The Board Members You Miss Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

The Board Members You Miss Thread

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The board turns 20 this year. That is unbelievable to me. This was a formative place for me and I learned much from many of you. In the spirit of that let us remember some of the great minds that made this place what is was and is.

There are those who we know have passed beyond the rim of course Nitram… Ghost Rider… Both great personalities. Nitram in particular was someone who I had tremendous respect for. He made me a better debater. Made me think and taught me the lesson that exceptional claims require exceptional evidence. That I would like to have been able to thank him for. But alas..

Also what of those who just… faded away? Einhander Snoman comes to mind. Dude was funny as hell. And creative. Stravo, teller of epic tales… Starcrossed was, simply epic.

Let’s all take a minute… remember the times and people of SD net. Who knows maybe long lost lurkers will come by and say hello. And for those lost to the beyond, we say their names so they may live on.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: The Board Members You Miss Thread

Post by Batman »

JME2. A great guy for superhero discussions as he often filled in holes in my knowledge. far as I can tell nothing untowards happened to him he just left.
As for those who passed beyond the rim-you forgot the Bear.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Einhander is still with us, he posts regularly on the SDN Discord. Apparently he was banned some time ago for pissing off Thanas with a badly-timed wrestling gif.

Havok also passed some time ago, unfortunately.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Mr Coffee, who was a pretty cool guy when he was sober.

Also Starglider, for all that he could be kind of a dick, purely because it's not often I get to interact with someone who's more middle-class than I am.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I miss Thanas and PeZook. PeZook for the awesomeness that was Let's Play: BARIS, and Thanas for the fun stuff we had going on in SDNW5.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I miss most of the Testingstan folks. Good humour, and a needed counterbalance to the sites serious side.

It's awesome when Straha and loomer come back through though.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I miss Thanas. Not my favorite person, we didn't really like each other much, but I had respect for his knowledge and he often made me think or re-think topics.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Jacket Guy/Archinist. I greatly enjoyed his threads and unique way of viewing the world.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-02-22 04:25am I miss Thanas. Not my favorite person, we didn't really like each other much, but I had respect for his knowledge and he often made me think or re-think topics.
BoredShirtless is another one. We went at each other’s throats during the run up to Iraq war. Mercilessly and endlessly. With the benefit of hindsight I have to admit that he was… far more correct than I was on the core issues.

He was banned IIRC. Don’t remember exactly why but with his debate style I can imagine. Shit it’s a miracle I wasn’t banned back then. I definitely would have been banned if today’s standards were enforced then.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I'm certainly not one of the old guard like the rest of you, but I miss Simon_Jester. Arguing with him was the first thing I did when I joined this board. Unfortunately, I was a dumbass teenager for most of the time he and I were both active; I liked his take on things, and I feel like I would be marginally more interesting an opponent if he were still online much.

Also what Ralin said. Archinist was fun.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I don't miss any given one person especially much, I just miss the activity. Forums are a dying thing overall and I just don't jive with Reddit and wouldn't use FB for anything more than keeping up with family and shit posting. Discord has conversations, but things just get lost too quickly to use it as anything more than a place to chat.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Simon Jester and Ahriman238 the latter for his various David Weber analysis threads and the former because he always seem to have something sensible and level headed to say even if it went against what most of the board were saying.

And for shits and giggles The Romulan Republic, I in no way liked him, he took positions I should have agreed with and presented them in a way that made me hate them but damn if he didn't generate a lot and a lot and a lot of discussion.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I miss the ladies. It's really only me and Broomstick posting now.

I miss ImperialCat. His VladTepes avatar is how I'll always imagine his face.
I miss so many of FanFic's authors. We had some very talented writers.

I miss Ghostrider, who I got to meet in person once before he vanished. I really miss Nitram, who introduced me to this board.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-02-22 01:27pmAnd for shits and giggles The Romulan Republic, I in no way liked him, he took positions I should have agreed with and presented them in a way that made me hate them but damn if he didn't generate a lot and a lot and a lot of discussion.
Same. He and I didn't agree on a lot, but he was a decent guy when stress wasn't getting to him. And nothing he ever said about me was actually untrue, even when it wasn't flattering.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Jub wrote: 2022-02-22 01:21pm I don't miss any given one person especially much, I just miss the activity. Forums are a dying thing overall and I just don't jive with Reddit and wouldn't use FB for anything more than keeping up with family and shit posting. Discord has conversations, but things just get lost too quickly to use it as anything more than a place to chat.
Discord does have a "thread" feature where you can create a subgroup apart from the main chat if you want to discuss stuff in depth. The SDN Discord has threads for Wordle and movie and TV discussion, for example, as well as the main chat and another chat for the STGOD.

