Replacement mod of Fanfics

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Replacement mod of Fanfics

Post by Ace Pace »

I know it's a forum that doesn't have alot of traffic, but several threads, notably Stuart's fic thread, are pretty much chock full of spam. Now there's nothing wrong with "awesome chapter." But several posts in a row all bemoaning the lack of new chapters and then discussing the fact the posts led other people to believe there is a new chapter?

Any reason why this behavior goes on there?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Replacement mod of Fanfics

Post by RedImperator »

Ace Pace wrote:I know it's a forum that doesn't have alot of traffic, but several threads, notably Stuart's fic thread, are pretty much chock full of spam. Now there's nothing wrong with "awesome chapter." But several posts in a row all bemoaning the lack of new chapters and then discussing the fact the posts led other people to believe there is a new chapter?

Any reason why this behavior goes on there?
Well, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because the mod of that forum hasn't even logged in since December of last year. Obvious solution is to add it to some existing mod's portfolio.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Yeah, I'm an idiot in my OP. I ignored my thread title. Excuse me.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

I was under the impression that the moderator responsibilities of the Fanfics had already been given to someone; is my memory faulty?
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Tiriol wrote:I was under the impression that the moderator responsibilities of the Fanfics had already been given to someone; is my memory faulty?
I remember discussing it and I think one of the SuperMods said they would keep an eye on things but I could be horribly wrong.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Tiriol wrote:I was under the impression that the moderator responsibilities of the Fanfics had already been given to someone; is my memory faulty?
I remember discussing it and I think one of the SuperMods said they would keep an eye on things but I could be horribly wrong.
I might have volunteered to keep an eye on it.

Oops.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

RedImperator wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:
I might have volunteered to keep an eye on it.

Oops.
How dare you not log in since December!
For shame sir!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Aside from the Pantheocide thread currently (which needs to be locked and a new one started since it's past 100 pages, which IIRC meant that it gets difficult to fix when it needs it), how many actual fic threads really need moderating? Yeah, a lot of story responses are little-substance "Yay that was awesome!" posts but that's encouragement for authors who have doubts about their own writing or struggle to continue for fear of sucking, and if it never gets past three or four pages and that's with the story intermixed, what does it matter?

This discussion came up before, and I asked for someone who could archive old completed stories that people liked and actually put them in the completed and cleaned up fanfic subforum. There's a lot of work there that should be done; the stories fall off the main page and they're lost unless someone is really, really bored, but then they won't be able to tell the difference between completed excellent stories and stuff that kinda fell off and stopped after chapter ten or so. All we'd need is someone with some time to go through and make the cleaned threads and a suggestion thread where people like me could chime in with "Ooh! Ooh! That Batman fanfic by Publius! 'A Tale of Gotham Nights' or something!"

Or heck, I'd volunteer for it since it's more "tedious work" than "getting power" and I'm totally into tedious repetitive tasks - I do transcribe bird migration cards online for fun. Don't even have to make the person a real mod, just someone with permissions in the subforum like Stuart currently. And that'd be fine with me as I'd like to avoid the periodic drama.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I agree someone needs to be added to moderate the forum. That lazy bastard is not doing his job...

Seriously, it does an additional person.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote:I agree someone needs to be added to moderate the forum. That lazy bastard is not doing his job...

Seriously, it does an additional person.
Well, it's good to know you didn't get hit by a bus or anything. :)

To contribute to the thread, I'd like to 'me-too' Mayabird's idea, and I'd even nominate her for the job, since she's got a plan going and it sounds like she would enjoy it. I too would like to see more archived in the cleaned up fanfics forum.
JADAFETWA
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

The motion is seconded, is voting open? Cleaned up Fanfics could benefit greatly from a mod who has time to go at it. I cut/pasted my copies of Duchess' The Long Patrol and De Imperatoribus Galacticis into my own Word files, as well as Eleventh Cen's Hull No. 721, from the fanfic threads. What a pain in the ass, especially for stories that deserve memorialization in Completed or Cleaned up Fanfics. And where's Mike's Conquest? That should be the top anchor in the sub-forum.

I'm being selective towards Wars fanfics, but I'm sure there are a lot more than seventeen completed fanfics that are subforum worthy. I think Mayabird could do good stuff there and in the main forum. Stuff like dumping the last three pages of the Pantheocide thread into a separate topic.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I move that we abolish the fanfiction forum entirely. It has stagnated and smells funny. Plus fanfiction has scarred me for life. As stated elsewhere I never read anything in it. This is because fanfiction makes you sterile. For all of these reasons I move to delete fanfiction and everything in it. We should then hunt down the people that post in it and report them to the FBI for terrorism.

Maya should be made the first up against the wall in this glorious revolution. I support her being made chief scapegoat in this act.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

If you really didn't like me, you'd demand that I was the second against the wall, since as my mama says, people only remember the first ones. :P

So anyway, I move that this proposal...do something. Go to the Senate for further consideration? Does that even matter now with the other discussions going on?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Done. Link.
JADAFETWA