Ending the Testing Page 3 Lock

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Should Testing threads continue past page 3?

Poll ended at 2009-10-22 06:38pm

Yes
77%
No
18%
Uncertainty Komedy Option
5%

Total votes: 109

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Ending the Testing Page 3 Lock

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

RedImperator wrote:It hasn't been necessary since we went to auto-prune. Good luck getting it changed, though.
This. Frankly, there doesn't seem to be any reason to lock Testing threads once they reach the third page now that they'reauto-deleted as soon as there's a short period of inactivity. Say what you will about utility (yada yada plebes yada yada lumpenproles yada yada testingstan vendettopaths strak) but plenty of healthy and entertaining threads have been locked at page 3 for what amounts to... No real reason other than giving super-mods something to do. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking that this is a pretty obsolete and pointless rule these days, with the software the board now uses.

So if there's a good showing of support in this thread (read: no matter what happens in this thread) then I guess I'll PM the Senatards on the issue?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ending the Testing Page 3 Lock

Post by Knife »

If they are healthy and entertaining, why are they in testing?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Indeed.

On the other hand, I agree some fun Testing threads get killed when they have some steam left in them, so maybe suggest the rule be made flexible if the mod about to make the locking considers the thread worthy of a few more pages?
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Knife wrote:If they are healthy and entertaining, why are they in testing?
Right. A thread can't possibly be entertaining in testing, and not fall into a specific forum category. I mean, all those RAR threads in Off Topic are just so much fun and vital.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Because we don't want to incur the wrath of the mods for posting what is basically spam in their forums? Even if it is entertaining spam.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

No

*Edit, how about this? It can go past page three, but we go with my idea and all threads in testing auto-delete after an hour.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Should we start tracking how many Testing threads are uplifted into otherwise dead forums? It's actually pretty funny.

Turns out people are more ready to discuss things in the Testing area instead of being dogpiled or hijacked into ZOMG MCNAMARA.
Bean wrote:*Edit, how about this? It can go past page three, but we go with my idea and all threads in testing auto-delete after an hour.
Or you could just grow up and realise that 'you dislike' != 'is bad'. Threads get moved, thus instantly disproving your implicit claim. This thread should have been entitled 'hilarious SDN polarisation', because that's what it's going to represent.

I'm not actually fussed. I'm not sure how much quality gets killed; the limit is functionally useless due to auto-prune, but the Serious Business brigade is too hilarious to allow it to change. Remember how the stupid 60-character limit is totally ok because people got used to it? Why fix it if people can jump through hoops?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Testing auto-deletes after 24hrs anyways, right. So what possible purpose does the page three lock serve other than to inflate mod egos and put a premature end to a lot of threads that are hilarious and pretty much serve as a release valve for all the spam and one-liners that we can't toss out in the rest of the board. Now, I know Beaner hates the funny and has a hard-on for shitting up the laughs in Testing (and probably begins the day by chucking a kitten out the window to make sure that gravity still works, but I can't verify that), but if he has such a huge problem with it he can just stay the fuck out and leave us to our harmless fun.

My $0.02 worth, take it as you will.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

You have your fun, posting along merrily in a thread. Then, a mod has his fun locking it (and yes, locking threads is fun). Then, you begin to feel all nervous as your favorite thread is approaching page 3. "Oh no," people think, "I must post soon or not at all." This too is great fun for us.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Nobody does that. It just ends discussions for no necessary reason.

Shit did I forget that counted as a good reason? Lol I wonder why board is conservative?

Atvleast mods admtting they apply rules out of such a sense of hostility is a breath of openness. One day everyone will be this honest about their activities!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

In all seriousness, is there actually a reason? (*Mod fun aside) Most threads in testing sputter out and never even make page three, so the auto delete deals with those, as well as dealing with any thread that hasn't been posted in in a 24 hour period. Testing posts also no longer count towards post counts either, so there is no hassle there.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the threads in testing, but occasionally there are threads that, while not deserving of a move due to silliness or not having a more appropriate forum to go to, contain useful info, meaningful discourse, or just a ton of laughs.

