OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 12:58pm
J wrote: 2022-12-23 12:19pm TIL that people will stick anything in their buttholes.
Not just their butholes.
Yeah. And the son of my former best friend just 'fell in the shower and landed' with a metal broomstick up his ass. He's VERY LUCKY the metal broomstick bent, it didn't completely puncture his colon. They had to do surgery to repair his intestines and he was in the hospital for weeks.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL If you have a outside vent for your clothes dryer and use it in single digit temps (with wind chill in double digits), the lint on the vent screen WILL FREEZE SOLID and clog the vent.
And then I had to go outside and attempt to clear a vent that's just barely within reach if I'm on my tiptoes. I couldn't loosen the frozen lint and had to just leave the screen hanging open.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-12-23 03:19pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 02:53pm
aerius wrote: 2022-12-23 01:09pm

I want to know how some guy managed to shove 4 plastic spoons up his dick.
I'm hoping that it stretched more than I'd expect it to.
One of the objects description:
"TOWEL WITH A SOCK OVER IT & GLOVE OVER THE SOCK" :shock: :lol:
Go back a few years and you'll find out where someone got dice stuck. That's a big "Why ?" along with the "How ?"

Also, you might want to take note of when that column gets posted each year.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

aerius wrote: 2022-12-23 01:09pm I want to know how some guy managed to shove 4 plastic spoons up his dick.
Lots of determination and little bit of lube?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 10:28pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 02:53pm

I'm hoping that it stretched more than I'd expect it to.
Go back a few years and you'll find out where someone got dice stuck. That's a big "Why ?" along with the "How ?"

So... there should be a new one after today? :mrgreen:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Broomstick wrote: 2022-12-25 03:50pm
aerius wrote: 2022-12-23 01:09pm I want to know how some guy managed to shove 4 plastic spoons up his dick.
Lots of determination and little bit of lube?
Or whether he stuck all four in at once or started with one and worked his way up? :shock:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And what KIND of plastic spoon? There's everything from plastic sugar spoons to soup ladles.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Batman wrote: 2022-12-25 04:37pm And what KIND of plastic spoon? There's everything from plastic sugar spoons to soup ladles.
Don't they know what happens when you put something up your urethra that you shouldn't? :o :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: NSFW if you're looking at this after Christmas :lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

NSFW basically anytime (for most workplaces, anyway) and we were talking 'plastic spoons, Not AntMan.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL something new about "12 Days Of Christmas".

It's not Five Gold Rings as in jewelry.
It's Five GOLD RING PHEASANTS.

Yes, it's about MORE BIRDS, making the first 7 days nothing but GIFTS OF BIRDS -- Swans a swimming, Geese a-laying, RingNeck Pheasants, "Colly" (black) birds, French Hens, Turtle doves, and A Partridge in a Pear tree.

And there are RECIPES for how to cook all of these birds, although the geese and hens might be better kept for the eggs. Then, you have the maids a-milking to give you more food, and once you have all this food, you have the dancers and leapers and pipers and drummers for the feast you're throwing with all these birds.

Internet Archive: The Annotated Mother Goose

Internet Archive: A Partridge in a Pear Tree

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-12-25 04:31pm

It was up when you made your post

This year includes “A BOOK OR A BUG”
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-25 10:26pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-12-25 04:31pm

It was up when you made your post

This year includes “A BOOK OR A BUG”
Highlights include "SHOE GLUE INSTEAD OF EAR DROPS", "hydrogen peroxide to kill fly", "Diesel", "Steak knife", and "video game controller".

Shouldn't be possible with the butt plug, aren't those designed specifically so they can't be lost that way? :lol: The only thing missing from that list is "Unicycle saddle". Like this guy:
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Today, well last week I learned what pointers are in C and I sorta understand the why I feel. I've decided to learn C despite it being very old language, but it seems like it can very powerful and useful to know. It brings you a step nearer the hardware than most and I think it could be beneficial to learn such basics. Also still used a lot in low level stuff which seems like it could be fun.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Mild hybrid cars exist. These are hybrids with manual transmissions, which comes at a cost of fuel efficiency compared to full hybrids because they do not have an electric only mode.

So far, the only reason I can see for them existing is that some people really love manual transmission.
His Divine Shadow

I'll drive a manual as long as it is humanly possible. Coworker likes automatics, bought a used diesel for 6k euros with 320k km on the meter and the gearbox gave out within a few months. She's on the hook for almost as much as the car's cost to fix it and the consumer protection agencies told her well it's an automatic over 300k kilometers on it, it's about as much as they last and you can't expect to get a lot more out of it so we rule no refund for you.

