Criteria/standards required to be a Senator

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Criteria/standards required to be a Senator

Post by ray245 »

Given that people are discussing over the issue of what kind of contribution does it take to be a member of the senate, I think opening this thread is a good idea.

In my opinion, the point of nominating people into the senate is not to ensure the board's culture are fully represented in the senate , but to choose people who are good or mature enough to make certain decision for the community as a whole.

People with sound reasoning skills that can justify why certain members should be permanently banned or titled.

What do you guys think about what does it take to be a good senator?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Re: Criteria/standards required to be a Senator

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The standard is whatever the standing Senators want it to be. Ray I understand what you want to do but I'll be blunt that this thread is going to be, if it is anything, pointless.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think (in the full awareness that my opinion on the matter is likely worth squat to those who actually make these decisions) that the ideal Senator would be someone who:

a) is familiar with board culture, histories, notable personalities, etc,

b) has their own distinctive voice/personality/contributions,

c) is respected by the majority of the board (if there's any way to gauge such a thing), and

d) is able to conduct themselves in a rational, mature, and yes, respectful manor.

To clarify that last point, I am fully aware that this is a board is dedicated in part to the "mockery of stupid people," but I also feel that someone in a Senator's position should be approachable by less distinguished board members as opposed to intimidating, and that those in a position of authority/mock authority should strive for some degree of professionalism.*

*This should in no way be construed as a suggestion that the current Senate is generally unprofessional. I'm merely stating what a Senator, to my mind, should be, not debating the extent to which the current Senate fits this definition.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

This thread is pointless as there are no standards for choosing a Senator except popularity. We are not picking court Justices here but people who get to vote on board policy.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread
QFT

I'll be watching this thread.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Mr Bean wrote:This thread is pointless as there are no standards for choosing a Senator except popularity. We are not picking court Justices here but people who get to vote on board policy.
Precisely, Notability and some standards of posting seem to be the primary criteria.

Since I'm the guy who got Ray being a fool on this particular topic, I guess I'm obliged to answer. What the criteria should be and what they are are quite different things. If you want to discuss what they should be, go right ahead, doesn't matter. Infact, irrelevent. I could lay out a series of points, describe the standards of debate, lack of civility, acomplishment in flaming. No one would care because the Senate isn't composed of these things.
What they are is what i wrote above.
Which I don't see as a negative thing.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |