What is better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

What is better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: What is better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

Post by Crazedwraith »

Write your own shit. Besides no-one is going to give a shit about the technobabble you use.

Seriously you've already figured out how you want it to work just slap a name on it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

May I ask 'why' hyperspace doesn't work between galaxies/there's this disturbance at the galaxy's edge? So far it seems like you deliberately and arbitrarily nixed hyperspace 'just because'.
As for something that only works intergalactically, you could use the same reason microjumps aren't done in Wars-the drive's too freaking fast for it.
A drive that can't go any 'slower' than, say, 50 billion c is going the tiniest bit problematic for interstellar travel.

And that disturbance of yours had better be very shallow because with the hyperdrive not working they'll have to cross it 'sublight'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

He's quoting a theory that a scientist said in the old EU, and he was referring specifically to the problem of navigating in the Unknown Regions and beyond.

A theory that is forgetting the fact that...
The Republic had explored the satelite galaxies around the GFFA (The Rishi Maze is one of them)
The Trade Federation mapped a route halfway to another major galaxy, before the expedition became to expensive.
(Major Galaxy, in this case, would be another galaxy that was not a satelite of the GFFA. In the same way the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy are not satelites of each other).
The Vong came through that same 'disturbance' just fine. Unfortunately for them, their proposal drives require them to 'lock on' to the gravity of the target star system. Weaker lock, slower jump. So, it took them a while to get there.

Really, that theory was an character handwaving on behalf of an author that didn't have another answer.

Also, consider - Hyperdrive is roughly 32 - 64 million times the speed of light. (this websites associated wiki). Using our galaxy to andromeda as an example, intergalactic travel would be 2.5 million light years. AT the slow end of hyperdrive, that's 28 days. At the high end, that's 14 days. Using existing hyperdrive speed calculations.

You know that that implies to me?
That Star Wars existing hyperdrive can reach other galaxies! (speed, the fact that the satelite galaxies have been mapped), that fact the Vong traveled from their galaxty to the GFFA, and the fact that the Trade Federation mapped half way to another major galaxy without problems....

Therefore, you don't need an intergalactic hyperdrive. You need intergalactic MAPS to plot a course.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.