Increasing the 60 character limit for thread titles

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Increasing the 60 character limit for thread titles

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I understand the reasons it was put in place, but this isn't the turn of the millennium anymore and almost no one is browsing this site on an 28.8kbps modem with a 640 by 480 screen. I think it's very outdated, and I don't think there's anyone who's going to find it harder to browse if it's increased. I often find it difficult to accurately describe a thread I'm posting in 60 characters or less, and I for one would appreciate it if the limit was upped so we could fit more into the thread title.

The article I wanted to post that caused me to start this thread was this. The shortest descriptive title I can think of is "Republicians worried they would be discriminated against in Obama's healthcare rationing panels", but that's way over 60 characters so I have a choice of not posting it or posting it under a title that doesn't accurately describe the article.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Increasing the 60 character limit for thread titles

Post by Havok »

I don't see why this would actually annoy anyone, well except maybe Knife. As long as the thread title is properly, but not overly descriptive. But honestly, the board has gotten along just fine with bullet points, sarcasm and abbreviations.

"Rs worry about discrimination under Ds Health Care rationing" There you go, 60, and you still get the point of the thread across.

P.S. You are awesome man. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know, I could see someone finding that title misleading. ;)

If it is a problem (and I'm not saying it is, I've rarely if ever found that my intended title broke the limit), then I don't see much harm in raising it to, let's say, a round one hundred. Why not add a poll, and see what percentage of users actually think this needs to be changed?

But unless a big chunk of the board membership takes issue with the status quo here, I'd advise filing this under "not a big priority."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

"Republicans whine about imaginary healthcare discrimination". Well under 60 characters and aptly describes the article. Don't blame the board software for your lack of creativity. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

General Zod wrote:"Republicans whine about imaginary healthcare discrimination". Well under 60 characters and aptly describes the article. Don't blame the board software for your lack of creativity. :P
True enough.

Like I said, I'm not convinced its a problem for most people, hence my suggestion of adding a poll to see if enough board members were being bothered by this to make it actually worth changing.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I don't think I am the only one who acceses the board from mobile devices. The current character limit is for some reason a very elegant fit on these tiny screens. I would hate to see that convenience go away.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

If you can't give a thread a unique identifier in under 60 characters, you're doing it wrong. They're titles, not abstracts.

"RNC fears health care discrimination". There.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Don't know about everyone, but when I was in school, there was a skill we learned called "summation".
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

If it weren't for the growing number of people reading the site on iPhones and Blackberries, I'd be in favor of lifting the limit. As it stands, though, I think it should stay put.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You can read this site on iPhones and Blackberries?

Wow.

My personal tech is soooooo outdated these days.

But more on topic - regardless of devices, I thinking keeping to 60 characters or less is a good idea because, as noted, they're titles, not mini articles. Most titles are far fewer than the maximum, thus I do not see a problem with the limit as it stands.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Broomstick wrote:You can read this site on iPhones and Blackberries?

Wow.

I can even browse on my cheapo Blackberry Pearl with its two inch screen at slightly-faster than dialup speeds. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I understand the reasons it was put in place, but this isn't the turn of the millennium anymore and almost no one is browsing this site on an 28.8kbps modem with a 640 by 480 screen. I think it's very outdated, and I don't think there's anyone who's going to find it harder to browse if it's increased. I often find it difficult to accurately describe a thread I'm posting in 60 characters or less, and I for one would appreciate it if the limit was upped so we could fit more into the thread title.

The article I wanted to post that caused me to start this thread was this. The shortest descriptive title I can think of is "Republicians worried they would be discriminated against in Obama's healthcare rationing panels", but that's way over 60 characters so I have a choice of not posting it or posting it under a title that doesn't accurately describe the article.
That would make testing more fun, they could have whole arguments in topic headlines.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Broomstick wrote:You can read this site on iPhones and Blackberries?

Wow.

But more on topic - regardless of devices, I thinking keeping to 60 characters or less is a good idea because, as noted, they're titles, not mini articles. Most titles are far fewer than the maximum, thus I do not see a problem with the limit as it stands.
Not only read- I've banned people here from my Googlephone.

And I think the limit should stay, if only to force people to apply some creativity to thread titles. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

fgalkin wrote: Not only read- I've banned people here from my Googlephone.

And I think the limit should stay, if only to force people to apply some creativity to thread titles. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
"Walper Defends Murderous Snowflake" remains my all-time favorite.
JADAFETWA
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Bounty wrote:If you can't give a thread a unique identifier in under 60 characters, you're doing it wrong. They're titles, not abstracts.

"RNC fears health care discrimination". There.
I agree with this completely.

*EDIT* Yep, I fail at looking at the last-post date. Apologies.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Sarevok wrote:I don't think I am the only one who acceses the board from mobile devices. The current character limit is for some reason a very elegant fit on these tiny screens. I would hate to see that convenience go away.
I occasionally log on from my Palm LifeDrive, so the low-bandwidth option non-sucks for me.

Why give Mike something else to change? The board's running damn well as is.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

RedImperator wrote:If it weren't for the growing number of people reading the site on iPhones and Blackberries, I'd be in favor of lifting the limit. As it stands, though, I think it should stay put.
I should really talk to Starglider about some of the code changes that can be made to make the site (style 4 at least) more accessible on mobile devices. This said, different display options for mobile devices is pretty easy (especially for iphones, where you can drop in some code and blam looks different on iPhones) and doesn't need to affect people using a computer at all.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I would surport the idea of making it so that this site can have its own layout change for handheld stuff. It'd be pretty useful and to be honest, it should not be that hard. I am no coder though.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

If you can describe exactly what you want and it isn't a huge change, I can most likely do it. However from experience I suspect the problem will be convincing Mike to spend the time merging and testing the changes. How about you do that first and if he's prepared to do so then I will write the code.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

If we are dicussing doing this then is it possible we could split this topic or something? It would make it eaiser than derailing this one.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

I asked about a mobile-friendly version a while back, and was told to just use BareBones, except it still doesn't fit any better than the regular layout on my Ipod Touch.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart