[VOTE] Options for Senate, popularity of

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

What should we do with the senate (read post first)?

Poll ended at 2009-10-22 10:32pm

Eliminate the Senate - Hotfoot
48%
Coliseum winners club - Simplicius
7%
24 senators, for 1 year term, HOC elects two a month - Vendetta/Bean
13%
30 Senators, new candiates compete against oldest - Tevar/Stuart
11%
No new senators except by mod fiat, senators have no responsibilites and cannot be removed - Duchess of Zeon
2%
Continue status quo
10%
Status quo except that HoC directly votes in 4 senators a year (replacement rate).
1%
Make the Senate relevant by giving all Senators mod powers over testing - Duchess of Zeon
2%
Revert to old status quo; eliminate HoC, Senators (only) can propose/vote for new members if they want - Havok
2%
Eliminate HoC and also eliminate Testing for good measure - Havok/Duchess
5%

Total votes: 123

Havok
Miscreant

Re: [VOTE] Options for Senate, popularity of

Post by Havok »

This board could definitely use a dose of new blood. Open reg doesn't seem to be that much of a hassle.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

If RichardDawkins.net can deal with it (open registration), this place sure as fuck can.

As for the senate, it seems to be a waste of time from my point of view, and I'd get rid of it in favour of a "contrarian court" like HoC sort of is, where people can raise drama about board policy and mods being 'tards or whatever and have it out in the open.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

SancheztheWhaler wrote: Well, like the discussion in the bannination thread, part of that is due to a lack of new blood. When all you have is the same people who've been here for years talking about the same shit over and over and over again, it becomes pointless. I'm a little tired of constantly arguing with Flagg, or Mr. Coffee, or Havok, or Surlethe, or RedImperator, or Axis Kast, or Darth Wong every single fucking time I'm in a thread. I pretty much know what these fuckers are all going to say, and they probably know what I'm going to say - it gets old.

Let's face it; we're all a bunch of grumpy fuckers and if we want this board "revitalized" it would be in our best interest to not think our shit don't stink, let new people in, and not treat them like chew toys when they do join.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Stagnation is a bad thing, and I'm pretty sure this board's been stagnating for as long as I've been on it, at least (I won't speak for further back, since I wasn't here).

As far as the Senate is concerned, well, their are a lot of options here and they probably all have some merit. I don't really want to dismiss any of them out of hand. My democratic impulses are telling me to support abolishment of the Senate and leave all "advisory" work in the hands of the HoC, but I imagine stripping Senators of their positions would create a lot of needless ill-will for little gain (neither organization has any real power, and anyone who won't listen to the HoC now isn't nessissarily likely to start just because the Senate's gone).

At the end of the day, I think a big question for me is: does having the Senate around cause more conflict and hostility on this board than eliminating it would?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I vote for clean it or kill it.

I did note there was no option on the poll for 'allow the senate to stay, receive pay-off of booze and hookers' however. This is far from a comprehensive ballot.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A