Asian disaster relief sticky in OT

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Asian disaster relief sticky in OT

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Guys? The hurricane and earthquake have been over for almost a year now. If people really want to donate, they've probably got some idea of how to do it by now.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Asian disaster relief sticky in OT

Post by Havok »

:roll: Was it bugging you so bad that you really needed to make a thread about it?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Yes, hav, it's choked my heart with darkness and bile from the mere sight of it. A rousing hand of applause to you and your incisive powers of deduction.

Look, it's there, it's not particularly useful at this point, it'd be brought up sooner or later, and I needed something else to do inbetween studying.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

havokeff wrote::roll: Was it bugging you so bad that you really needed to make a thread about it?
You know, he has a valid point. Of course, their are always other disasters to donate too, so maybe a general "charitable organizations" sticky?

Though I would agree that it is in no way a matter that needs to be made a priority.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stickied threads are not an issue for the retards here to discuss. It is something the supermods or forum mods handle as they are the ones that sticky them in the first place. Just send a PM.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

havokeff wrote:Stickied threads are not an issue for the retards here to discuss. It is something the supermods or forum mods handle as they are the ones that sticky them in the first place. Just send a PM.
Well by that logic, they should be the only ones allowed to discuss any board technical or policy issues, right? Actually, I expect that's your point.

Look, you've made no secret of your contempt for the House of Commons (though apparently the irony of posting in here to complain about "the retards here" escapes you), and yes, this isn't the most brilliant thread, but this is getting tiresome.

Also, by you're logic the HoC was created by the Admins, so only they should be allowed to discuss its merits. :roll:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Guys? The hurricane and earthquake have been over for almost a year now. If people really want to donate, they've probably got some idea of how to do it by now.
What sticky?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

havokeff wrote:Stickied threads are not an issue for the retards here to discuss. It is something the supermods or forum mods handle as they are the ones that sticky them in the first place. Just send a PM.
Really now. And you know this board policy how?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Alyeska wrote:
It may not be board wide policy, but Hav has a point that would've answered a great deal of the spam that is in the HoC. PM a moderator for a variety of these issues is far fucking more preferable then what has been happening.

But this will get drowned or ignored until the next piece of urgent board wide business.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Alyeska wrote:
I have eyeballs. And since when is there a "board policy" for threads to be stickied.
People either ask for a thread in the thread to be stickied or a mod deems it a worthy topic in that forum to be stickied. Is that not the case now? Is it open to debate? Up for vote? Do you have to start a Senate thread? Bring it up in the mod forum?
Last edited by Havok on 2009-02-03 12:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Well by that logic, they should be the only ones allowed to discuss any board technical or policy issues, right? Actually, I expect that's your point.

Look, you've made no secret of your contempt for the House of Commons (though apparently the irony of posting in here to complain about "the retards here" escapes you), and yes, this isn't the most brilliant thread, but this is getting tiresome.

Also, by you're logic the HoC was created by the Admins, so only they should be allowed to discuss its merits. :roll:
Let me rephrase... Stickied threads don't need to be an issue for the retards here to discuss. And seriously... Sticked threads have policy behind them now? It's a technical issue? No. Mod sees interesting or resourceful thread and pins it at the top of the forum. That is not a technical or policy issue. It is a 3 second decision. It is also a 3 second decision to take it down. There doesn't need to be a fucking thread about every damn thing on this board in the HOC.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

havokeff wrote:Let me rephrase... Stickied threads don't need to be an issue for the retards here to discuss. And seriously... Sticked threads have policy behind them now? It's a technical issue? No. Mod sees interesting or resourceful thread and pins it at the top of the forum. That is not a technical or policy issue. It is a 3 second decision. It is also a 3 second decision to take it down. There doesn't need to be a fucking thread about every damn thing on this board in the HOC.
Look, it was a bit of a spammy thread. But its not that big a deal.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Romulan Republic wrote:

I find it tiresome that people seem to keep bringing up issues that are either already addressed or don't need board-wide changes to handle myself. Threads like this are what makes people roll their eyes and wonder what the fuck is the point of the HoC if people just keep bringing up stupid shit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

You know I have to ask, so what if this thread is single purpose? Tith could easily have worded the OP better, but lets examine the alternative. He could have massed PMed 7 or so Supermods, making a half dozen different users have to come to a conclusion about it (perhaps conferring via PM themselves) then taking it down. Or we can have a thread in the HoC, a Supermod reads is, says hey what about that, does whatever mods do in private and pow! same result.

I find it slightly amusing that posters actually devote the time to make posts in the threads like these to talk about how worthless the OP is. The irony is delicious. Decrying the HoC as a pointless waste of time whilst pointlessly wasting their time posting in the pointless waste of time. If we could churn out a snappy pop song about it we'd be Alanis Morriset.

