Sonny Chiba has passed away

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Sonny Chiba has passed away

Post by Sidewinder »

From Anime News Network:
Actor Sonny Chiba Passes Away Due to Pneumonia Caused by COVID-19 (Updated)
posted on 2021-08-19 10:01 EDT by Alex Mateo

Actor and martial artist Sonny Chiba passed away at a hospital in Kimitsu City in Chiba prefecture on Thursday at 5:26 p.m. due to pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19). He was 82.

Chiba's agency reported on Thursday that he had gone to the hospital on August 8 because his pneumonia from COVID-19 had worsened. He was on supplemental oxygen, but he was unable to recover before his death.

Chiba is survived by his children: actress Juri Manase, actor Mackenyu, and actor Gordon Maeda.

Chiba was born under the name Sadaho Maeda on January 22, 1939 in Fukuoka. He moved to Kimitsu at the age of four. He took on the stage name Shinichi Chiba, and later the name Sonny Chiba for international audiences.

Chiba starred as the title lead in the manga-to-film adaptation Golgo 13: The Kowloon Assignment as well as in cameos in Battle Royale II: Requiem, Kill Bill, and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. He gained popularity in Japan through the 1968 TBS television series Key Hunter and the Fuji TV series Shadow Warriors. He is best known worldwide for playing historical icons such as Hanzō Hattori and Jūbei Yagyū as well as fighting masters in over a hundred films. Chiba starred as Takuma Tsurugi in The Street Fighter film. He was also cast in a stage play of the Resident Evil (Biohazard) video game series.

Update: According to Chiba's agency, he had not been vaccinated for COVID-19. Source: Kyodo News

Source: Oricon via Hachima Kikо̄
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sonny Chiba has passed away

Post by Solauren »

Long and productive life.

The question I have is - WHY wasn't he vaccinated? Did he catch COVID before he could be vaccinated, did he refuse the vaccination, or did he have a medical reason for not getting vaccinated?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Solauren wrote: 2021-08-20 10:28am The question I have is - WHY wasn't he vaccinated? Did he... refuse the vaccination...?
If the following Anime News Network article is correct, he may have thought himself immune, and refused vaccination for that reason.
Health Supplement Claiming to Fight COVID-19 Removes Endorsement By Sonny Chiba
posted on 2021-08-24 17:45 EDT by Kim Morrissy

The "Dr's Hydrogen Celeb" hydrogen supplement product removed an endorsement video by Sonny Chiba following the actor's passing due to COVID-19. The president of Dr's Farma, the company which releases the supplement, has claimed that the product is "essential" as a countermeasure for COVID-19.

According to a National Institutes of Health fact sheet for health professionals, the data is "insufficient to support recommendations for or against the use of any vitamin, mineral, herb or other botanical, fatty acid, or other dietary supplement ingredient to prevent or treat COVID-19."

A cached version of the website from March includes Sonny Chiba's name and headshot in a list of celebrity endorsements.

Chiba's video testimony is still viewable as an unlisted video on the product's YouTube channel. Dr's Farma president Hideo Kawabata also cited Chiba's endorsement in a lecture at a Global Peace Convention 2017 forum.

Chiba passed away at a hospital in Kimitsu City in Chiba prefecture on Thursday due to pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19). He was 82. According to Chiba's agency, he had not been vaccinated for COVID-19.

<Snip previously posted details on Chiba's career.>

[Via Hachima Kikо̄]
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, embarrassing if your spokesman for your miracle supplement to prevent covid dies of covid.

A tragic loss for his family and his fans, and perhaps made worse if he could have been vaccinated and wasn't.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So, basically, he got fraudulent medical advice, and died as a result.

I hope his family sues that company into oblivion.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I think there should be personal responsibility here, if the majority of the global health establishment is recommending something and a company pays you to do the opposite I don't think you (or your family) should be able to sue them for more money on the grounds that 'you are shocked to find out that their advice was not factual!'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Maybe, but suing him will drag the company in the mud some more. Can't happen to fraudsters enough