Star Trek Discovery Season 5 (Spoilers)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek Discovery Season 5 (Spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fifth and Final Season, folks.

Plenty of TNG references and fanservice here, a little to Picard by way of consequence. This time they are hunting down technology a Romulan found from the Progenitors from TNG's The Chase.

It's got a nice treasure hunt vibe going on.

Tilly's back in the cast, Saru seems to be leaving again. Though hopefully he's staying on the show.

Once again, they don't really get how chains of command with another Captain of much greater seniority than Michael becoming her first officer.

It does still tend a bit too much the characters emoting and shilling each other but it's been reasonably good fun so far.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Trek Discovery Season 5 (Spoilers)

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-04-06 03:46pm
Once again, they don't really get how chains of command with another Captain of much greater seniority than Michael becoming her first officer.
A captain who had recently faced a disciplinary hearing and chosen to take early retirement instead of facing whatever punishment they decided on. Until Michael wanted him to be her first officer. I'm guessing he got demoted.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I still have no idea what a self-sealing stem bolt is or what it does. (And no, actually seeing one for the first time din't help).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2024-04-06 09:26pm I still have no idea what a self-sealing stem bolt is or what it does. (And no, actually seeing one for the first time din't help).
It probably won't help you to know that this isn't the first time they have been on-screen :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It unsurprisingly doesn't but when did we see one before?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

They appeared a few times on DS9. That's where the images on memory alpha are from.

Also at least one appearance on Lower Decks.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Beyond the slightly silly moment of the ships being belly down - for once I wish they'd used the deflectors, or hovered closer to the city and just bubbled it.

In the spirit of the site, you could get some calcs on kinetic energy and momentum for that landslide.

Very happy to see an orbital phaser strike.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

One interesting note is that programmable matter can't be made into wires. If they want wires, they have to use replicators.

Which just adds confusion to me trying to understand the difference between replicating something vs using programmable matter.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

One assumes it can't precisely make that type of wire, it may be that the conductivity is too low, or too high, or that it channels power through some other means other than electrons - perhaps it transmits weak nuclear force or something - to operate its systems.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-04-06 07:35pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-04-06 03:46pm
A captain who had recently faced a disciplinary hearing and chosen to take early retirement instead of facing whatever punishment they decided on. Until Michael wanted him to be her first officer. I'm guessing he got demoted.
Oh, hey! You turned out to be right on this front. They're explict referring to him as First Officer and Commander rather than Number One, which is an improvement over previous writing to my thinking.

It's not emphasised much but there are some new names and face among the bridge bunnies. I noticed on, maybe the relief pilot was Bajoran, implying the crew has plenty of 32nd century born members now.

hmm. Trill symbiote life span very rarely stretches to 800 years. That means Dax who was already several hosts deep is extremely likely dead. Also that Tal has no memories of the time frame.

...Trill has some nasty wildlife. Though the plot is pretty standard test of character thing but serviceable enough and takes advantage of Ds9 continuity.

Rayner gets a meet the crew plot, and Saru has an argument with T'Rina. Tbf I found them cuter courting than now as a couple but we are getting more info on the set up on Ni'Var which
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Even if Moll and L'ak can track Discovery now, they don't have a spore drive. So it's going to be interesting seeing how they overcome that disadvantage.

That description of what progenitor tech can do makes me wonder just how Cronenberg things will get after someone uses it.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-04-11 05:09pm
...Trill has some nasty wildlife. Though the plot is pretty standard test of character thing but serviceable enough and takes advantage of Ds9 continuity.
I wonder if the cloaking wildlife caused any complications with the treaty that forbid Federation cloaking devices :D
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

On the other hand the clues were planted by people with 23rd century warp drive. DASH drive might be instant but it might take Moll and L'ak only hours to cross what took months in C23rd.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

NecronLord wrote: 2024-04-15 02:33pm On the other hand the clues were planted by people with 23rd century warp drive. DASH drive might be instant but it might take Moll and L'ak only hours to cross what took months in C23rd.
Probably. But they still need to know where they are going when Discovery has the only copy of the next clue and enough firepower that they don't want a ship to ship battle.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So this weeks plot reveals the krenium were involved in the temporal cold war or at least someone got a hold of their tech. Their even seems to be a oblique reference to Calpyso, those the scenario doesn't line up with that episode exactly.

I think this is a good standalone episode and it's worked well into the arc as well which is nice. It could be a lot more polished and meaningful with the character arcs but servicable nevertheless. Despite travelling through lot of time periods the only old character brought back is Airiam the cyborg.

Still it kind of suffers from the fact the a prodigy did a very similar episode, in half the time. Better to my mind.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So as it turns out:
Spoiler
L'ak is a breen. Apparently breen can do without a suit but culturally don't as that form is seen as lesser.
We get Moll and L'Ak's back story which is fine and most of the episode is set on a derelict Connie class using SNW sets to save money. All pretty decent but by the book really.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Setting it on a Connie makes sense since they already have the sets. But did they have to use the Enterprise ?

Moll and L'Ak's backstory sound like they would easily qualify as political refugees and the Federation's control over the main source of dilithium for the galaxy probably makes Federation space the safest place to hide from the Breen. Especially if they only need to hide from one faction. Much better than some rumored paradise planet in the gamma quadrant.

Certainly better than fleeing in some modified torpedo because they don't have a ship. Though I can't say that it's an out of character move for them.