[discussion] Word Filters

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: [discussion] Word Filters

Post by Havok »

Well actually they are there so Mike can filter shit he doesn't like, as he said, so your opinion is wrong.

The thing with 'am i rite' is you can, almost in every post it is used in, replace it with the rolling eye smiley and you have essentially the same effect. It is just a written form of it. I don't see what is particularly annoying about it.

I just, probably idiotically, assume that when someone here says something that it originated here because I rarely go to other sites that people talk about, and when I do, I usually only spend about 10 minutes there and don't go back. I think I am giving the people here too much credit. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Mike just hates that kind of pidgin english; it's in the rules and everything. There's no room at all to move on issues like this - he hates people using 'internet' abbreviations and made-up words, so he changed one that really annoys him. I don't have a problem with it, even if I also think the idea that it somehow 'spread' from testing is wrong.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I don't have a problem with anything Mike does, or for that matter, what most of the admins and mods do. I just like to argue sometimes. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stark wrote:Mike just hates that kind of pidgin english; it's in the rules and everything. There's no room at all to move on issues like this - he hates people using 'internet' abbreviations and made-up words, so he changed one that really annoys him. I don't have a problem with it, even if I also think the idea that it somehow 'spread' from testing is wrong.
Try searching for it, or the replacement phrase you'll find examples were it's recently crept into the board. Minus the ones you can't see where it really ticked him off.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The ones we can't see? Did someone use it in the mod forums? :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Probably the ones he personally horsemanised. Fun fact: searching for that phrase does appear to also return *I'm a smarmy asshole* results as well, for reasons I have no idea why due to board software, unless I'm mistaken.

It also appears that its first uses were bizarrely enough in OT and N&P, even though the overwhelming majority appear to be G&C from cursory inspection.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Havok wrote:The ones we can't see? Did someone use it in the mod forums? :lol:
I have difficulty imagining any of the mods using that phrase, much less using it somewhere outside of testing.
Duckie wrote:It also appears that its first uses were bizarrely enough in OT and N&P, even though the overwhelming majority appear to be G&C from cursory inspection.
From 2006 no less.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Havok wrote:The ones we can't see? Did someone use it in the mod forums? :lol:
Are you a female homosexual Mecha loving, comic book reading, Moderator, former or current member of the military or Christian who likes Transformers? There are forums some people are not a part of that might lessen the number of results you get.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ah. I took 'you' as 'non mods' for some reason. That would be one hell of a business card though. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

On a somewhat related topic, can we do something about the utterly retarded "I for one welcome our new * overlords"? That shit was funny on the Simpsons. It's been overused by this point and is just lame.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:On a somewhat related topic, can we do something about the utterly retarded "I for one welcome our new * overlords"? That shit was funny on the Simpsons. It's been overused by this point and is just lame.
When was the last time anyone actually used it?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

A few weeks ago in Testing, I think. I know I've seen it a few times in N&P and been annoyed. But not in a good long while. Then again, I stopped visiting here for a few months, too. So I may have missed some instances.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Duckie wrote:I'd dispute how much of Testing really has its own vocabulary and how much is original (smugdog is certainly a loan from somethingawful, but that's about all that comes to the top of my head besides ED's Am I Right that actually comes from G&C anyhow, and, uh... well, Uraniun posted a gif from SA about captain picard smoking weed once, if I remember correctly), but that's not the point of this thread: The point of this thread is that the word filter is pretty cool in my opinion.
I've posted quite a bit of material from the SA forums here - most of the non-standard smilies I've ever used originated there, as well as some phrasing: the "ATTN:" thing I pretty directly purloined, as well as "ITT" (In This Thread).

I can't speak for others but I cannot recall ever trying to push 4chan or ED material here - my other main forums hangout is SA, and I always cringed at the thought that Testing would become more like 4chan than like the screwball forums at SA (even though technically 4chan was founded by SA members).
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

oh yeah, ITT. I forgot about that one, because it's actually a useful abbreviation, and those smilies (although you don't see them much anymore save that damn dog, and I personally prefer to, when a smilie is called for, make my own by posting tiny things like that one twilight book one or the one everyone missed due to the thread being deleted where I actually found a use for 'nicholas cage with his head in a jar full of bees')