[Discussion] Smilies

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

[Discussion] Smilies

Post by Surlethe »

Let's open this up for our lordly selves to discuss. Personally, I entirely support the removal of the bazooka shooting smiley.

I think we should soon get an actual honest-to-God vote on this, since it's a good idea and the HoC isn't technically an advisory body.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: [Discussion] Smilies

Post by Knife »

I don't see it as that big of a deal. You don't want to use smileys, don't. Don't like seeing them in posts, scroll. Seems like a non-issue.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I actually don't see the cannon smiley used very much, and when I have seen it, it hasn't struck me as particularly inappropriate. Sure, it could be used obnoxiously, but I'm not seeing that happening, so I don't see much call to remove it.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

If there are problems with the smilies, we should be going after those who abuse them, rather than the smilies thesmelves.

Edit: And more harshly, if existing rules about excessive/annoying smileys ain't bad enough.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I see no problem with the cannon smiley. We shouldn't enforce every personal opinion we have on others. What next, I don't like his typing style, lets ban that too? If people get obnoxious, we deal with them. Don't punish everyone for the actions of a few.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I wonder if it would be feasible to disable smiley rendering in user preferences...
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Ted C wrote:I wonder if it would be feasible to disable smiley rendering in user preferences...
You can. GO to User Control Panel, select Board Preferences, choose Edit Display Preferences, and you can turn them off. Third option from the top.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Ender wrote:
Ted C wrote:I wonder if it would be feasible to disable smiley rendering in user preferences...
You can. GO to User Control Panel, select Board Preferences, choose Edit Display Preferences, and you can turn them off. Third option from the top.
That would seem to solve the problem for people who find smilies annoying, then.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

See? Easy fix.

Next problem?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

your husband doesn't post nearly enough.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

I'm going to go with the general consensus that this discussion is somewhat pointless, however, for those of us with nothing better to do I'll throw this one out; Let's flood the board with smilies! Image

More variety reduces individual smiley useage = less bitching about :kill:.
:D
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Honestly, I think adding more smilies is appropriate. :eng101: for example would be useful here
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est