BBC America Greenlights "CSI: Ankh-Morpork"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: BBC America Greenlights "CSI: Ankh-Morpork"

Post by Gandalf »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-10-15 05:27am Nah, she's been calling them out on twitter for ages.

I guess one reason im not as angry as everyone else is that I thought the previous discworld adaptions, while faithful, were stodgy and boring. I hope this is better, as well as different.
Indeed. From what little I've read of the series, making a "faithful" adaptation that's also enjoyable would be pretty difficult.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-10-15 06:15amIndeed. From what little I've read of the series, making a "faithful" adaptation that's also enjoyable would be pretty difficult.
A lot of the humor of Discworld, for me at least, comes from the asides and background details rather than the events themselves.

And now I'm picturing a Discworld film/TV show with Family Guy style cut-away gags.

And I won't suffer alone.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2020-10-15 04:31pm
Gandalf wrote: 2020-10-15 06:15amIndeed. From what little I've read of the series, making a "faithful" adaptation that's also enjoyable would be pretty difficult.
A lot of the humor of Discworld, for me at least, comes from the asides and background details rather than the events themselves.
This is true and why play adaptions include a footnotes chorus so that material isn't lost.

Good omens is a similar style and they managed pretty well by having God narrate it. (Though tbf Good Omens is probably evidence you can adapt too faithfully, but overall it was well received I think.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The 'Hogfather' adaption was awesome, and while 'The Colour of Magic' was not that had more to do with the quality of the source material (the first two Discworld book were pretty blergh) than the stuff being nigh impossible to adapt faithfully
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, Color of Magic was pretty barebones and it showed, but it had a certain charm in its own right-- that classic cheesy shoestring-80s-BBC-video budget chic. The other productions they did were much better-- Hogfather and Going Postal, not sure if they had another.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hogfather is amazing, and I am not at all ashamed to say, I actually prefer the MOVIE to the book. The pacing works and feels so much more fluid, and there are two key moments with DEATH as the Hogfather that got swapped around that I think add a lot more weight and emotion to those moments.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I don't think I watched to the end of hogfather. I did for going postal, but not going to watch it again.

I just didn't think it was very good TV. Very laboured scripts with characters without their inner monologue or time reduced to snark. Trying to be funny while self conscious in a slightly glossy unreal world.

Good omens was better, but still felt like an effort at times. Of two friends who hadn't read it, one loved the TV show, the other stopped watching after two episodes.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-10-15 11:40pm Hogfather is amazing, and I am not at all ashamed to say, I actually prefer the MOVIE to the book. The pacing works and feels so much more fluid, and there are two key moments with DEATH as the Hogfather that got swapped around that I think add a lot more weight and emotion to those moments.
Heresy!

That said, I really liked the "old" tv movies. They could have been better (actors were great, but nothing as amazing "born for this role" as, say, GOT & Tywin. Except for DEATH's voice).

The Watch though - I saw 1 episode and dropped. Same issue as I had with foundation - it has very little to do with the core it's adapting, and it's too similar to be different. Instead it just baulderizes and loses the good stuff while the stuff that doesn't work feels bad.
NVM weaknesses in the micro (the incredibly cliche+bad opening of Vimes and Carver hanging off a cliff).
NVM the fact that they managed to lose a lot of the most progressive elements (Dwarves: Carrot vs race, Cheery, etc'), in favor of doing it in a way that's more "obvious" and "woke" but doesn't feel like it makes sense or consistency.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.