*You guys should totally let me Mod Testing. It would be a gas.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Ending the redundant page 3 locking would render Testing essentially mod-free, which would make all the uptight important people able to totally ignore it.

Oh wait, the policy is one of vindictiveness and it won't be changed because 'why change it' is a reasonable argument. I forgot.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Havok wrote: *You guys should totally let me Mod Testing. It would be a gas.
Second
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Fgalkin can sometimes post quality funny in Testing. Beaner, not so much. I think Beaner is just feeling left out and is taking it out on the rest of us for not laughing at his terrible jokes because he has no sense of humor because he's kind of a douche.

Seriously, there isn't any reason for locking the threads at page three other than some sort of hold-out nod to board custom and/or a sense of animosity towards Testing in general.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oscar Wilde wrote:
Havok wrote: *You guys should totally let me Mod Testing. It would be a gas.
Second
You must provide relevant links to post...
Oh wait. :lol:

Now, now. This isn't Testing, we don't need to spam up the HoC with useless threads and pos... Oh wait. :lol:

My honest opinion, is that it is Dalton's rule, and even though it is fairly redundant now, no one wants to change it.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The animosity is itself deeply amusing, since it only exists because of posturing in the past which led to the current 'lol mods' attitude in general. I'm not sure repealing the lock (and necessary mod attention) would make a great deal of difference (since few of the worthwhile threads would be affected and mods apparently have nothing better to do) but the arguments proposed in favour of it are just hilarious.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Stark wrote: Turns out people are more ready to discuss things in the Testing area instead of being dogpiled or hijacked into ZOMG MCNAMARA.
What does this mean?
This thread should have been entitled 'hilarious SDN polarisation', because that's what it's going to represent.
;_;
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stark wrote:The animosity is itself deeply amusing, since it only exists because of posturing in the past which led to the current 'lol mods' attitude in general. I'm not sure repealing the lock (and necessary mod attention) would make a great deal of difference (since few of the worthwhile threads would be affected and mods apparently have nothing better to do) but the arguments proposed in favour of it are just hilarious.
Most people just make continuation or sequel or whatever threads anyway. Unless they start clamping down on those too. :)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sometimes, people make threads in testing to avoid the board-standard go-nowhere arguments we all know and love (or parody them), such as 'ST so unrealistic, no trigger guards', 'McNamara stole my baby', 'I've got too many guns to put them in a gun locker' and 'I know all about hookers because I talked to a girl once'. By existing inside by divorced from the postcount padding, tryhard vulturing 'community', it gains it's flavour.

The flavour which is largely spam. But hey.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

General Zod wrote:Most people just make continuation or sequel or whatever threads anyway. Unless they start clamping down on those too. :)
This of course makes no sense at all (as it just wastes more mod time), but due to Fgalkin's openness we can appreciate that this could almost be encouraged, as it would allow more power-demonstrating locks for idle mods.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Stark wrote:The animosity is itself deeply amusing, since it only exists because of posturing in the past which led to the current 'lol mods' attitude in general.
Out of curiosity, what posturing happened in the past exactly?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's a general theory, but testing used to be far, far lower profile than it is now and largely ignored (I believe this was for many years). After the hilarious over-reaction and events like the 'clean up testing' 'ban 200 testing posters at random' stuff, testing posters took to mocking mods for these attitudes, which of course creates greater animosity from mods taking Fgalkin-described pleasure in enforcing meaningless rules on people 'disrespecting' them.

I actually think it's ironic and funny.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

General Zod wrote:Most people just make continuation or sequel or whatever threads anyway. Unless they start clamping down on those too. :)
My memory on this is fuzzy but I thought that the mods have clamped on such things. At least I think they used to.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Testing Page 3 Lock Is Testing. I vote No.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

There is no reason to end the page 3 lock.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs