Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm guessing the Borg are going to be refugees, with the Romulans, though suffering tragedy, are acting in the US's capacity of locking them up because the Romulans have always had a xenophobic edge to them, and they're trying to get a leg up after the destruction of Romulus.

Though we'll have to see where they go with it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Make Romulans Great Again?

Edit: Either way, I've got to say, this trailer really sold me on the show. God knows how it'll turn out, and its probably unwise to raise expectations too high, but...

Picard, Romulans, Borg, and Seven of Nine? Seriously, its like someone ran through a list of all my favorite things from the TNG era and said "Let's make a trailer out of that".
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

In the Short Treks trailer there is an episode titled "Q&A"
Also news is that one of the Short Treks would be a prequel to the Picard series.
I'm assuming (and fanboy expecting) that it means Q will show up in the prequel (and maybe the Picard series?)

The Short Treks Trailer is also full of DISCO Pike and Co.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHyUiv4WvU
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

From what I understood from some web article, the Borg Cube is in Romulan control. There's also AFAIK a prison in the Cube in which the young woman was a prisoner there. In that brief scene you can see the words "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation." Prisoners are former drones? Makes sense, as I think the woman is a former drone but harbors a secret that could threaten the Federation.

As for Data, he isn't really there. We see his body and Picard mourns him but at the end he's playing cards with him. But it appears that he's wearing a uniform. Holodeck recreation of Data?

I'm interested in seeing this show. Looking forward to it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ugh. This really doesn't look great.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Interesting. A bit late, but ok.
Stupid Ideas:
- Girl is Lor's daughter-by-way-of-Borg-tech. It would make sense that both Data and Lore would have similar drives (procreation), and Lor did have his own plans with the Borg before Data disassembled him and stuck him in a drawer (while Data was instead blown up). There's also B4 to account for somewhere. The card game Data doesn't look de-aged (heavily plastered, maybe), but it is a holodeck of the game they never finished in Nemesis.

- Alternately, the girl's first-gen post-Borg ("Grampa Locutus! I trust you!"), but has secret super-powers (because all teenaged girls have super powers, didn't you know?) She's being hunted by fandom's Evil Section 31, because Secret Government is the Scariest Government! And Picard is gathering a rag-tag band of idealists to Free the Children of This Awful War Decades Ago(tm).

- First trailer (the link), female voice narration did sound like one of the Romulan Captains from TNG, or maybe Robin Curtis (STIII Saavik)? It wasn't Dina Meyer (the Romulan Captain that came to the final fight in Nemesis).

- With the mass murder of the Romulan Senate (and Admiralty), we don't really need Romulus to blow up to cause a collapse of the Empire in the fall-out from Nemesis. Opportunists in Starfleet could have jumped in and Spock could have his Vulcan cultural revival openly. You know the Klingons were still waiting for payback, and it takes two to keep a treaty.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Enigma wrote: 2019-07-23 08:43am From what I understood from some web article, the Borg Cube is in Romulan control. There's also AFAIK a prison in the Cube in which the young woman was a prisoner there. In that brief scene you can see the words "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation." Prisoners are former drones? Makes sense, as I think the woman is a former drone but harbors a secret that could threaten the Federation.

As for Data, he isn't really there. We see his body and Picard mourns him but at the end he's playing cards with him. But it appears that he's wearing a uniform. Holodeck recreation of Data?

I'm interested in seeing this show. Looking forward to it.
I wonder if that Borg cube is an isolated incident, or Future Janeways virus really did wipe them out?

With regards to Data, it’s probably just B-4 with Data’s personality having more or less taken over. Maybe they didn’t have the tech to fully revive him before now which is why the body was in storage. Or it could be Lore’s body, and they figured out a way to dump Lores memory and transfer Data’s memory into it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

So, Picard was born in 2305, and this takes place almost 20 years after Nemesis, or around the year 2399. Even accounting for 24th-century magic hyprospray tech, Picard looks good for a man in his mid 90s who may or may not have Irumodic Syndrome.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Enigma wrote: 2019-07-23 08:43am From what I understood from some web article, the Borg Cube is in Romulan control. There's also AFAIK a prison in the Cube in which the young woman was a prisoner there. In that brief scene you can see the words "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation." Prisoners are former drones? Makes sense, as I think the woman is a former drone but harbors a secret that could threaten the Federation.
If the Borg are under Romulan control, why would the signs inside the facility be in English?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-07-23 01:37pm So, Picard was born in 2305, and this takes place almost 20 years after Nemesis, or around the year 2399. Even accounting for 24th-century magic hyprospray tech, Picard looks good for a man in his mid 90s who may or may not have Irumodic Syndrome.
Well apart from a lot more wrinkles bones seemed reasonbly mobile and healthy at 130(or so) at the TNG pilot.

Also thanks to the Ba'ku homeworld picard could be younger biologically speaking then he is chronologically.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-23 01:51pm
If the Borg are under Romulan control, why would the signs inside the facility be in English?
There's Romulan (AFAIK) writing right beside it. But Romulans do feature heavily in this.

On a side note, according to ScreenRant, Riker, Troi and Hugh (or at least the actor who portrayed him) will make an appearance.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2019-07-23 10:12am Ugh. This really doesn't look great.
What is it about the trailer that is so off-putting to you?

Could go either way, but for me, what I've seen so far I mostly like.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-24 04:00pm

It looks really fanservicey, but not in a good way. I was so-so about it until Seven showed up, who for me is one of the worst characters in Trek.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2019-07-24 05:23pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-24 04:00pm

It looks really fanservicey, but not in a good way. I was so-so about it until Seven showed up, who for me is one of the worst characters in Trek.
Fanservice? Maybe.