The threads vanish after >24hrs of no activity, but you can still post in them to bump them back up!
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-02-23 12:23pm
Jub wrote: 2022-02-22 01:21pm I don't miss any given one person especially much, I just miss the activity. Forums are a dying thing overall and I just don't jive with Reddit and wouldn't use FB for anything more than keeping up with family and shit posting. Discord has conversations, but things just get lost too quickly to use it as anything more than a place to chat.
Discord does have a "thread" feature where you can create a subgroup apart from the main chat if you want to discuss stuff in depth. The SDN Discord has threads for Wordle and movie and TV discussion, for example, as well as the main chat and another chat for the STGOD.

The threads vanish after >24hrs of no activity, but you can still post in them to bump them back up!
Let’s say someone had a discord account. How might one join this fabled discord server?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-02-23 12:23pmDiscord does have a "thread" feature where you can create a subgroup apart from the main chat if you want to discuss stuff in depth. The SDN Discord has threads for Wordle and movie and TV discussion, for example, as well as the main chat and another chat for the STGOD.

I know it does, but it's just not the same to me. I tend to join discords and then never use them for much of anything.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'd like to know where I can find (if applicable) RedImperator and DarthFanboy on Fanfiction.net or similiar. I want to see their stuff continued!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Darth Servo was a friend from the old StarTrek.com forums as well as a prolific vs. debater during the height of the debate.

+1 for the Testing crew, even Schuyler Colfax

Even some of the people who were V.I.'ed at one point were interesting to read, like Duchess of Zeon who I remember as a rabid Randroid

RIP Havok, GR and Nitram, we miss you
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2022-02-23 12:51pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-02-23 12:23pm

Let’s say someone had a discord account. How might one join this fabled discord server?
PM Ace Pace, Dartzap, Phongn or TimothyC. They'll send you an invite code.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-02-22 04:25am I miss Thanas. Not my favorite person, we didn't really like each other much, but I had respect for his knowledge and he often made me think or re-think topics.
Why did he leave? In any case I found him civil when I interacted with him and he certainly knew a great deal about history.

I also miss Havok a great deal. I kinda made an ass of myself when I first joined and Havok gave me advice on how to comport myself better. We ended on bad terms but I'll never forget that and he made a lot of good points

Simon's on sufficentvelocty now and he's fairly active.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I miss when this place was alive. There was always this person who was an actual expert on stuff. Darth Wong on engineering, Kamikaze Sith when it came to police matters in the US, Coffee and his stories about flooring, Seraphina, Duchess of Zeon and others taught me a lot about transgender people and their problems, Starglider when it came to weird computer stuff. Kanastrous about movie sets and how stuff are done in movies. Thanas kept us in check when Dalton was too busy. These days, I rarely see posts from Dalton anymore. I miss Aly, Wong and so many people. So many are gone...

It was a fun place, a good place. I usually started my day by reading the forums to check what had happened overnight.

When I found this place in 2002, it was quite wild and I didn't dare to make an account until 2009, afraid of being flamed. This place is a lot more civilized now, but also much more quiet. This forum was like this wild party where you met a lot of interesting people. Now, the party is over, the host went to sleep a long time ago and the few remaining are sobering up and it's 6AM in the morning. You talk to someone, then realize while you talked, another person left without exchanging contact info with you. These days, it's mostly Lady Tevar, Broomstick and Raw Shark that keeps me here as well. It can go days without me checking the forum. I hope Mike will keep this server up even when people have stopped posting, as I use it to read up on stuff. Sometimes checking 10 year old threads.

I miss reading new chapters of Starcrossed, watching how some people without proper knowledge in the topic discussed tried to look like an expert only to be mashed to pulp by actual experts by sheer weight of knowledge and facts and quite a bit of swearing. I miss how every tiny detail of SW/ST and other stuff got discussed.

In the beginning, I rarely went outside ST/SW forums, but these days, I mostly stay in Venting.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I miss a lot of the Fanfic peeps. There are some awesome stories in there and it is a shame some of them are unlikely to be finished.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Infidel wrote: 2022-02-27 09:43am This forum was like this wild party where you met a lot of interesting people. Now, the party is over, the host went to sleep a long time ago and the few remaining are sobering up and it's 6AM in the morning.
I really like this metaphor. Don't like that the party is winding down, but I am so very glad we had the party.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I miss Alferd Packer. I heard the guy logged out accidentally one day, forgot his password, and took almost 2 years to recover it. :D

But seriously, I miss my fellow SDN in the Sea of Time co-authors. One of the most fulfilling and engaging creative efforts of my life.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.