[Discussion]: [Discussion] VI for Ryan Thunder?

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Should Ryan Thunder get a VI?

Poll ended at 2009-05-24 10:53pm

Yes
44%
Title him "Impervious to Reason"
44%
No
9%
Abstainyourunderwear
No votes
None of the Above
3%

Total votes: 34

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

[Discussion]: [Discussion] VI for Ryan Thunder?

Post by Phantasee »

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=134329

Edi's gotten the idea that Ryan Thunder needs a VI.

He's also got a very long list of reasons why. Are any non-Senators interested in him getting a VI?

5 day poll, so we can beat them Senators to our own conclusion as plebes.
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: [Discussion]: [Discussion] VI for Ryan Thunder?

Post by General Zod »

Not to play mod or anything, but maybe it'd be better for people to just list reasons why he shouldn't be titled? Otherwise this thread seems like it's not such a good idea.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people participate in VI polls all the time back in the day? Along with ban polls? I thought the HoC was where us plebes could pretend we still had a voice in what goes on?

I'm just trying to see where everybody stands on this issue. I gave the poll options some slightly humorous names as a nod to the old days, but they are fairly clear, and they cover all the normal poll options.

Actually, it gives me an idea: how hard would it be for the HoC to do polls like this, in the event someone is up before the Senate, and take the result and count it as one or maybe multiple votes in the Senate? Like, the Senators may or may not represent us, as far as I can tell they just put in their own opinions and don't have actual constituencies they're responsible for. So how about giving all the non-Senators a vote or two?
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote:Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people participate in VI polls all the time back in the day? Along with ban polls? I thought the HoC was where us plebes could pretend we still had a voice in what goes on?

I'm just trying to see where everybody stands on this issue. I gave the poll options some slightly humorous names as a nod to the old days, but they are fairly clear, and they cover all the normal poll options.

Actually, it gives me an idea: how hard would it be for the HoC to do polls like this, in the event someone is up before the Senate, and take the result and count it as one or maybe multiple votes in the Senate? Like, the Senators may or may not represent us, as far as I can tell they just put in their own opinions and don't have actual constituencies they're responsible for. So how about giving all the non-Senators a vote or two?
Used to. . .but, this seems like a huge opportunity for a dogpiling vendetta-fest if it's not actually backed up by a mod.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Perhaps he'll mature a bit and think through his responses more in the future with an "Impervious" title. His posts show the first shoots of a coherent view of the world, even if it leans more towards my and Shep's POV than most here :P. I'm referring specifically to the "haz big gunz kill teh bad guys" posts, not the "allz drugz iz bad ban tehm all" crap. He just has to learn to substantiate his positions. If he can't be bothered, then yeah VI him and point him to boards where rah rah jingoism is normal. Does WorldNetDaily have a bbs?
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

I gotta say Phant the idea of assigning HoS polls a senate vote [or 2? 3?] sounds pretty good. It would certainly finally shut up what residual anti-senate feelings remain.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If you want to have your voices count in the Senate, then do so by actually being nominated to it.

This is not a democracy.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Thanas wrote:WE'RE THE SENATE RAR FUCK YOU PLEBEZZZZ
:wink:
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Looking through some of the older threads, and remembering some that I read when they were current, I cannot in good faith say that I believe Ryan Thunder to be deserving of a Village Idiot titling. While his political opinions appear to clash with those of many important personages on the board, and while he has not been very successful in the debates that he has participated in, his errors have, in my mind, not individually been very exceptional or egregious by general board standards, at least not enough so as to necessitate any drastic steps. For example, in the Pirate Bay thread that was brought up as evidence against him, he basically did nothing wrong.

Take my opinion however you wish.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
Thanas wrote:WE'RE THE SENATE RAR FUCK YOU PLEBEZZZZ
:wink:
No matter the winky smile, the statement is entirely correct when it comes down to votes.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Consider the following factoid:

In the Senate thread, I made a fancy "me too" post, saying Ryan is impervious to reason. As others have pointed out, that is not entirely true- he has a strong Wall of Ignorance so his arguments have to be broken down to the smallest components and then crushed one by one, but he HAS modified his statements, as opposed to repeating the same things over and over as true Ferrous Cranus types do.

This has been pointed out several times in the Senate thread. Yet, here the option (and I never intended for him to get anything other than a simple VI, although I realize my post can be interpreted that way) is still leading massively. Whether due to the Commoners' failure to read the thread, their susceptibility to cool flashy names, or a failure of critical thinking, or something else entirely, I do not know. What I do know, they have overwhelmingly voted for the wrong option. That is why decisions of the sort are better left in the hands of the Senate.

To summarize, HoC=EpicFailz.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I took the votes to mean most people want him to be given a VI. I threw in two yes votes because our polls don't carry any weight beyond demonstrating interest. The ItR title came from the Senate thread, and when I made the poll I believe Lady T or someone else brought it up as an idea. FWIW I voted for straight VI.

If HoC polls had any weighting we'd have to make proper polls with clearly worded choices.
XXXI
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

though I suggested "Thick as a Brick" in the senate vote...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Phantasee wrote:If HoC polls had any weighting....
The chance of that is about as high as me meeting cleopatra.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

should I start on Cloning or Time Travel?

oh, and if I'm really sucessfull does this mean that one of our board members winds up fathering Caeserian instead of Gauis Julius?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:should I start on Cloning or Time Travel?

oh, and if I'm really sucessfull does this mean that one of our board members winds up fathering Caeserian instead of Gauis Julius?
Who's Gauis Julius?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

ray245 wrote:

Who's Gauis Julius?
Gaius Julius Caesar, the main antagonist of the comic series Asterix. Oh, and also one of the most successful generals and rulers of the Western history and who became a dictator for life in Rome, paving way for his adopted son, Octavian, to become the first emperor of the Roman Empire.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Tiriol wrote:
ray245 wrote:

Who's Gauis Julius?
Gaius Julius Caesar, the main antagonist of the comic series Asterix. Oh, and also one of the most successful generals and rulers of the Western history and who became a dictator for life in Rome, paving way for his adopted son, Octavian, to become the first emperor of the Roman Empire.
I was pointing out his typo.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh, and if I'm really sucessfull does this mean that one of our board members winds up fathering Caeserian instead of Gauis Julius?
Wasn't that Titus Pullo?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RogueIce wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh, and if I'm really sucessfull does this mean that one of our board members winds up fathering Caeserian instead of Gauis Julius?
Wasn't that Titus Pullo?
*twitch*
------------
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

ray245 wrote:I was pointing out his typo.
Alright, that's enough. No more Mister Nice Gaius. :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Thanas wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
Wasn't that Titus Pullo?
*twitch*
It was a plot point in the show 'Rome'. Roguie was being funny.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^I know, I was playing along. :wink:
------------
------------
My LPs
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Seriously? You guys are spamming a HoC thread as if it were in Testing. And here I thought Senators were supposed to show us how to do it right.
XXXI
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Give him a custom title? Why, so he can feel all special and unique? VI and be done with it.

Ooops, sorry, that was on topic :mrgreen:
unsigned