General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

There was a small event this past weekend, one of the last before Coronation. Nice cozy little event where everyone could relax and just enjoy themselves. Even the Court was small and relaxed, only four awards.

Surprisingly, one of them was to award me the Order of the Millrind, Æthelmearc's Order of High Merit for Service. Seems my name was brought up at the Order Meeting during Pennsic, and I was voted in as one of the newest members. This means I am now THLady Kathryn MacLuing.

But what really had me crying was my scroll was the first one done by the artist. She and I have spoken many times, and she drew me as she saw me most -- holding up a scroll and reading from it. She not only drew me in one of my favorite sets of garb, she added the blue lace agate circlet. I got that circlet my first Pennsic (#19).
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Congratulations, Your Ladyship.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Thank you, My lord.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HAIL GARETH AND JULIANA, FIRST OF THEIR NAME, KING AND QUEEN OF SYLVAN ÆTHELMEARC!
I was honored to be part of the morning Court, where King Timothy and Queen Gabriella stepped down. As one of the Attending Heralds, I had custody of the Queen's Crown from the moment Timothy removed it from Gabriella until Gareth crowned Juliana. I can't describe how I felt to simply be there, holding this tiny piece of gilded metal that represented so much of what I hold dear.

And yes, they're from WV, so we fellow WVians are already hard on the jokes about "Redneck Reign" and "Hillbilly Highnesses". :)

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Speaking as an Outlander, I respect your accomplishments, but you would always be welcome in our kingdom. Hillbillies and mountaineers aren't so very different.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

So last fall I realized that my new lady was a scifi geek, and all of a sudden the SCA was back on the table for us. So we bought some stuff, and are getting ready to head into our first eventing season in a lot of years.

I've abandoned plans to do Roman. I really wanted to, started making garb to, and in September ordered a custom helm through Trinity Armory. Trinity is essentially a middleman for production/munitions grade stuff out of India. It should have been a straightforward thing. My helm was reportedly complete on Feb. 23 but at the end of April it hadn't shown so I was finally like "What have you got in stock?" ... "Ship it."

So in my hot little hands is a gorgeous late 12th century Varangian/Byzantine hat.

I'm Antirian. I can do Varangian.

Anyways, we've got garb together albeit plain. A camp together albeit plain. And a set of armor... We're going Full Saint.

This is gonna be awesome.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

WELCOME HOME, LP!
I'm very glad you have been able to return to the Society, and I hope you and your wife have a blast at the event!

I am, however, a bit worried about your helm. There have been issues with Trinity, not just with non-shipment of product, but also with Safety of product. The India-made helms have been failing tests due to inferior steel gauge. They are promising SCA-legal, but the steel is too weak. And if a non-fighter like me has heard of this, it's a Big Issue among the Marshals and fighters. Have the helm tested before you invest more into it.

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

It's good to be back and thanks for the heads up!

It makes sense that someone was making helms in lighter gauge steel for show/display and got caught doing it. I hammered out a helm one time and it was surprising how much harder it was to move and shape 12 and 14 gauge opposed to 16 or thinner. Like hours and hours more work for my little IT guy arms.

I'm pretty sure that the hat I got is sufficiently thick. It weighs a ton, similar to other 12ga helms I've worn in the past. We'll gauge it just to be sure though.

Boots arrived today from Bohemond! They may be my favorite purchase so far.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You got good boots? YAY! I honestly think finding good, comfy SCA boots is harder than finding any other piece of garb.

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I went ahead and sprung for a "Saxon Boot" that fits well, has a vibram sole, and accepts my superfeet insoles. They're great.
https://boots-by-bohemond.myshopify.com ... saxon-boot

So at the end of the day, here I am in armor. I need to restrap some things, pad some things, and add the little flappy skirt at the bottom of the lamellar to look more like a Military Saint.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Very snazzy-looking. Looks like there's arm protection under the sleeves, too - yes?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Yep. That's actually SCA field legal at the moment. Under the arms are leather vembraces with aluminum splints pointed to aluminum elbow cops. The legs are AL cops pointed to plastic cuisses. I'm even wearing the cup. I probably want some greaves, but might just grab a hockey shinguard.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Nice setup. Add mail sleeves, some strip greaves, and a lamellar skirt and you're good to go.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Glad you like it!

I'm torn between "Very Good for the SCA" and an actual 1201 Byzantine impersonation with hauberk under the lam, stripped leather between each row, and properly cut and tailored metal lam for the skirt and arms.

