OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: The Board Members You Miss Thread

Post by Darth Nostril »

pours one out for Hav

Miss you dude, and fuck cancer.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

The Infidel wrote: 2022-02-27 09:43am I miss when this place was alive. There was always this person who was an actual expert on stuff. Darth Wong on engineering, Kamikaze Sith when it came to police matters in the US, Coffee and his stories about flooring, Seraphina, Duchess of Zeon and others taught me a lot about transgender people and their problems, Starglider when it came to weird computer stuff. Kanastrous about movie sets and how stuff are done in movies. Thanas kept us in check when Dalton was too busy. These days, I rarely see posts from Dalton anymore. I miss Aly, Wong and so many people. So many are gone...
I'm also still around. You can find me on the SDN discord server. I became less active here for a variety of reasons but mostly because I have what I can only describe as discussion/debate fatigue (is that a thing?). I use to just love getting into a good discussion with people but now I just kinda shrug my shoulders and move on.

Still I have very fond memories of this place. Glad I joined 20 years ago.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tomorrow would have been Nitram's 40th birthday.

I wonder what he'd have thought about the world today and especially the US.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-05-17 11:30am Tomorrow would have been Nitram's 40th birthday.

I wonder what he'd have thought about the world today and especially the US.
Frustration and dry-wit I presume. Or just being bloody furious.

Also, I greatly miss JME2, and will always fondly remember our DCAU discussion threads and comic story discussion threads.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2022-05-17 01:43am
The Infidel wrote: 2022-02-27 09:43am I miss when this place was alive. There was always this person who was an actual expert on stuff. Darth Wong on engineering, Kamikaze Sith when it came to police matters in the US, Coffee and his stories about flooring, Seraphina, Duchess of Zeon and others taught me a lot about transgender people and their problems, Starglider when it came to weird computer stuff. Kanastrous about movie sets and how stuff are done in movies. Thanas kept us in check when Dalton was too busy. These days, I rarely see posts from Dalton anymore. I miss Aly, Wong and so many people. So many are gone...
I'm also still around. You can find me on the SDN discord server. I became less active here for a variety of reasons but mostly because I have what I can only describe as discussion/debate fatigue (is that a thing?). I use to just love getting into a good discussion with people but now I just kinda shrug my shoulders and move on.

Nice to hear from you, old man. :)
So, this discord thingy isn't just for talking? I've always only used it for team chat while gaming with friends. It seems that the SDN Discord is quite active, am I right?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Infidel wrote: 2022-05-18 02:01pm
Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2022-05-17 01:43am

Nice to hear from you, old man. :)
So, this discord thingy isn't just for talking? I've always only used it for team chat while gaming with friends. It seems that the SDN Discord is quite active, am I right?
It has a text chat which is what we use. And yeah, it is pretty decently busy.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

The Infidel wrote: 2022-05-18 02:01pm Nice to hear from you, old man. :)
Thank you. It's good to hear from you as well and everyone else.

Like Elheru said the text chat is decently busy.

As I'm sure you are aware Discord was originally for gamers but its use has expanded far beyond that. A bit and brief OT but they have servers in Music, Education, Science and Technology, and even hubs for students.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I'm in a LARP club that uses Discord to organise stuff and hold meetings. It's a damn useful service.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I miss the general activity, but I have to be honest that when we were really active 20 years ago I found the culture very toxic. But I liked to observe, and I didn't like to get involved much through fear of saying the wrong thing. But people were so passionate about things, which as an autistic person (I didn't know I was back then) I couldn't relate to for certain topics that were so important to many here.

I miss MKShepperd! He seems to be against the grain for the website, and I admired that. Also the Russian military expert guy ... Vympel? SeaSkimmer was a legend of military knowledge. And Lonestar was fun as well.

And of course Darth Wong, who I generally didn't agree with and when I was a kid didn't like, but I respect the hell out of him now I am an adult. What a smart and creative person but also he was very fucking brave putting himself out there as he did.

Take care everyone!
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ubiquitous wrote: 2022-06-02 05:44pm I miss the general activity, but I have to be honest that when we were really active 20 years ago I found the culture very toxic. But I liked to observe, and I didn't like to get involved much through fear of saying the wrong thing. But people were so passionate about things, which as an autistic person (I didn't know I was back then) I couldn't relate to for certain topics that were so important to many here.

I miss MKShepperd! He seems to be against the grain for the website, and I admired that. Also the Russian military expert guy ... Vympel? SeaSkimmer was a legend of military knowledge. And Lonestar was fun as well.

And of course Darth Wong, who I generally didn't agree with and when I was a kid didn't like, but I respect the hell out of him now I am an adult. What a smart and creative person but also he was very fucking brave putting himself out there as he did.

