Oscar results 2020.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Oscar results 2020.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, tonight was the 2020 Oscars. Notably, there was no host this year, just random presenters.

https://theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/0 ... hey-happen

The big news tonight was Best Picture going to Parasite. Its apparently the first ever Best Picture win for a non-English language film, first film from a South Korean director, and first film with a primarily Asian cast.

Best Actor went to Joaquin Phoenix, for Joker.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Oscar results 2020.

Post by ray245 »

Have anyone actually seen Parasite?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote: 2020-02-10 04:41am Have anyone actually seen Parasite?
Not yet (I can probably count the new films I've seen this year on one hand), but after tonight its on my list.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I suspect that Parasite largely won because while Korean movies have a bit of an unusual feel to someone used to Hollywood movies, they are also only clearly distinguishable by the language, as they borrow much from the Hollywood style. It also helps that the themes of class consciousness and inequality are quite apt for American audiences at this point in time.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Taika Waititi is a boss. That is all.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
rameshpathak
Redshirt

Post by rameshpathak »

Quick Scan of the Oscar 2020.

Best Actor in a leading role: JOAQUIN PHOENIX (Joker)
Best Actress in a leading role: RENEE ZELLWEGER (Judy)
Best Actor in a supporting role: BRADD PITT (Once upon a time in Hollywood)
Best Actress in a supporting role: LAURA DERN (Marriage Story)
Best Animated feature film of the year: TOY STORY 4
Best International Feature film of the year: PARASITE
Best Motion Picture of the year: PARASITE
Best Movie for Cinematography: 1917
Best Documentary: AMERICAN FACTORY
Best Documentary Short Subject: LEARNING TO SKATEBOARD IN A WARZONE (IF YOU'RE A GIRL)
Best Edited Movie: FORD vs FERRARI
Best Music written for Motion Picture (Original Score): JOKER
Best Music written for Motion Picture (Original Song): (I'M GONNA) LOVE ME AGAIN- ROCKETMAN
Best Animated Short Film: HAIR LOVE
Best Live Action Short Film: THE NEIGHBORS' WINDOW
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

An article about Taika Waititi's win
At the Academy Awards on Monday, Taika Waititi dedicated his win to all budding indigenous filmmakers, artists and storytellers, as he became the first indigenous person to win the Oscar for Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay.

Waititi is thought to be the second Māori, and first person from Te Whānau-ā-Apanui, to win an Oscar.

He follows Ngāi Tahu sound engineer Hammond Peek, who won for Best Sound Mixing in 2003 and 2005 for The Return of the King and King Kong.

Waititi has won the award for Best Adapted Screenplay at both the Academy Awards and the Baftas.

At the Baftas last week (the British version of the Oscars), Waititi used his acceptance speech to joke about Britain's colonial history. He said it was "very cool" to receive the award, "coming from the colonies".

At the Academy Awards, the director was more formal – later saying it was a rare occasion where he was "lost for words".

At the awards, he thanked his mother before dedicating the Oscar to "indigenous kids" across the world.

"I dedicate this to all the indigenous kids in the world who want to do art and dance, and write stories, we are the original storytellers and we can make it here, as well," he said.

Waititi's win was praised by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Monday afternoon. At a press conference, she took a moment to say how "incredibly proud" she and the country was of his work.

​"I don't see many movies, but I've seen that one and not many people could pull off an amazing film like that," she said.
Then the article lists other New Zealander's who have won Oscars, which I decided not to include.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

rameshpathak wrote: 2020-02-11 07:30am Best Animated feature film of the year: TOY STORY 4
As much as I like Toy Story, I think Klaus deserved to be the winner of that section. It's animation style was both stunning and original.
And offcourse it was a pretty darn good movie too