I'll probably start with a skirt of leather that gives the impression of a Saint, then add a hauberk. Then I'll make a second set of lamellar in steel, and build out until the shoulders, arms, and skirt are actual recreations.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

That seems like a pretty decent balance of authenticity and applicability to the SCA ruleset. It's too bad that mail really doesn't do anything practical besides looking cool... could you maybe do some voider-ish things with attached sleeves, in lighter-gauge rings than would be historically protective? Might do some of the look without adding too much weight.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Or go for the mask....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Esquire wrote: 2018-05-08 12:43pm That seems like a pretty decent balance of authenticity and applicability to the SCA ruleset. It's too bad that mail really doesn't do anything practical besides looking cool... could you maybe do some voider-ish things with attached sleeves, in lighter-gauge rings than would be historically protective? Might do some of the look without adding too much weight.
Actually, Esquire, the mail attached to the helm is SCA legal, and protects the neck area from most blows. I forget if he still needs a gorget or neck brace beneath it, but many fighters are switching to it for both authenticity and safety.

I'd add a lamellar skirt for extra hip protection, because there will always be that One Wrap-Shot you never block. You usually don't get many shots to the shins, as they are illegal targets, but a lot of fighters have gone for simple soccer shin-guards. Light protection against the random low blow, but also protective when you have to take the knee.
Under the armor, they're also using UnderArmour Padded shirts and girdles, because they offer padding in just the right places while also being washable. I understand the fabric is very breathable and wicks away sweat too.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

A gorget is required regardless of helmet drape.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I'm still finishing up this set of armor, but once I'm reasonable comfortable that the pieces are reliable, I'll do a post showing what I've got going on from the skin out. I've got most of what people are talking about incorporated into the armor.

Instead of a gambeson I'm running a modern compression shirt with padding over the ribs and spine. Modern compression shorts that pad the hip and tailbones. I'm not unhappy with my helmet padding(The crown is all surplus ACH pads) but I'll likely pick up anti-concussion foam for the bottom and fitting, $50 for even a chance of staving off some brain injury is worth it. I'll probably put together scale rerebraces this week. I'm 40 now, and honestly I'm pretty happy with my athleticism and recovery, but more armor is better and I've got an extra 50 plastic lamellar scales sitting around.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-05-10 04:18pm Actually, Esquire, the mail attached to the helm is SCA legal, and protects the neck area from most blows. I forget if he still needs a gorget or neck brace beneath it, but many fighters are switching to it for both authenticity and safety.
Right - I was talking about a hauberk or mail shirt, as the main threat profile they were used against historically (cutting attacks) isn't really an issue. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Given the rest of my suit is "modern sport" I wonder how much difference in speed/fighting all day a hauberk would make. At some point you decide if you're a fighter that looking good and inspiring others is important to you. And just about nothing looks better than a riveted mail hauberk.

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

So I've got this whole set of armor together and I'm having some serious second thoughts regarding concussion and traumatic brain injury stuff. Analyzing risk/reward is really difficult here for me.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's a risk, but if everyone is following the rules not much of one. Unfortunately, rhino hiding has made ramped up calibration more common in some kingdoms. I don't know about the West/An Tir (depending on where on the west coast you are).

For what it's worth, fencing carries very little risk of concussion if you want to take that up instead.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I've been seriously considering transitioning to Rapier. We'll see!

I'm 40 and trying to rock climb pretty seriously, and the thought of losing balance for weeks/months really make the consequences of concussion very high.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Greetings Æthelmearc,

We write to you with a heavy heart but must inform you that HRH, Titus Scipio Germanicus, has passed away. Details are still coming in but we wanted to inform the Kingdom before it is discovered on Social Media or other means.

At this time, we ask that you please respect HRH, Anna Leigh by giving her the space she needs while she is going through this difficult time.

Any questions or concerns may be directed to Ourselves or the Kingdom Seneschal, Duke Christopher Rawlyns.

Our hearts and prayers are with Her Royal Highness and their families and friends.

In Service to Æthelmearc,

Sven & Siobhan
King and Queen of Æthelmearc
Their Royal Highnesses were visiting the Kingdom of Outlands, attending Battlemoor. HRH Titus came off the battlefield, and felt choked and unable to breathe. He agreed to medical attention, and was transported to a local hospital where they found a blood clot in his lung. Despite heroic efforts, the ER staff were unable to prevent the clot from causing a myocardial infarction.

Titus was a nut, a huge-hearted man, and I will miss him horribly.
He was really fun guy who was full of life and laughter, but could also quietly sit beside a young woman suffering a migraine until she was able to be helped to the Royal Room for rest and silence. He could act as the most outrageous shenanigator (he who causes shenanigans), leading others into crazy fun on the field or in Court (He once entered Court a'la Risky Business, sliding in on his knees). He once wore Batman Underroos (with cape!) to a Pennsic Children's Party, and many Scadians have changed their icons to reflect his love of The Bat. He adored meeting new fighters and teaching them, and I'd never seen him grin wider than when a youth fighter got a kill on him.
He was simply a big man, in all the good ways, and even now, he's leaving a big hole in many people's hearts.

Goodnight, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Or Valkyries dunk you in the mead-cask until you've drained it all. That was more your style.