[Question] Seeing cloaked members.

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

[Question] Seeing cloaked members.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I can now see cloaked members on the board--have the settings been adjusted so that Senators alone can do this (well, I already assumed mod staff had the ability to do so), or has the cloaking feature effectively been eliminated?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: [Question] Seeing cloaked members.

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I can now see cloaked members on the board--have the settings been adjusted so that Senators alone can do this (well, I already assumed mod staff had the ability to do so), or has the cloaking feature effectively been eliminated?
Would those happen to be the users whose names show up in italics?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yup that would be them.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

I received this PM from a plebe, which I am reposting here:
What?! How many people can see cloaked users? I always assumed the mods could, but I'd appreciate it if that privilige was restricted to them. What's the point of using it when you've got 50 some users able to see you? And mainly active users, at that.

Please push for this to be eliminated for the Senators, if you would.
Even though I think it's reasonable for senators to be able to see cloaked users, he deserves his voice to be heard.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

"Why exactly do senators need the ability to see cloaked users? Are they mods? Do they need to know if someone prefers to stay hidden? no."
Another anonymous comment. My own reply is that I just find it somewhat useful to follow posting patterns on the board, and to know whether or not someone is on the board right there and then so that I can PM them in real-time and expect a quick response.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

This is undoubtedly Yet Another Permissions Foulup. I'm sure it will be corrected as soon as possible; in the old software, even mods couldn't see cloaked users.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I've received a PM or two from people who are concerned about some 50-odd members seeing them. I don't really see why we need to have Senators able to see cloaked members, though it's not a big deal either way.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Surlethe wrote:I've received a PM or two from people who are concerned about some 50-odd members seeing them. I don't really see why we need to have Senators able to see cloaked members, though it's not a big deal either way.
Some people are just more comfortable being cloaked, for whatever reason. There really is no reason for the entire Senate to be able to see cloaked members; as I said, in the old software, even moderators couldn't see cloaked members. There was, as far as I know, no plan to let Senators see cloaked members; it just happened that way when we went to version 3.

That said, the board upgrade disrupted permissions all over the board, and Mike still has a lot of clean-up work to do. People have to be patient; we will fix the problem, but we might not be able to fix it right away. If moderators had to wait for more than a week for the right to move threads into Parting Shots, users are going to have to wait for the cloaks to be fixed. You've got basically one guy trying to fix all of the technical problems from the switchover and hey--turns out, SDN isn't actually his paying job.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

The new permissions system is much more flexible than the old one, but it is also more complicated. However, I think I am becoming more comfortable with it.

Senators should no longer be able to see cloaked members. Somebody please confirm that this is the case.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Confirmed - I am cloaked, and I can't see myself in this forum.

Edit- Confirmed in the general board. No italicized users.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Can we actually ban people from certain forums now? I think we have a lot more permissions than we thought...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.