Sometimes mods take a while to get to PMs and mass PMing can be annoying for those who are unnecessary. Why not have simple reminders like these as part of the HoC. Once they have fulfilled their purpose they can easily be locked. On that principle I move that this thread be locked as its purpose is served.

But I do object to the idea the HoC should only be a hall for the most grand of problems. There is a high noise to signal ratio here to be sure, but people contribute nothing to that ratio with continuous, pointless condemnations of worthlessness. You made you views abundantly clear. You don't have to remake them in every fucking thread.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dark Hellion wrote: I find it slightly amusing that posters actually devote the time to make posts in the threads like these to talk about how worthless the OP is. The irony is delicious. Decrying the HoC as a pointless waste of time whilst pointlessly wasting their time posting in the pointless waste of time. If we could churn out a snappy pop song about it we'd be Alanis Morriset.
That's not what people are decrying, but feel free to pretend otherwise.
Sometimes mods take a while to get to PMs and mass PMing can be annoying for those who are unnecessary. Why not have simple reminders like these as part of the HoC. Once they have fulfilled their purpose they can easily be locked. On that principle I move that this thread be locked as its purpose is served.
Or, you could, you know, PM a mod who's listed as active on the list of users who are browsing the board this second if it's really really urgent and needs to be addressed right now.
But I do object to the idea the HoC should only be a hall for the most grand of problems. There is a high noise to signal ratio here to be sure, but people contribute nothing to that ratio with continuous, pointless condemnations of worthlessness. You made you views abundantly clear. You don't have to remake them in every fucking thread.
If a thread or post is noise, it rightfully deserves to be called such. Pretending that people are labeling the entire HoC as pointless because we're calling some threads useless is nonsense.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Hellion wrote:You know I have to ask, so what if this thread is single purpose? Tith could easily have worded the OP better, but lets examine the alternative. He could have massed PMed 7 or so Supermods, making a half dozen different users have to come to a conclusion about it (perhaps conferring via PM themselves) then taking it down. Or we can have a thread in the HoC, a Supermod reads is, says hey what about that, does whatever mods do in private and pow! same result.
It is not that it is a single purpose thread. A Single purpose was the thread about the IvP moratorium, a topic which deserved discussion as everyone from the top down had a different view on the issue. This thread is useless. It is a NO purpose thread. PM an OT mod, if they agree with Tith, they take it down, if not they do not. Why do you or I need to be discussing this. It is not required for something like this. Also your assumption that mass PMs are required to get Mod attention is ridiculous. I have never not gotten an answer from PMing a mod.
I find it slightly amusing that posters actually devote the time to make posts in the threads like these to talk about how worthless the OP is. The irony is delicious. Decrying the HoC as a pointless waste of time whilst pointlessly wasting their time posting in the pointless waste of time. If we could churn out a snappy pop song about it we'd be Alanis Morriset.
Yeah the whole minute it took me to post is so draining on my time. :roll: And while I think the HOC is indeed a waste of time, it is only because I knew that retarded topics like this were going to be the norm and not the exception. I have been proven right.
Again, what is with the mass PMing? Who has to do that to get to a mod? :wtf: And OH NO, someone might not answer a PM on a BULLETIN BOARD SERVICE immediately?! :shock: Look dude, this is not a real time environment. Not everything has to be done this fucking second. ASAP works just fine, even if that is a week, for most issues. Unsticking a thread that has served it's purpose, is one of those issues.
I agree with your objection. The most grand of problems should not be the only threads in here. In fact, they shouldn't be in here at all, as those are admin issues that almost never require member input. What this place should be is a place for the regular members to post ideas and issues that they feel are hurting or hindering the board or those which they feel will improve or help the board. It should not be the dumping ground for every thing that annoys a user such as a stickied thread or a smiley they find annoying. Or obvious admin issues such as getting a private user group.

As to your last point... When people stop making useless and retarded threads then I will stop voicing my opinion that this is not the place for useless and retarded threads.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

The thing is, at the end of the day the HoC generally don't get to be arbiters of what is useless and retarded. This is the domain of the mods, because the modicum of power given doesn't allow for much to come from bickering about the value of threads. One of the things that may need be accepted by the board at large is that the HoCs purview is extremely small. The majority of the threads will be over trivialities. It might be conducive to discuss this in another thread. Perhaps we should have a page limit lock on threads or a one month time limit afterward threads would purge/moved.

Really this is neither here nor there for this thread. Although it is slightly disconcerting that this is the second time in a short time I have been in general agreement with Hav in an HoC thread. Spooky.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It's like... YouTube comments. Only wordier.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

This thread is just embarassing.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin