Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-08 05:15pm Given the Canadian Governments current fiscal issues (all revenues are way down since March 2020), them not giving funding is not surprising.

It's disappointing, but not surprising.
Cut police budgets or military spending. Or don't move ahead with various pork-barrel projects. The funds are there.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says

Post by Solauren »

Jub wrote: 2021-06-08 05:59pm Cut police budgets or military spending. Or don't move ahead with various pork-barrel projects. The funds are there.
You must have Canada confused for the United States. Unlike the US, Canada doesn't spend half if's GNP on the military.
Most of the budget this year appears to be focused on helping people and businesses recover from the pandemic.

Please look over the 2021 Federal Budget
https://www.budget.gc.ca/2021/pdf/budget-2021-en.pdf

and tell me where you could make cuts.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Also, I can't recall where I saw it but I read somewhere that the reason the funds weren't allocated was that there's some confusion about whose jurisdiction it would fall under: I think they were expecting to find a few dozen plots in a cemetery that had returned to wilderness, not a mass grave.

Although the logical place for the money to come from would be the RCMP and/or provincial police service at this point, because this is literally a homicide investigation.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, I agree. On so many levels, this is a multi-mass homicide investigation, and the RCMP and Provincial Police (where applicable, some provinces don't have provincial police) should be involved.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-09 10:10am
Jub wrote: 2021-06-08 05:59pm Cut police budgets or military spending. Or don't move ahead with various pork-barrel projects. The funds are there.
You must have Canada confused for the United States. Unlike the US, Canada doesn't spend half if's GNP on the military.
Most of the budget this year appears to be focused on helping people and businesses recover from the pandemic.

Please look over the 2021 Federal Budget
https://www.budget.gc.ca/2021/pdf/budget-2021-en.pdf

and tell me where you could make cuts.
How much do you think this would cost? Do you really think we can't find less than $10 million in military and RCMP budgets to make this happen?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Jub wrote: 2021-06-09 05:24pm How much do you think this would cost? Do you really think we can't find less than $10 million in military and RCMP budgets to make this happen?
I don't know. See if you can.

Seriously. I'm sick of people saying 'find it in the budget', 'why don't thy...". That is the budget. If you think it's that easy, GO DO IT.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-09 06:35pmI don't know. See if you can.

Seriously. I'm sick of people saying 'find it in the budget', 'why don't thy...". That is the budget. If you think it's that easy, GO DO IT.
You know what, fuck it, just add an extra 10 million to this year's deficit and get it done. Given that we're already running ~2.0 trillion in the red we can handle a rounding error to do the right thing with regards to making amends for the horrors of the past.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Solauren wrote: 2021-06-08 05:15pm Given the Canadian Governments current fiscal issues (all revenues are way down since March 2020), them not giving funding is not surprising.

It's disappointing, but not surprising.
Unfortunately, this isn't a 'this year' issue - the Canadian government has consistently failed to allocate adequate resources to follow up on the calls to action in the TRC report since it was issued, in the same way that it consistently fails to do anything about the water access crisis affecting many First Nations.
Zaune wrote: 2021-06-09 02:29pm Also, I can't recall where I saw it but I read somewhere that the reason the funds weren't allocated was that there's some confusion about whose jurisdiction it would fall under: I think they were expecting to find a few dozen plots in a cemetery that had returned to wilderness, not a mass grave.

Although the logical place for the money to come from would be the RCMP and/or provincial police service at this point, because this is literally a homicide investigation.
Any such expectation was bullshit from the start - we knew there were mass graves, unmarked, and not just cemeteries that were misplaced. The accounts of survivors spoke of them constantly.
Solauren wrote: 2021-06-09 03:08pm Yeah, I agree. On so many levels, this is a multi-mass homicide investigation, and the RCMP and Provincial Police (where applicable, some provinces don't have provincial police) should be involved.
The RCMP should in no way be involved except maybe footing the bill, because they were actively complicit in the crimes. You don't ask a murderer to investigate the murders they committed.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

loomer wrote: 2021-06-04 11:11am A group of Canadian lawyers are calling on the ICC to launch a formal investigation. Given that the Canadian government seems unwilling to prosecute surviving perpetrators, good - let's hope it happens.
How many perpetrators are even alive at this point? It's like the holocaust. Most of the war criminals would be really old by this point if they're alive (which doesn't mean saying they shouldn't be. It's never too late for justice.)
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-06-10 02:42am
loomer wrote: 2021-06-04 11:11am A group of Canadian lawyers are calling on the ICC to launch a formal investigation. Given that the Canadian government seems unwilling to prosecute surviving perpetrators, good - let's hope it happens.
How many perpetrators are even alive at this point? It's like the holocaust. Most of the war criminals would be really old by this point if they're alive (which doesn't mean saying they shouldn't be. It's never too late for justice.)
Well, the residential system was still active up through the 80s and 90s, so, you tell me.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

loomer wrote: 2021-06-10 01:22am Any such expectation was bullshit from the start - we knew there were mass graves, unmarked, and not just cemeteries that were misplaced. The accounts of survivors spoke of them constantly
Unfortunately survivors of genocide the world over are usually discounted, told their exaggerating, etc. Never underestimate the ability of people to engage in denial.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-06-10 05:08am
loomer wrote: 2021-06-10 01:22am Any such expectation was bullshit from the start - we knew there were mass graves, unmarked, and not just cemeteries that were misplaced. The accounts of survivors spoke of them constantly
Unfortunately survivors of genocide the world over are usually discounted, told their exaggerating, etc. Never underestimate the ability of people to engage in denial.
In this case, isn't it more the fact that it was people accusing the church of wrong doing, so to most people, it was automatically discredited?

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Hundreds more in the Cowessess First Nation. Seven hundred. And fifty one.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I hate to say it, but this might force the government to take the lead on things now. This many, his quickly? They need to take the lead, or it's going to cost them politically.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Quick note: There were a total of 139 residental schools in Canada over the life of the program.
That most at one time was 80.

The possible number of total deaths might reach into 6 digits....

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »