Coyote: Jury Duty; 2nd-13th March

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Coyote: Jury Duty; 2nd-13th March

Post by Coyote »

Well, I tried to duck, dodge and evade, but I got picked for Jury Duty today. Starting Monday, and until the 13th of March, I will be serving on a jury in a lawsuit. Obviously, because it is a case in deliberation, I can't talk about it, but I can say it is nothing even remotely exciting or juicy.

My hours should be 8:30AM to about 2:30 or 4:00 pm, US Mountain Standard Time. So I won't be here to crack the whip on you when you get out of line. I'm sure other Mods and Supermods/Governors will be more than happy to break out the lash, however, as needed.

I won't be off the board entirely, but my usual hours will be curtailed. I'll still check in, probably, in early mornings before I go to the courthouse, though.

So... behave! Or I hear that Hotfoot has a jar a Vaseline with sand in it for you.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Re: Coyote: Jury Duty; 2nd-13th March

Post by Singular Intellect »

Truth be told, I somewhat envy you.

I got called for jury duty, but I had no choice but to duck it because I couldn't handle the finicial strain it would've put on me.

I actually wasn't happy about that; I was interested in learning about our justice system via actually being part of the process, plus I'd like to think it would've exercised my critical thinking skills.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

lol, guess they didn't ask you if you believed in capital punishment, or you'd be out. Or it's not against a war protester, or you'd be out.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Nah. Couple business partners screwing each other over and spreading slander about each other. I actually don't mind the idea of serving on a jury, and I can absorb the financial strain fairly well right now, but there is a mild pain-in-the-butt factor. Other people were interviewed that were in bad shape (full-time students, single moms, chronic medical conditions, etc) so I couldn't in good conscience make too much effort to get out of it. It was purely a convenience angle on my part.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Aren't jury members compensated for the full worth of their salary while on duty? I seem to recall hearing about that at one point, and it seems absurd otherwise anyway.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No. It varies by state and by case.

Jury selection and duty is quite a joke anyway - when I did an internship with one of the best defence lawyers in the USA, he remarked that he didn't really bother with Jury selection. He just asked the prosecutor if he would be okay with the first people who walked in.
Last edited by Thanas on 2009-02-28 04:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Faqa wrote:Aren't jury members compensated for the full worth of their salary while on duty? I seem to recall hearing about that at one point, and it seems absurd otherwise anyway.
Are you kidding? Jury members get paid peanuts, if at all. If the city had to pay members the full worth of their salary they'd never get anyone.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Someone once said something about getting judged by a bunch of people who weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty. I can't remember what it was. :)
XXXI
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It's $10.00 a day here. Some businesses continue to pay your full salary, some give you a percentage, some don't give you anything. I'm actually unsure how Federal employment does it; I'll have to ask my supervisor.

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Coyote wrote:It's $10.00 a day here. Some businesses continue to pay your full salary, some give you a percentage, some don't give you anything. I'm actually unsure how Federal employment does it; I'll have to ask my supervisor.
That won't even cover lunch. Jesus craps, the least they could do is give you some vouchers for Mr. Sub or something.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

$10 covers lunch just fine here, even without resorting to super-cheap fast food.

I think federal courts pay like $40 a day, they also will pay for parking and if I remember right they may even offer an extra bit of cash for lunch. Twice now (over two years) they've sent me a letter saying "congrats, you're selected!" and then when I called the night before to confirm, I was told that my jury group didn't have to report in.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed. A federal case is probably somewhat more interesting than, say, a county case - and my employer pays people who are called to jury duty so it's not like I'd lose out on pay. That said I was also a bit relieved, they keep getting ready to call me to jury duty at the worst/busiest time of year for my job.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I don't remember how much I got paid the time I was selected for jury duty. I'm thinking $20/day, plus some small rate per mile traveled to cover gas, though it could have been $40; it's confusing because I was there a day and a half and I don't know how that counts. I definitely remember the extra bit for covering mileage, though.

Also I wasn't selected for the jury. None of us were. My whole panel got thrown out because the defense said they couldn't get a fair jury out of the lot of us. I suspect it was engineered that way from the start because that entire day and a half was us getting questioned by the defense on our entire life stories, but that's a different story.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Uraniun235 wrote:$10 covers lunch just fine here, even without resorting to super-cheap fast food.
Depends I guess. At a decent deli, that's pushing it. I can get a good entre for eight bucks but add a coke in there and you're above it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanas wrote:Jury selection and duty is quite a joke anyway - when I did an internship with one of the best defence lawyers in the USA, he remarked that he didn't really bother with Jury selection. He just asked the prosecutor if he would be okay with the first people who walked in.
Really? I thought Jury selection was Serious Business, like in a John Grisham novel or something. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I's done! They settled a bunch of stuff out of court when it became clear that the Plaintiffs hadn't done their homework, so the lawyers played "let's make a deal". We were in deliberation by Friday and handed the verdict by 5pm that day.

Not bad. Interesting, in that it was part of the financial/real estate meltdown, even though a lot of it was accounting and kinda dull in that respect.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Coyote wrote:It's $10.00 a day here. Some businesses continue to pay your full salary, some give you a percentage, some don't give you anything. I'm actually unsure how Federal employment does it; I'll have to ask my supervisor.
That won't even cover lunch. Jesus craps, the least they could do is give you some vouchers for Mr. Sub or something.
Where the hell do you people eat? I can get a 6" Sub sandwich, fountain drink, and a bag of chips for less than $7 CAD. :|
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Where the hell do you people eat? I can get a 6" Sub sandwich, fountain drink, and a bag of chips for less than $7 CAD. :|
Any type of real restaurant that isn't a chain or fast food will cost you more than $10 per one person if you want anything close to a full meal. If you want, say, anything resembling a decent quality steak, expect to pay at least $15.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

General Zod wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote: Where the hell do you people eat? I can get a 6" Sub sandwich, fountain drink, and a bag of chips for less than $7 CAD. :|
Any type of real restaurant that isn't a chain or fast food will cost you more than $10 per one person if you want anything close to a full meal. If you want, say, anything resembling a decent quality steak, expect to pay at least $15.
Ah, that would do it. I tend to eat less than that for lunch. A 12" sub is usually approaching or exceeding "too much" for me.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Ah, that would do it. I tend to eat less than that for lunch. A 12" sub is usually approaching or exceeding "too much" for me.
It doesn't even have to be a lot of food really. All it takes is wanting to eat somewhere that isn't fast food fare or a chain restaurant. Of course for anyone making more than minimum wage a $15 lunch isn't too big of a deal.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

General Zod wrote:
I guess I don't tend to consider steak a 'lunch' food. :|
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Uraniun235 wrote:
General Zod wrote:
I guess I don't tend to consider steak a 'lunch' food. :|
Well, maybe more appropriate for dinner but you get the idea. $15 for a lunch is no big deal every once in awhile. :P