[Member]It's Nominations Time Again!

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

[Member]It's Nominations Time Again!

Post by Coyote »

It's nominations time again, it being the 2nd, and I while I don't have anyone immediately in mind to nominate, I was wondering about some way to allow "plebian" participation in the democratic process.

A Senator can nominate someone; but what if a Senator were to ask for recommendations from the board in general? The people can respond either in public (say, the OT forum?) or via PM.

Of course, if the nominations are taken via PM there's no oversight. A hundred people could call for "Bob" and one person calls for "Bill", and if the Senator happens to like "Bill" (or just dislike "Bob"), then the Senator can show up and say "I'll nominate Bill". But then, that's no different than if the Senator just decided to nominate Bill in the first place, without any input, which is what we have now.

So, as a Senator, I have the right to nominate someone. I can't think of anyone right at the moment. Would it even be procedurally proper for any Senator to "make their vote available" for others?

Of course the Senator opening his or her vote would have the right to also ask for links to threads backing the plebe's claim. And could a Plebe self-nominate?

Re-tagged per 2.A.I
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: [Discussion]It's Nominations Time Again!

Post by Dalton »

Self-nomination is strictly prohibited.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Okay. I was under the impression that --for awhile at least-- self-nomination was being considered. It was back when there was a big rethinking of the rules for the Senate when it became clear Rob Wilson wasn't going to be returning any time soon and Wilkins was assuming the mantle.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Dalton wrote:Self-nomination is strictly prohibited.
Actually Dalton I took that out of the Senate rules. I know its on the entry requirements and it was in the old rules but I deleted the ban on self promotion. Honestly if someone has to campaign for entry to the senate then they are either:
A) Really good but we've forgotten about them
B) Not going to pass the Chancellor's discretion test
C) Not going to win support of the Senate after a shameless campaign

Anyway since you have to (again) be a Senator to nominate you technically can't self nominate. Since I seriously doubt any organized campaign for entry will ever succeed (unless the person is worthy on the merits regardless) the self promotion rule no longer exists.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dalton

Re: [Member]It's Nominations Time Again!

Post by Dalton »

Very well. This is getting frustrating. I'll leave further rules clarifications to you.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Dalton wrote:Very well. This is getting frustrating. I'll leave further rules clarifications to you.

I don't know if I ever posted it up but at one time I had the idea to just kick everyone out of the Senate until they sent a PM confirming that they had actually read the rules thread :D

Honestly I think about 4 people who are not me have actually read that damn thread.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

*raises hand*

I read it! :)

.....of course, I'm also the most recent of the elected Senators (barring the recent mod additions), so give me a few months to forget it. Or weeks, given all the work for SDNW3..... :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, that's why I thought it was still allowed to self-nominate. But, with all the changes lately... :o