But I'm pretty sure your's is the minority view on Seven. As long as she's there for more than objectification, I think her presence is a bonus. Especially if the Borg, and Picard's relationship with them, is a major focus.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, Seven was a big hype moment for me because it showed this isn't just TNG, but it's looking to other shows too. If they tossed in a DS9 character that'd be fantastic (like, Jake Sisco as a reporter? Dunno).

Also the presence of Hugh is an interesting one.

It seems to me like it's a return to continuity. After over a decade of AUs and prequels, we get the timeline moving forward and building off on what came before.
Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-07-23 01:37pm So, Picard was born in 2305, and this takes place almost 20 years after Nemesis, or around the year 2399. Even accounting for 24th-century magic hyprospray tech, Picard looks good for a man in his mid 90s who may or may not have Irumodic Syndrome.

He keeps in shape :)

I think this is still 5~ years earlier than All Good Thing's timeline, and due to that he'd have advanced warning. It's hard to treat, but imagine the benefits of fighting a condition early when you can tell a doctor, 'ok, due to time travel I know I will develop this condition in about two decades, so what can we do?". Beverly detected a small trace of what could develop into it via a deep scan during the episode, after all. It could be that they can at the least delay it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Q99 wrote: 2019-07-25 08:22am Yea, Seven was a big hype moment for me because it showed this isn't just TNG, but it's looking to other shows too. If they tossed in a DS9 character that'd be fantastic (like, Jake Sisco as a reporter? Dunno).

Also the presence of Hugh is an interesting one.

It seems to me like it's a return to continuity. After over a decade of AUs and prequels, we get the timeline moving forward and building off on what came before.

I think this is still 5~ years earlier than All Good Thing's timeline, and due to that he'd have advanced warning. It's hard to treat, but imagine the benefits of fighting a condition early when you can tell a doctor, 'ok, due to time travel I know I will develop this condition in about two decades, so what can we do?". Beverly detected a small trace of what could develop into it via a deep scan during the episode, after all. It could be that they can at the least delay it.
My gut says that if they were to include anything from DS9 (probably unlikely, since it seems to be the Trek show that the Powers That Be want to forget was ever made, despite having its own devoted fan base), it'll be Quark. He's probably the most instantly recognizable, popular character for the show, I'd think, and he was the one they chose to have cameo in Voyager's premier, back in the day.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-25 08:31am My gut says that if they were to include anything from DS9 (probably unlikely, since it seems to be the Trek show that the Powers That Be want to forget was ever made, despite having its own devoted fan base), it'll be Quark. He's probably the most instantly recognizable, popular character for the show, I'd think, and he was the one they chose to have cameo in Voyager's premier, back in the day.

Yea, I could see Quark, though it depends some on the tone, and what actors are available.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Q99 wrote: 2019-07-25 08:22am

I might be remembering All Good Things wrong, but wasn't the Irumodic Syndrome spotted in the "present" timeline, which didn't happen either as it went back to Picard interrupting Worf and Troi?

Unless it got mentioned in a later film that I can't recall it may never have actually been present.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

That was all Q's doing, I think. It forced Picard to get creative, to really fight tooth and nail to even get to the Devron system. Q made Picard earn that win.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah, I get that. What I mean is the Iromudic Syndrome is (IIRC) ever mentioned in that alternate timeline made during that episode. PIcard may not have it at all.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Khaat wrote: 2019-07-23 10:37amShe's being hunted by fandom's Evil Section 31, because Secret Government is the Scariest Government!
Are you suggesting that Section 31 weren't evil in DS9?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-07-26 10:08amAre you suggesting that Section 31 weren't evil in DS9?
I'm suggesting Section 31 is more evil in fandom's spankfests than in canon productions.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Khaat wrote: 2019-07-26 10:45am
NecronLord wrote: 2019-07-26 10:08amAre you suggesting that Section 31 weren't evil in DS9?
I'm suggesting Section 31 is more evil in fandom's spankfests than in canon productions.
I think that's a result of fandom wanting a simple solution to a complex issue, in canon (as in DS9 and as far as I know DSC) Section 31 is at worst well intentioned extremist, something our heroes need to stop sure but their motives pure even if their methods are horribly misguided. Kind of like the Operative in Serenity (the Firefly movie) a monster for sure, but a monster who thinks they're needed "for the greater good", oviously this doesn't excuse their actions but does explain why they do what they do and more importantly why they don't do certain things.

In fandom the depiction of Section 31 is split between those who want to use it to claim UFP is utterly and irredeembly evil and thus emphasize the bad thing S31 has done while claiming it's without a shadow of doubt an official UFP organization (and therefore UFP is evil) and those who want to use it as in-universe way to remove options they don't like (this is more sudtle way of evil but evil regardless).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

For what it's worth in DSC Section 31 is basically just a division of Starfleet Intelligence, everyone knows about them and they seem to be overseen by Starfleet Command, so while it keeps the iconic name they're not the rogue agency of the original, Spoiler
but their tampering with technology without oversight nearly wipes out the galaxy.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yes I'm aware of this. My point was that in canon S31 is more truly "ends justify the means" pragmatic evil as in they do evil but only when it suits their goals, while in fandom S31 is more "evil for its own sake" evil, where they're are physically incapable of not commiting evil actions even when doing so would serve their goals.
Spoiler
As for Control running amok IIRC that was an accident rather then something section 31 intentionally were trying to do, sure it was a rather big "oops" but one born of carelessness and arrogance rather then direct malice