G7 reaches 'historic agreement' to stop big firms avoiding tax

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

G7 reaches 'historic agreement' to stop big firms avoiding tax

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The G7 has reached a "historic agreement" to reform the global tax system, which Chancellor Rishi Sunak says will ensure multinational companies "pay the right tax in the right places".

The deal - achieved during a meeting of G7 finance ministers in London - will see France, Italy, Germany, Canada, Japan and the United States commit to a global minimum corporation tax rate "of at least 15%".

Changes will also be made to ensure major corporations, especially those with a strong online presence, will pay taxes in the countries where they record sales and not just where they have an operational base.

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Sunak said: "I am delighted to announce that today after years of discussion G7 finance ministers have reached a historic agreement to reform the global tax system.

"To make it fit for the global digital age, but crucially to make sure that it is fair so that the right companies pay the right tax in the right places and that's a huge prize for British taxpayers."

The Treasury said the G7 finance ministers had signed up to "an ambitious two-pillar global solution to tackle the tax challenges arising from an increasingly globalised and digital global economy".

A spokeswoman said: "Under pillar one of this historic agreement, the largest and most profitable multinationals will be required to pay tax in the countries where they operate - and not just where they have their headquarters.

"The rules would apply to global firms with at least a 10% profit margin - and would see 20% of any profit above the 10% margin reallocated and then subjected to tax in the countries they operate."

She added: "Under pillar two, the G7 also agreed to the principle of at least 15% global minimum corporation tax operated on a country-by-country basis, creating a more level playing field for UK firms and cracking down on tax avoidance."

G20 countries, which includes emerging economies such as China and India, are also likely to be lobbied to sign up to the rate floor.

According to the BBC, German finance minister Olaf Scholz said a 15% base corporation tax deal would “change the world” by helping countries pay back debts that have built up during the pandemic.

French finance minister Bruno le Maire meanwhile urged Ireland, which has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the European Union, to get “on board”.

The finance ministers meeting is a precursor to the gathering of G7 leaders, which is due to be held in Carbis Bay in Cornwall from June 11-13.
G7 reaches 'historic agreement' to stop big firms avoiding tax.

Well, it's a start. They're already saying it's going to have to include very many more nations before it's airtight. There's going to be a lot of pushback from the corporations on this.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: G7 reaches 'historic agreement' to stop big firms avoiding tax

Post by Tribble »

I highly doubt the G7 would even be debating this if it wasn’t going to help corporations earn higher profits.

IMO its more likely to be a publicity stunt - corporations get to be seen supposedly paying their “fair share” in countries where they are operating while in actuality I’m willing to bet that their overall taxes and regulatory burdens will end up being lower.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage