Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Thank you to the Mods

Post by Dalton »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-07 11:38am
Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-07 08:14am
Ralin wrote: 2019-09-06 10:30am

She was convinced she was about to be banned because people thought she was racist for advocating separate legal systems for different ethnic groups or something like that. I forget the exact details.
Someone from the Class of 2002 and ASVS fearing a ban? That's a new one.
Er, Lord Poe? Wasn't he one of the old timers banned eventually after he came back after voluntarily leaving.
Wayne Poe was banned by Mike in 2009 - bad blood there. It's in Parting Shots
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

If you guys have questions for me - go ahead.
To Absent Friends

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Dalton wrote: 2019-09-11 07:28pm They are not immune. They don't get special protection. I've banned at least one who thought otherwise.
I vaguely recall one of the mod squad at some poont talking about how ASVS people were given leeway, if not full immunity.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Dalton wrote: 2019-09-11 07:31pm If you guys have questions for me - go ahead.
What is the speed of an unladen swallow?
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-11 09:22pm
Dalton wrote: 2019-09-11 07:28pm They are not immune. They don't get special protection. I've banned at least one who thought otherwise.
I vaguely recall one of the mod squad at some poont talking about how ASVS people were given leeway, if not full immunity.
You are likely misremembering. I once banned a very well known and well liked old timer for thinking otherwise.
To Absent Friends

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Dalton wrote: 2019-09-11 10:17pm You are likely misremembering. I once banned a very well known and well liked old timer for thinking otherwise.
Edi in an ooold thread wrote:The rules are the rules and they apply to everyone, and if there are exceptions, they are few and far between and generally reserved for people who predate the board with a long history on ASVS or are otherwise larger than life (Shep is an example of the former and Axis Kast belongs to the latter category). And even then there is no immunity.
I didn't realise that this was that long ago, but some of the ideas were rehashed in threads over time.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Dalton wrote: 2019-09-11 10:17pm You are likely misremembering. I once banned a very well known and well liked old timer for thinking otherwise.
I assume you don't mean Count Chocula.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-12 05:12pm
Edi in an ooold thread wrote:The rules are the rules and they apply to everyone, and if there are exceptions, they are few and far between and generally reserved for people who predate the board with a long history on ASVS or are otherwise larger than life (Shep is an example of the former and Axis Kast belongs to the latter category). And even then there is no immunity.
I didn't realise that this was that long ago, but some of the ideas were rehashed in threads over time.
I mean if you cut out the parts where he says, "The tolerance for out of control behavior by long time members has become significantly less in the past six months or so than what it used to be back in the early days of the board," and "It used to be somewhat different when the board was small and everyone knew almost everyone else, but with the increase in size and number of members, that sort of approach is simply not possible if the place is to run in an orderly fashion," I guess you could make that interpretation?

To the extent such exceptions existed, it apparently only lasted for the first year and a half or so by Edi's description and the timeline of the board's founding and his post.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

IIRC (and Dalton or one the mods can feel free to correct me if I was wrong) the exceptions mention were/are more of a "we're willing to give you a chance to make ammends before we bring the rule book on you" then "you're free to break the rules as long as you don't go too far".
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

In a semi-relevant note I was looking at my old HoS posts and it seems I'm less angry (sounding) now then I was in the past even as late as 2015 I sound a lot more angry at world then I am/feel now.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-09-14 10:35am
Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-12 05:12pm
I mean if you cut out the parts where he says, "The tolerance for out of control behavior by long time members has become significantly less in the past six months or so than what it used to be back in the early days of the board," and "It used to be somewhat different when the board was small and everyone knew almost everyone else, but with the increase in size and number of members, that sort of approach is simply not possible if the place is to run in an orderly fashion," I guess you could make that interpretation?

To the extent such exceptions existed, it apparently only lasted for the first year and a half or so by Edi's description and the timeline of the board's founding and his post.
Things worked differently when Mike was around. His board, his rules. He was far more likely to unilaterally ban someone who pissed him off, without mercy. *shrug*

Keep in mind that this has happened over the course of 17 years. 17.
To Absent Friends

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

SB mods are shitheads man.

I'm still waiting on my "Lee Fuxx You" account, that I made to celebrate the dictator's death, to get approved.

Actually, on that note, why are there such a huge number of Singaporeans there? I wouldn't expect an Amos Yee topic to get to even 50 posts anywhere else, but that thread kept going and going.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

It's possible what Gandalf is thinking of is that there were a small number of people who did get in a sense 'special consideration' because - as Dalton notes - its Mike's board and Mike's rules. It wasn't ASVS so much I believe as it was certain people in the SW vs ST circles he ran in (Brian Young, Curtis, Wayne Poe myself, etc.)

But even that had limits obviously (see Wayne Poe) and there were some ASVSers who got special dispensation too (Shep comes to mind, obviously.)

But this is something that is like, over a decade old by now.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Cheers
Bullets always have the right of away