How do you think the senate votes should be run?

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

How do you think the senate votes should be run?

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

As the issue has been raised in the senate I decided to mirror a thread here. The purpose of the HoC is so that the general board can have a say in how the board is run yes? Senate procedures seems to fall under this jurisdiction, particularly if one feels that the senate is meant to represent the board. That said my personal opinion is that an Australian like preferential voting system should be enacted for senate polls, assuming the software can support it.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: How do you think the senate votes should be run?

Post by Havok »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:As the issue has been raised in the senate I decided to mirror a thread here. The purpose of the HoC is so that the general board can have a say in how the board is run yes?
No. It is merely for discussion of board matters and discussion of what goes on in the Senate that don't really fit any of the other forums. If it has any actual influence, it is because an individual Senator or Mod decided to waste time drudging through the garbage in here and found a not retarded idea.
Senate procedures seems to fall under this jurisdiction, particularly if one feels that the senate is meant to represent the board.
There is no jurisdiction of the HoC other than what the mods say. It is not an actual representative body.
That said my personal opinion is that an Australian like preferential voting system should be enacted for senate polls, assuming the software can support it.
If the software can support it, yes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:As the issue has been raised in the senate I decided to mirror a thread here. The purpose of the HoC is so that the general board can have a say in how the board is run yes?
Stickies are your friends
However, it was never meant to be a voting body with any kind of authority to force me or the administrative staff or even the Senate to do anything; it is simply a feedback forum for issues that you are not allowed to discuss on the rest of the forum for the reasons described in the previous paragraph.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

RARGH BLARGH HOW DARE YOU PLEBE!!! RARGH WE SENATE YOU PLEBES RARGH!!! RARGH YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT TO DO!!! RARGH RESPECT SERIOUS BUSINESS PRETEND INTERNET LEGISLATURE RARGH!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Okay, Senatorial overreaction out of the way, if it's at all possible, I'd love to see preferential voting implemented. Not just because it would allow for finer-grained polling within the Senate, but because it excites my little politics nerd heart to think that we could have preferential voting in an Internet forum. It would be a genuinely cool piece of bragging rights.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I am currently waiting for DW to send me a copy of the current SDN codebase, so that I can make a simple foolproof mod to add extended voting types (you know, updating the approval, instant runoff, Condorcet, range voting etc code I made for the old board about 18 months back).

Failing that, approval and instant runoff aren't too hard to do by hand for up to three choices. More than that runs into the current 10 option limit.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RedImperator wrote:RARGH BLARGH HOW DARE YOU PLEBE!!! RARGH WE SENATE YOU PLEBES RARGH!!! RARGH YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT TO DO!!! RARGH RESPECT SERIOUS BUSINESS PRETEND INTERNET LEGISLATURE RARGH!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Okay, Senatorial overreaction out of the way, if it's at all possible, I'd love to see preferential voting implemented. Not just because it would allow for finer-grained polling within the Senate, but because it excites my little politics nerd heart to think that we could have preferential voting in an Internet forum. It would be a genuinely cool piece of bragging rights.
You know you could go post that in the Senate thread where I'm asking for senatorial input and perhaps even answer the multi-threaded 2 part question I asked. :D
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hey Starglider, if Mike is up for code changes, I'd sorta like to make some suggestions re style=4 and handheld-specific formatting/tags etc.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Stark wrote:Hey Starglider, if Mike is up for code changes, I'd sorta like to make some suggestions re style=4 and handheld-specific formatting/tags etc.
Sure, go ahead, but bear in mind that (according to DW) a major reason why my last mod wasn't actually integrated was that there was so much stuff in it. DW didn't have time to check through it all before he decided to go to PHPbb3 and render it incompatible anyway.

I would be happy to make more mods, subject to my still rather tight time availability (remember, I mostly post to SDN in the short breaks I get while working on commercial code), but in the future I would definitely do them as small individual ones instead of one huge one.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Cool. I use style=4 on my phone all the time (and it works great) but there are a few things you can do to the code to make it more accurately fit within viewports etc, and in the case of iPhones jimmy with the size of the interaction elements. Since the code supports viewport detection and handheld etc it shouldn't affect anyone else.