Take care everyone!
I wasn't diagnosed myself until adulthood, that was 8 years ago now. It was a relief just to know there was a name for the way my brain was wired. It does become tedious when employers ask how it's affected me because that implies it wasn't something I was born with so I have no frame of reference for comparison :lol:

Shep is still here, you'll find him in News & Politics :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Try being ID'd as Autistic when you're 50 and female.

"How did it affect you?"
Uh... it made me the bottom of the school totem pole, made me never understand or make easy friends with other girls, made me think all the rules girls had to follow were BS so I was a tomboy? Made me too smart for some things at school, so I was shifted to "Gifted Class" and further estranged from the kids at my school?

Made me go thru a nasty divorce because I was taught "Love and Marriage and White Picket Fences"? Made me always the outsider at work, even as I wind up taking on more than my share of duties? Made me have a "helium hand" whenever people need help, because I feel that maybe they'd like me more if I was USEFUL?

Yeah... I know how it's affected me.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-04 09:38pm Try being ID'd as Autistic when you're 50 and female.

"How did it affect you?"
Uh... it made me the bottom of the school totem pole, made me never understand or make easy friends with other girls, made me think all the rules girls had to follow were BS so I was a tomboy? Made me too smart for some things at school, so I was shifted to "Gifted Class" and further estranged from the kids at my school?

Made me go thru a nasty divorce because I was taught "Love and Marriage and White Picket Fences"? Made me always the outsider at work, even as I wind up taking on more than my share of duties? Made me have a "helium hand" whenever people need help, because I feel that maybe they'd like me more if I was USEFUL?

Yeah... I know how it's affected me.
Yeah that sucks. Sorry you've had a shitty time with it.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ubiquitous wrote: 2022-06-06 01:20pm Yeah that sucks. Sorry you've had a shitty time with it.
I was born at a time when Autism/Asperger's was "Male Only". There's still a lot of women my age or younger who have either not been diagnosed, or have been mis-diagnosed.

I never once considered the face I was something more than just "odd" until I started dating Nitram. Only once I knew a full diagnosed Autistic did a lot of my 'oddness' make sense.

And dammit I miss him horribly. In 10days it'll be 8 years he's been gone. :cry:

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-06 11:06pm
Ubiquitous wrote: 2022-06-06 01:20pm Yeah that sucks. Sorry you've had a shitty time with it.
I was born at a time when Autism/Asperger's was "Male Only". There's still a lot of women my age or younger who have either not been diagnosed, or have been mis-diagnosed.

I never once considered the face I was something more than just "odd" until I started dating Nitram. Only once I knew a full diagnosed Autistic did a lot of my 'oddness' make sense.

And dammit I miss him horribly. In 10days it'll be 8 years he's been gone. :cry:
God damn ... sending big hugs your way. He was a big loss.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-06 11:06pm And dammit I miss him horribly. In 10days it'll be 8 years he's been gone. :cry:
{{{hugs}}}

I miss my Other Half, too.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-11 04:53am
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-06 11:06pm And dammit I miss him horribly. In 10days it'll be 8 years he's been gone. :cry:
{{{hugs}}}

I miss my Other Half, too.
**HUGS**
They're right, it gets easier in time, but there's so many things I wish I could show him, or do with him. I know you understand that bit too. :(

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ubiquitous wrote: 2022-06-02 05:44pm. Also the Russian military expert guy ... Vympel?
He pops up on the SDN Discord chat now and then. Shep showed up a couple of times, but was shown the door.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-06-12 01:15pmShep showed up a couple of times, but was shown the door.
He trolls.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-12 09:20pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-06-12 01:15pmShep showed up a couple of times, but was shown the door.
He trolls.
Always has. Still not sure why we kept him

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-13 10:56am
He trolls.
I think it's case of being mildly amusing even when he's trolling and not just annoying and the fact that when he feels like properly contributing especially in subjects where facts rule over opinions he tends to have informative things to say.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-13 10:56am
He trolls.
Popular with the right people.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2022-05-31 09:27pm
The Infidel wrote: 2022-05-18 02:01pm Nice to hear from you, old man. :)
Thank you. It's good to hear from you as well and everyone else.

Like Elheru said the text chat is decently busy.

As I'm sure you are aware Discord was originally for gamers but its use has expanded far beyond that. A bit and brief OT but they have servers in Music, Education, Science and Technology, and even hubs for students.
I'm in the Discord chat now, but not sure it is something for me. Had to mute it, as it kept on pinging all the time.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Yeah, discord can be a bit like that.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

IIRC You can set the settings so the app doesn't constantly ping the phone notifications without muting everything but the server I was on kind of died and I've not used it recently.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I only have discord on my computer and only muted general chat in SDN chatroom only. If you tag me, I can still hear it if I'm around.