another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wow that is rather egregious..However if you go back through the thread, im sure you will find many examples of a single Cartoonist reusing the Same idea Over and OVER. That said, your first cartoon reminded me of something...
Uraniun235 wrote:Image
Now, while it may seem this cartoonist is quite lazy in OTHER regards, the above cartoon is simple short, and too the point. Now then, lets contrast THAT against something by our old friend... Chuck Asay.

Here we see, at first glance, the same thing, except Obama is playing checkers and the President of Iran is playing chess. But it wouldn't BE a chuck Asay cartoon if it stopped there, oh no.. he has to cram in as many mindless points as possible.
We have: "NEWS! US Will Engage Iran Directly in Multilateral Nuclear Talks!" Just to spell things out eh?
We have: "Checkers" and "Chess" because SHOWING the game pieces is obviously not enough
We have: "This might take a while!" Which one images is meant to drive home Obama being stupid or something.. But really, does anyone expect Diplomatic talks to go QUICK?
and finally...
We have: "Hassan? How are the bombs coming?" Which I guess is meant to show, what, Iran is already building nukes? They are going to terrorists?

One really has to drink in just how much some freaks like Asay like to use a shotgun approach to cartoons, cramming something in with as many possible (and useless) points as possible
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Second, I would like to echo the comments made about the gay marriage cartoons. To most on the Far Right, Gay Marriage has nothing to do about rights, it is about Tyranny for them Its all about "Us" forcing "them" to do something thy don't want... As Gay marriage passes, they imagine hordes of snarling liberals and Homos Marching into "their" churches and into "their" cities, running up and shouting "I DEMAND you marry us in YOUR church!"
I'm trying to find an alternate source (other than The Volokh Conspiracy), but I am reminded of this little event where a photographer was made to pay because they didn't want to take the job based on personal views.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Morilore wrote:Uraniun's third cartoon is hilariously blunt about the way anti-abortionists actually think. "Women are either chaste and virginal or they are WHORES WHORES WHORES." I can't even begin to understand how a comic like that could fail to result in the author's firing. Wellm actually I do understand but I'd prefer it if I didn't.
I'd actually like to make a point about this. A few pages ago I made a challenge to this thread:
Instant Sunrise wrote:THREAD CHALLENGE: Find a pro-life political cartoon that has a pregnant woman in it who:
a) Has a face.
b) Has dialog. (The woman herself, not a thought bubble coming from the fetus)
c) Isn't a hag who is saying something about hating babies.

If all four conditions are met, I will post "Good job!" in this thread.
I based this challenge off of a similar dare in this thread's equivalent on Something Awful. Nobody there could find one that met the first two conditions.

Most anti-abortion cartoons do not show a pregnant woman, and instead feature fetuses floating in a black void. If they do show a pregnant woman, she is shown in profile or from behind, and she never has dialog. There is usually a thought bubble coming from her 9-month pregnant stomach, but the mother herself does not have dialog.

From the POV of the average political cartoonist in this thread, women apparently don't deserve to have a voice with regards to abortion.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Image
Here we see, at first glance, the same thing, except Obama is playing checkers and the President of Iran is playing chess. But it wouldn't BE a chuck Asay cartoon if it stopped there, oh no.. he has to cram in as many mindless points as possible.
We have: "NEWS! US Will Engage Iran Directly in Multilateral Nuclear Talks!" Just to spell things out eh?
We have: "Checkers" and "Chess" because SHOWING the game pieces is obviously not enough
We have: "This might take a while!" Which one images is meant to drive home Obama being stupid or something.. But really, does anyone expect Diplomatic talks to go QUICK?
and finally...
We have: "Hassan? How are the bombs coming?" Which I guess is meant to show, what, Iran is already building nukes? They are going to terrorists?

One really has to drink in just how much some freaks like Asay like to use a shotgun approach to cartoons, cramming something in with as many possible (and useless) points as possible
I suppose he had to put all that in as well in hopes of dodging a charge of plagiarism.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Darksider wrote:
Junghalli wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:*snip shitty cartoon*
I can't even tell what this is supposed to mean.
I'm guessing that they think that since the Democrats have taken pot shots at a republican woman, then whatever racist cracks they make about Obama's new court nominee are fair game.
Actually, I think this is more of a "Pot Calling the Kettle Black" crack at the Republicans.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Instant Sunrise wrote:From the POV of the average political cartoonist in this thread, women apparently don't deserve to have a voice with regards to abortion.
This isn't surprising. From the far-right perspective, acting on the assumption that the fetus is human from conception, the woman doesn't get a voice with regard to abortion, just like you don't have a voice when it comes to, say, executing a trespasser or petty thief of your property.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Surlethe wrote:
Instant Sunrise wrote:From the POV of the average political cartoonist in this thread, women apparently don't deserve to have a voice with regards to abortion.
This isn't surprising. From the far-right perspective, acting on the assumption that the fetus is human from conception, the woman doesn't get a voice with regard to abortion, just like you don't have a voice when it comes to, say, executing a trespasser or petty thief of your property.
Normally, I'd just groan and move on WRT the idea that women are simply incubators with legs. But then I see shit like this:

That just pisses me off. The cartoonist couldn't honestly wait a day before bringing up his pet political issue in the wake of somebody's murder?
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

obviously it's not a terroist motivated hate crime, when it's done against someone they despise....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

For those that think the right just Have NOT made thier case before/// Obama is an Evil Dirty Commei!
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Y'know, overused Obama = Commie message aside, I actually wouldn't mind having that dog thing on a t-shirt minus the "Wall St." and "Obama admin" labels and the caption. That thing looks pretty badass. :lol:

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Wait, am I supposed to care about anyone on Wall Street? Bon apetit, Comrade Wolf.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Darth Raptor wrote:Wait, am I supposed to care about anyone on Wall Street? Bon apetit, Comrade Wolf.
That's exactly what I was thinking. How is this cartoon supposed to be effective? Most of its target audience is rooting for the wolf.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

RedImperator wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:Wait, am I supposed to care about anyone on Wall Street? Bon apetit, Comrade Wolf.
That's exactly what I was thinking. How is this cartoon supposed to be effective? Most of its target audience is rooting for the wolf.
Given the phrasing, most of America is rooting for the wolf. The target audience is rooting for the current regime to fail spectacularly, so they can continue to blame the opposition party for all of their mistakes.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Ilya Muromets wrote:Y'know, overused Obama = Commie message aside, I actually wouldn't mind having that dog thing on a t-shirt minus the "Wall St." and "Obama admin" labels and the caption. That thing looks pretty badass. :lol:
Seconded, that's a fucking awesome wolf!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Surlethe wrote:This isn't surprising. From the far-right perspective, acting on the assumption that the fetus is human from conception, the woman doesn't get a voice with regard to abortion, just like you don't have a voice when it comes to, say, executing a trespasser or petty thief of your property.
Although exactly the same people are usually the strongest proponents of use of deadly force in defence of your property.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

*Snip, Big Bad Obama wolf picture*
I echo the awesomeness of this picture.

If only it actually happened. It'd be a perfect moral hazard I'd say. :angelic:

I notice a lot of these comics completely mess up what they are trying to say to the point that you end up rooting for "the bad guy". Do they even realise that it could be seen like this?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

RedImperator wrote:
Presumably it's to warn the public that the America's "big government" will be turned on them once it's done with Wall Street.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Already posted it on the last page matey :P
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Image
I'll let YOU pick out which one you think is the most over the top.. Im voting for Judge Thomos being hung by a tree.,... Yeah...
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I KNOW I swear no more "Obama's Evil Cars" Cartoons, but...
I just have to ask... WHERE are these cars? Where are the tiny, overpriced cars I see in Cartoon after Poltical Cartoon? I've seen columns and blogs crying endlessly about the great American Car being "emasculated" by horrible tiny cars Obama is "Forcing" the car companies to produce!
Well, WHERE are they? Somoen show me a single Car that Obama has had ANY hand in designing!

EDIT: woops I just realized in my last post I quoted the wrong cartoon I had posted earlier, any way a Mod could fix that?

No.
~Pablo
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Why are those little European-style cars stupid, anyway? They're efficient, save consumers money, and (if you don't have a big family) work just fine.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Surlethe wrote:Why are those little European-style cars stupid, anyway? They're efficient, save consumers money, and (if you don't have a big family) work just fine.
I've actually seen some of them on the streets here in San Jose and I appreciate them- they fit in parking spaces better, they are easier to see around and, best of all, they are less likely to kill a person in an accident. They are a great case of reversing the tragedy of the commons- people getting bigger and bigger cars to compete with each other and everyone losing. Of course, some people need big cars, but the number of people driving alone in the US is extremely high.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

What is it with Obama and small cars anyway?

Didn't the US auto manufacturers just implode from building civilian APCs?
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

CJvR wrote:What is it with Obama and small cars anyway?

Didn't the US auto manufacturers just implode from building civilian APCs?
It's all about the fact that a lot of people own big cars as a self-esteem/small penis compensator
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Two ponts
One, who ever got advice from Gen Custer?
Two, where and when did Obama ever get advice from Newspapers?

I KNOW what this comic is saying and I KNOW why it's saying it. But its a sham, a strawman, and a smear.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!