Special quote poll

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Should the quote below be resurrected?

Yes
58%
No
43%

Total votes: 80

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Re: Special quote poll

Post by Force Lord »

Vote tally:

Yes-29
No-21
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Uh... yeah. Thanks for the update. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Polls like these remind me of when I actually posted on Gamefaqs...waaaaay back in the day.

There were numerous yabberings of how they would make polls to see if Square would listen to their latest idea.

To be honest, unless you can somehow convince Mike that this is worthwhile in any aspect or appeals to him...having a 100 yes, 1 no, means less then squat.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Ghost Rider wrote:Polls like these remind me of when I actually posted on Gamefaqs...waaaaay back in the day.

There were numerous yabberings of how they would make polls to see if Square would listen to their latest idea.

To be honest, unless you can somehow convince Mike that this is worthwhile in any aspect or appeals to him...having a 100 yes, 1 no, means less then squat.
To be fair to the thread starter, Mike did post this:

Subject: Report board software problems here
Darth Wong wrote:No particular reason. When I upgraded from version 2 to version 3, it was a huge upgrade which required bottom-up rebuilding of most mods and customizations, and I didn't bother recreating that one.

It's actually a fairly simple change to make, but I just didn't feel like bothering. I suppose that if enough people wanted it back, I would do it.
So in that sense, a poll showing whether or not "enough people wanted it back" makes some sense.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Well, I did draw some encouragement from Phant also:
Phantasee wrote:
Force Lord wrote:
Phantasee wrote:It'd be pretty awesome to have it back.
Poll anyone? :D
Feel free to start one in the HoC. I don't think I'm allowed anymore. :P
Subject: Report board software problems here

Want me to PM Mike about this?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

General Zod wrote:There's a difference between laying into someone for being a moron and laying into someone for being new.
Indeed, a newbie on this forum joined knowing what awaits :wink:

Maybe we should change the quote to "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Quite honestly, on a board with a membership of over 2000, a vote with only 53 ballots cast, and a difference of only 7 votes, isn't exactly a mandate from the people either way.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I personally wouldn't look for more than 100 votes, ever. Out of ~3000 members, barely 10% are active, and by active I mean actually log on more often than once a month, and out of those, maybe 100 or so actually participate regularly enough that they would vote in a thread.

So if we hit something like 60 or 65 votes cast, and there's no big difference, then we can forget about it.
XXXI
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Phantasee wrote:I personally wouldn't look for more than 100 votes, ever. Out of ~3000 members, barely 10% are active, and by active I mean actually log on more often than once a month, and out of those, maybe 100 or so actually participate regularly enough that they would vote in a thread.
You know those would be interesting statistics to have (number of users viewing in the last day, week, month, year, number of users posting in the last day, week, month, year). Perhaps I will submit a code patch to DW to show them. :)
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Those would be very interesting statistics. If you could get the stats for each forum, it would be even more awesome. We already see who is browsing the individual forums, so the stats could be recorded easily. I'm pretty sure cloaked users would be recorded, too.

At least then you could know if people are really ignoring your thread, or if it's just you :)
XXXI
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Phantasee wrote:Those would be very interesting statistics. If you could get the stats for each forum, it would be even more awesome.
That would be technically straightforward, and I wouldn't think the additional database load would be significant. I will try to write that if I get the chance.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I never really cared much about it either way. I can see leaving it out simply because it encourages the mentality that you can just yell at people for perceived stupidity without actually conducting an argument. I don't mind yelling, flaming, or other stuff in a debate, it just HAS to be a debate and its a right you get only if you ARE involved in a debate. I've never really cared much for people on the sidelines who make a habit out of yelling at or bitching or dogpiling or whatever on idiots when they themselves are not directly involved in the debate. (or dogpiling in and pretending to debate after much of the substance has been mentioned. Occasionally that stuff can be okay if you are a contributing member, though.)