ben Donald for BBC Studios and Rob Wilkins for Narrativia. Phil Collinson (Doctor Who) also joins the team as executive producer.

“The Watch has been startlingly reimagined for television by writer Simon Allen, while still cleaving to the humor, heart and ingenuity of Terry Pratchett’s incomparably original work,” commented BBC AMERICA President, Sarah Barnett. “BBC AMERICA embraces what’s fresh and exhilarating in TV; we believe The Watch will astonish audiences.”

Writer Simon Allen said: “With events in our own world making the insanity of ‘Discworld’ seem outrageously familiar, there couldn’t be a better time to bring Terry’s fun, fire and fury back to the small screen or a better place than BBC AMERICA. I’m grateful to them, BBC Studios and especially Rob Wilkins at Narrativia who has been a constant source of inspiration on this epic and emotional journey.”

Hilary Salmon, Executive Producer and Head of BBC Studios Drama Production London, said: “The Watch is a distinctly British but defiantly global exhilarating, thriller that is disruptive in its approach to the fantasy genre and also big on the themes of mortality, inclusion, alternative facts and justice. It’s a dizzying riot of hope, joy, suspense and audaciously dark humor. We can’t wait to work with BBC AMERICA to bring it all to life for existing fans and brand new audiences.”

Rob Wilkins, Executive Producer and Managing Director of Narrativia, said: “Many years ago Terry made the brave decision to allow brand new Watch stories to be told with his existing characters. It’s taken a long time for anything to happen because we guard these characters with our very lives! So many of Terry’s biggest ideas seem more vital and urgent now than ever before and I am thrilled to be working with Simon and such a talented team, who understand the unique genius of their creator. They have really keyed into the subversive qualities of Terry’s voice and they clearly adore ‘Discworld’ as much as I and millions of fans around the world do.”

The new series joins an outstanding offering of original scripted programming at BBC AMERICA including the Emmy®-nominated Killing Eve starring Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer, the iconic series Doctor Who starring Jodie Whittaker, and the Golden Globe®-winning Luther starring Idris Elba.
And no, I don't know what they mean by "Punk Rock Thriller" either.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: BBC America Greenlights "CSI: Ankh-Morpork"

Post by Crazedwraith »

Startlingly reimagned?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I believe my well educated and erudite response can be summarized as:
LOLWAT?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its going to have to be somewhat reimagined to fit the format of a TV series like this, I imagine.

Just once, I wish we could do without the knee-jerk "WAHHH, THEY CHANGED IT SO ITS RUIIINNED!" refrain from the fanbase the moment an adaptation is announced. But I know that wish is futile.

I'll give it a chance. If its good, good. If it sucks, no big deal. Just don't watch it. I think Mr. Pratchett's reputation is fairly secure at this point.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I too am reserving judgement until we have at least a trailer. But they'd better not screw this up.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, the Watch series is my favorite of Pratchett's work (especially Guards! Guards! and Night Watch), and is long over due for an adaptation.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

This will really depend on how cheap and lazy they are and whether or not we'll see the equivalent of Netflix's 'Bright', IE, 'Orc Cops' in modern day LA with no real explanation on why this world isn't as different as it should be.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

There are some interesting bits in the article:
punk rock thriller
No clue what this means.
the mysterious Angua
I'm curious how long they are going to try and keep what she a mystery to the viewers who haven't read the books.

non-binary forensics expert Cheery
Everything I can remember about Cheery has being definitely female. So I'd like to understand how someone could interpret Cheery as non-binary.
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-11-01 07:28am This will really depend on how cheap and lazy they are and whether or not we'll see the equivalent of Netflix's 'Bright', IE, 'Orc Cops' in modern day LA with no real explanation on why this world isn't as different as it should be.
That would be a major change from the Discworld of the books. Sure, taking a fantasy IP and putting it in a modern world is not unheard of, but it's not something I'll be worried about until I see some confirmation that it's what's happening.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ank-Morpork is kind of a weird hodge-podge of a bunch of different cities and times, where Pratchett threw in anything that made for an interesting story or idea.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-11-03 05:17pm non-binary forensics expert Cheery
Everything I can remember about Cheery has being definitely female. So I'd like to understand how someone could interpret Cheery as non-binary.