Manuals are more durable and simpler, I've come to value such things a lot more than features or ease of use. Simplicty. Durability.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2022-12-29 06:37am Manuals are more durable and simpler, I've come to value such things a lot more than features or ease of use. Simplicty. Durability.
For ICE vehicles, the manuals are simpler. For hybrids, I don't know which is simpler.

When it comes to pure EVs, everything I've heard says they are simpler than ICE vehicles.
His Divine Shadow

An EV doesn't need many gears, high and low maybe. Doesn't need a reverse. You don't even need a clutch if you are doing an EV conversion with a manual. Something I've looked into.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2022-12-29 06:37am I'll drive a manual as long as it is humanly possible. Coworker likes automatics, bought a used diesel for 6k euros with 320k km on the meter and the gearbox gave out within a few months. She's on the hook for almost as much as the car's cost to fix it and the consumer protection agencies told her well it's an automatic over 300k kilometers on it, it's about as much as they last and you can't expect to get a lot more out of it so we rule no refund for you
Er... what?

I've gotten 400,000 km+ out of automatic transmissions, and when I've given the car up it's not because the transmission went, it's because it hit a deer and trashed the entire front of the car or something like that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

His Divine Shadow

Didn't say they couldn't and do last longer, but from our consumer protection offices standpoint you were expected to consider this a thing that's not unreasonable to have break very soon after buying a used car here and you're on your own. Makes it a potentially huge gamble to buy a used car with an automatic in my eyes unless it's very low mileage.

Just one more reason for me to stay away from automatics since I don't value what they offer anyway and a manual does last longer o average and if they break its almost always a worn clutch which is relatively cheap to fix at a mechanic, a few hundred from my local mechanic. And if they break a replacement is also cheaper. The cheapest option for my coworker would be to refit the car as a manual, but she refuses, she loves automatics and got the car because it was one.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2022-12-29 07:10am An EV doesn't need many gears, high and low maybe. Doesn't need a reverse. You don't even need a clutch if you are doing an EV conversion with a manual. Something I've looked into.
The few EVs I've heard of with multiple gears only have two. One for high acceleration, the other for higher speed. But most stick with a single gear because that's good enough for driving on public roads. It's not worth the extra complexity to allow changing gears.

But, with mild hybrids existing, I'm expecting there to be enough people who demand a manual EV when they are forced to switch for someone to make one.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2022-12-29 11:35pm Didn't say they couldn't and do last longer, but from our consumer protection offices standpoint you were expected to consider this a thing that's not unreasonable to have break very soon after buying a used car here and you're on your own. Makes it a potentially huge gamble to buy a used car with an automatic in my eyes unless it's very low mileage.
Buying any used car is a bit of a gamble.

Also, thinking about it, there's probably a lot of people who drive in a manner abusive to their vehicle and don't do proper maintenance on them. That makes a huge difference in longevity.
Just one more reason for me to stay away from automatics since I don't value what they offer anyway
They are easier and sometimes safer to drive for people with certain types of problems. For example, I have automatics because, due to his disability, my late spouse found manuals very difficult to manage. I had an aging friend with hip problems who found the lessened leg movement to drive one much easier/less painful and swapped out his beloved manual for an automatic. Anyone with just one leg will find an automatic much easier, to say the least. Even many people who do prefer manuals who move to an area with a lot of start-and-stop traffic often concede an automatic is less tiring than a manual in that circumstance.

Of course, if none of the above applies to you by all means stick with your manual.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Today I learned of another really awesome-sounding job title to add to my list. Specifically from the UK's Royal Armouries, the Keeper of Firearms and Artillery.

Other examples include the Master Power Engineers working at UK powerplants (and possibly elsewhere) and the Head of Solar System Operations from ESA.

I aspire to one day have such an awesome-sounding job title.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
His Divine Shadow

TIL I learned... that Dermot Morgan, who played father Ted died on feb. 28th from a heart attack. Well I knew that first part but the thing I learned today was that the guy who played Father Jack (Frank Kelly) in the same show, died exactly 18 years to the day after Dermot, and from a heart attack too.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL Unemployment only pays out for 26 weeks, then you have to wait several weeks before re-applying.

How many weeks do you have to wait? My Unemployment payments run out in early May 2023. I can't Re-apply until October 16, 2023.

I love how Unemployment has been gutted by the GOP over the last 30yrs. After all, Poor Unemployed People can't be trusted, so we have to pay them way less than the Federal Minimum Wage, or they'll stay unemployed forever and live off their Unemployment! After all, they can always get a job at McDonald's, right?