THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah she knows way more than I was expecting.

O-Chul could honestly say about it being the last gate and therefore there are no circumstances where he's going to destroy this gate going forward.

Oh course given Serini seems to be quite okay with existence ending from the end of the last book. This might not help but he doesn't know that.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-03-10 06:42am Yeah she knows way more than I was expecting.

O-Chul could honestly say about it being the last gate and therefore there are no circumstances where he's going to destroy this gate going forward.

Oh course given Serini seems to be quite okay with existence ending from the end of the last book. This might not help but he doesn't know that.
Not sure what you mean about the end of the last book, but I think it's the opposite. O-Chul can't honestly say that there are no circumstances where he wouldn't destroy the last Gate, because as a paladin he probably would choose to do that if it was a choice between that and Xykon gaining the power to threaten the gods and destroy every mortal soul. I think Serini is more concerned with making sure the world continues to exist even if there is a sadistic lich ruling over it.

And Serini likely doesn't know just how close the gods are to pulling the trigger on preemptively destroying the world.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ralin wrote: 2021-03-10 07:36am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-03-10 06:42am Yeah she knows way more than I was expecting.

Not sure what you mean about the end of the last book, but I think it's the opposite. O-Chul can't honestly say that there are no circumstances where he wouldn't destroy the last Gate, because as a paladin he probably would choose to do that if it was a choice between that and Xykon gaining the power to threaten the gods and destroy every mortal soul. I think Serini is more concerned with making sure the world continues to exist even if there is a sadistic lich ruling over it.

And Serini likely doesn't know just how close the gods are to pulling the trigger on preemptively destroying the world.
Wel the last words in the last book were Serini's speach bubble with a compatriot we've still not seen:

Serini: Well, we're finally doing this huh?
Serini: Fun while it lasted right?
Orange Speech bubble: What was, Boss?
Serini: Existing.

I'm usually wrong, lol, but seems to me Serini is pretty resigned to the destruction of the current existence. Either by Snarl or by the Gods.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-03-10 09:09am
Wel the last words in the last book were Serini's speach bubble with a compatriot we've still not seen:

Serini: Well, we're finally doing this huh?
Serini: Fun while it lasted right?
Orange Speech bubble: What was, Boss?
Serini: Existing.

I'm usually wrong, lol, but seems to me Serini is pretty resigned to the destruction of the current existence. Either by Snarl or by the Gods.
In context it sounds more like she's concerned that the well-intentioned interlopers are going to catastrophically fuck things up. If she's been keeping tabs enough to know about the Order and what happened in Azure City she knows they've done so multiple times already.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

1229 is up. This is going to end badly.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Thor MIGHT have warned Durkon about this possibility. Hopefully, he was told a way to counter it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Plot twist - That smile on face in the last panel looks ALOT like Belkor....

Imagine if she's Belkor's mom? and reveals Bitterleaf is not his last name?

Kinda cheap way of doing the prophecy of him 'drawing his last breath', but still, Belkar is still outstanding 'family growth' that pretty much everyone else has had. (Even V, technically)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think that's more the limited style of the art work.

The Oracle implied Belkar was going to die, in many more ways than just the drawing his last breath quote. Renaming him would be super cheap. The most likely twist was already used of Durkons.

I'm thinking the twist is that there is no twist.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1230 is up. Just a little trip down Memory Lane.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Don't know how well that's gonna work for them. I see a side-quest first.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1232 is up. No deus ex machina for this one.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

That's a really necessary bit if exposition I think, the God's side on Redcloak's accusations. That they weren't deliberated designed for that role but are a victim of the god's system and negligence.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-04-23 05:02am That's a really necessary bit if exposition I think, the God's side on Redcloak's accusations. That they weren't deliberated designed for that role but are a victim of the god's system and negligence.
It also makes a pretty good case that the good gods have at best limited responsibility for this state of affairs. Since they couldn't have intervened to stop it without breaking their own rules and starting a fight that could have created a new Snarl.

I mean, I suppose they could have commanded their followers to be merciful towards goblins and offer them chances at a better life. But those followers have limited influence and power at best, and that would invite tit for tat retaliation.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The best the gods could have done is added an large island/small continent for the beings Fenris created, and let them develop on their own, before Fenris started creating them.
(If he apparently does this every time they do a fantasy style setting).

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OOF That punch to the "everything you had ever taken for granted but now realize may have been morally wrong" gut. Or to summarize, being right for the wrong reasons. Yeah Redcloak certainly has a point, but hes got the wrong solution.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah.

Just because the gods 'locked' the world so to speak, doesn't mean mortals can't make a change....

Like say an epic level spell to raise a new continent

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"Worldwide Generational Inequality".

Yeah.. that's... heavy
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

comic "1234" something, delightful about that.
Also YAY for yet more of Roy "seeing the big picture" and not disagreeing just for the sake of 'drama' and disagreeing.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I do wonder if Rich had this particular interpretation of the monsters plight back when he originally planned things out or if he came up with it more recently? If it's the former her was remarkable presence of the current zitergist
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't know about from the beginning, but we started seeing hints of it as early as the Azure City arc.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

This is one of those strips that work better in the trade/book collections. It's not a bad joke, especially after the heavier stuff of Roy and Durkon's talks but after waiting this long it's a little disappointing there isn't meatier plot advancement.