Subform Suggestion: You can't make this shit up

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Subform Suggestion: You can't make this shit up

Post by Solauren »

Simple enough suggestion;

A sub form off Off-topic for stories, that are not news worthy, but involve people doing truely odd or bizarre things.

I'm suggesting this because well, they have a topic / category, but are not news worthy, but people might want to check them out for the sake of morbidity.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: Subform Suggestion: You can't make this shit up

Post by Bounty »

Where is the flood of bizarre news stories that makes this subforum a necessity? OT, or even Testing, seem fine for these stories; if it's not OT-worthy it probably isn't worth posting.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

This would be the dumping ground for those "lurid true crime!" stories that get brought up here a lot. Like that Austrian dude with the incest dungeon, or tales about homeless nuns being raped by horses, and other tales from the world of Jerry Springer's ilk.

We used to get a flood of things like this in News & Politics ("man marries panda!" "hero dog rescues Bigfoot!"), and we had to shove them into OT to keep them from clogging up real News, which was getting buried.

While I think the idea has merit --keeping all the Tabloid stuff confined-- I don't know if we really, truly have enough traffic in that stuff to keep it going as it's own subforum. It's not the kind of stuff that can really generate a lot of intelligent discourse; it usually brings up a lot of talk about how we as individuals would mete out punishment or comment on the sickness of humanity... it's not like someone is going to stick up for the poor, misunderstood guy that wants to imprison his sister in a rape dungeon or something.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Not enough traffic for this to be viable. It isn't clogging up OT and its honestly not something worthwhile enough, IMO, to rate a sub-forum.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

tales about homeless nuns being raped by horses
:wtf:
Your kidding, right?

Anyway, there are about 8 total that might qualify on the first page of N&P, SLAM and Off-Topic. Not enough for a whole new forum.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is unnecessary. We already have a dumping ground, it is called OT. We already have an even larger dumping ground, it is called Testing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Samuel wrote:
tales about homeless nuns being raped by horses
:wtf:
Your kidding, right?
Yeah. I was trying to come up with some sort of tabloid-style headline. Nuns forced to prostitute themselves to horses seemed, well, lurid.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Nun's and horses?

Geez, you'd think they'd at least try the farmers first....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.