Indeed, Cheery's problem that she wanted to be binary in a non-binary culture. Dwarfs all presenting as masculine. Her situation though is a sort of a fantasy equivalent metaphor for transgender/non-binariness though.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-11-03 06:16pm Indeed, Cheery's problem that she wanted to be binary in a non-binary culture. Dwarfs all presenting as masculine. Her situation though is a sort of a fantasy equivalent metaphor for transgender/non-binariness though.
I've always thought of Discworld dwarves as all presenting as male, but I can see why calling them non-binary could fit better. Which answers my question: Cheery starts off seeing herself as non-binary due to tradition.

Thank you.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

One article writer's descriptions aren't enough to frighten me off.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Steve wrote: 2018-11-15 03:58am One article writer's descriptions aren't enough to frighten me off.
Even when it's a press release on the website of the company making the series ?

Though there is nothing in it that I'm actually worried about. At worst, punk rock thriller is something I just don't understand yet.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, we have more details... And it doesn't look good.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zaune wrote: 2020-01-18 07:00am Well, we have more details... And it doesn't look good.
And things I have problems with.
"Cheery will be presented as non-binary human who was orphaned and raised by dwarves as a child"
WHAT? That's CARROT, not Cheery. Cheery was a FULL DWARF, who happened to like presenting as a FEMALE.

Why is Angua that SHORT?! And how is a open front chain 'vest' going to protect your vitals, Carrot?? At least he's tall and ginger, like he's supposed to be.

" Lady Sybil Ramkin, who has turned to vigilantism to go after the criminals the Watch no longer has the power to pursue themselves."
What the unholy fuck are they talking about? And why is she a "Last Noble"?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Sybil thing really rings alarm bells for me.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Angua being tiny would actually make sense (I don't recall what the books say about that)-for Discworld shapechangers conservation of mass is a thing (hence vampires turning into an entire 'flock' of bats) so she'd either have to be a rather smallish woman or a 'really' beefy wolf.
But I agree that this does not look like what I want my Watch adaption to look like.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-18 02:54pm Cheery was a FULL DWARF, who happened to like presenting as a FEMALE.
IIRC the traditional gender of a Discworld dwarf is "dwarf". And are they even going to use her full name?
Spoiler
It's "Cheery Littlebottom". When he did her job interview, Vimes managed to keep a straight face until she was out of the room, then almost did himself a mischief trying to keep breathing.
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-18 02:54pm Why is Angua that SHORT?! And how is a open front chain 'vest' going to protect your vitals, Carrot?? At least he's tall and ginger, like he's supposed to be.
Well, her hair colour's almost right (described as "ash-blonde") but there's not nearly enough of it. And IIRC Carrot is supposed to be so muscular across the shoulders he's almost triangular-shaped, with (I think) his hair in a barely-there extreme buzzcut.
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-18 02:54pm " Lady Sybil Ramkin,
She's supposed to have a body type generally described as "a galleon under full sail". No mention I can see of swamp dragons, unless that's what she used as a weapon in the last photo in the Gizmodo article. :banghead:

Hooboy, this is in extreme danger of becoming a right plate of fetid dingo's kidneys...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Guys? Combining quote and spoiler tags still doesn't work
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Batman wrote: 2020-01-18 07:33pm Guys? Combining quote and spoiler tags still doesn't work
Drat, sorry, forgot about that. I thought the glitch was "always shows" instead of "never opens", so when the preview looked OK, I thought it worked.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

It apparently works in the preview and for your 'own' posts but still seems borked otherwise, at least for me.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

It sounds like someone had a completely unrelated story they wrote. Then someone decided to shove it into Discworld to try and make it sell better.
SpottedKitty wrote: 2020-01-18 07:38pm
Batman wrote: 2020-01-18 07:33pm Guys? Combining quote and spoiler tags still doesn't work
Drat, sorry, forgot about that. I thought the glitch was "always shows" instead of "never opens", so when the preview looked OK, I thought it worked.
I've seen both ways. I've also seen the spoiler button cause the timestamp on a quote to appear/disappear when you click it.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-01-18 09:40pm It sounds like someone had a completely unrelated story they wrote. Then someone decided to shove it into Discworld to try and make it sell better.
Sort of like what happened to the first "Starship Troopers" film? Bleah...
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I can confirm the disappearing time stamp issue
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder if someone was scared about the audience reaction to depicting Cheery as she is in the books. Discworld dwarves have very little sexual dimorphism that appears male to the human perspective. Cheery refuses to cut off her beard because doing that would be to deny that she is a dwarf. If you wanted to depict her accurate to the books, you'd probably have to go with an actor that appears male. That's going to clash with how people imagined her every time she is on screen, instead of letting people not think about it. Then there are the people who watch this without having read any of the books.

I'm hoping that Gizmodo got the plot details wrong.