Abstaining In The Current Senate Inactives Removal Threads

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Re: Abstaining In The Current Senate Inactives Removal Threads

Post by Kuroneko »

Havok wrote:No, there is a correct course of action in the case of a year or more of inactivity and that is removal. That Wilkens gives the option to vote against removal is a testament to his character and his openness on these types of issues.
Not so--the Duchess is correct in this regard. The rules state that the Whip and the Chancellor are allowed to move for the dismissal of an inactive senator after a year. At no point do they imply that a senator is required to be active to retain membership, or even that the Whip or Chancellor have to create such a poll in the first place. The rules leave the dismissal or retention of an inactive senator up to each voter by whatever private criteria they feel relevant.
Duchess of Zeon wrote:There is thus no "correct" way to vote in the thread, and if there was, why would we need to vote?
This apparently needs to be said twice.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Kuroneko, we don't tell you how to do math, so why you trying to tell us how to poke the Senate with sharp sticks, buddy? :D
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Just for everyone's edification here is the relevant rule itself:
R.2.C.II.b wrote:In cases of inactivity of more than 1 calendar year the Whip or Chancellor may call for a vote to remove. The vote will be held according to the rules of a Category A vote. If the measure passes the member will be removed from the Senate but may return subject to nomination as a member of the general board.
Please note a couple things:

1) "MAY call for a vote" should have been everyone's first indication that this is not some sort of automatic process

2) The point about making this a Category A vote (60% supermajority required) is that it shoudl be ahrd to kick someone out even if it is for being inactive.

3) Again the person leaves if the measure passes, this makes no point in regards to HOW an indiviudal Senator shoudl decide whether to retain or dismiss an individual. That is why they are Senators so they can exercise their judgement.

4) If anyone bothers to read the last part of that rule they will note that any person removed for inactivity (and incidentally by request as well) may be re-nominated by the board at large.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Havok wrote:As long as you admit this is all your fault, I'm done. :lol:
I'm sure something around here is my fault; damned if I can remember what. :mrgreen:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Coyote wrote:
Havok wrote:As long as you admit this is all your fault, I'm done. :lol:
I'm sure something around here is my fault; damned if I can remember what. :mrgreen:
I think it's the Spanish Inquisition...
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better