Spoiler policy [discussion]

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Another view from another pleb;
I've got to echo Stravo, spoiler tags are extremely unnecessary on a board where the main populace is intelligent enough to realize going into a "Most Deserving Death" or "Spider-Man 3 Reactions!" thread is going to give things away. Do you have to put giant neon lights over a fire so people know not to touch it?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'm a man of the people;
Just because the population of this board has the intelligence not to need a spoilers warning for all obvious spoilers, not implementing a new and useful feature because of this seems, well, stupid. The usefulness of a spoilers feature has no relation to the intelligence of the posters reading the thread, as posters who avoid spoilers threads will avoid them regardless, and those wishing to be spoiled will get to utilize the new functionality of the board without the hassle of the current spoiler methods.
And everyone who didn't wish to be spoiled avoided ROTS threads and the PSW sections. There is no reason to punish those who want new spoiler software just because you somehow feel elite because of your ability to not read something. People inadvertently put spoilers in numerous threads, and having a simple ability to make it into a spoilers code will lessen this problem. As people obviously keep bitching about this enough to get it brought to the senate, maybe getting off your fucking high horse and looking into solutions would be better than saying "well avoid a whole fucking forum because that's what I did, har har".
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

I've got to echo Stravo, spoiler tags are extremely unnecessary on a board where the main populace is intelligent enough to realize going into a "Most Deserving Death" or "Spider-Man 3 Reactions!" thread is going to give things away. Do you have to put giant neon lights over a fire so people know not to touch it?
Not every case is that obvious. (Though I do agree that such obvious threads shouldn't need to give a spoiler warning.)

What about a hypothetical thread discussing the duel between Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul from Episode I suddenly getting a spoiler from a new book or the upcoming TV series where Obi-Wan mentions some new detail relevant to that duel? Or should the reader avoid all Star Wars-related discussions simply because he/she hasn't seen/read the latest release yet?

What about a thread discussing Season 2, Episode 20 of Heroes (which the reader has seen) where someone brings up the clarification to a question that appears in Season 2, Episode 23 (which the reader has not seen)? Or should the reader avoid all Heroes-related threads simply because he/she hasn't seen all the released episodes yet?
Later...
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Just because the population of this board has the intelligence not to need a spoilers warning for all obvious spoilers, not implementing a new and useful feature because of this seems, well, stupid. The usefulness of a spoilers feature has no relation to the intelligence of the posters reading the thread, as posters who avoid spoilers threads will avoid them regardless, and those wishing to be spoiled will get to utilize the new functionality of the board without the hassle of the current spoiler methods.
And everyone who didn't wish to be spoiled avoided ROTS threads and the PSW sections. There is no reason to punish those who want new spoiler software just because you somehow feel elite because of your ability to not read something. People inadvertently put spoilers in numerous threads, and having a simple ability to make it into a spoilers code will lessen this problem. As people obviously keep bitching about this enough to get it brought to the senate, maybe getting off your fucking high horse and looking into solutions would be better than saying "well avoid a whole fucking forum because that's what I did, har har".
My thoughts exactly! For those of you against it, how would adding the spoiler tag software fuck up your day? You don't even have to use them if you don't want to. It's just a useful bit of software that would make things a bit smoother.

I'm all for the mod.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dalton wrote:
My thoughts exactly! For those of you against it, how would adding the spoiler tag software fuck up your day? You don't even have to use them if you don't want to. It's just a useful bit of software that would make things a bit smoother.

I'm all for the mod.
I concur on all counts with both of you.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Dalton wrote:

I'm all for the mod.
I agree with this post.
:D