"Joke Nominations"

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

"Joke Nominations"

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Okay, so some of the nominations weren't to the liking of the Senators. But there is quite a few qualified candidates that were nominated and there are still 16 Abstaining voters. Bounty, J, and Thanas are no exactly joke nominations.

So unless the only nominees are Ray245, a taco, and a cigarette butt (or at least all confirmed joke nominees) then I don't think Senators should be bitching. This isn't personal, but even if after all the candidates are scurtinized there is still a "no" option.

If it really is that much of a point of contention where people will start getting severe diarrhea over it, then just set a limit where if someone isn't elected after getting nominated six or seven times then they can't be a Senator EVER.

At this time i'm also going to add an item to this movement granting my state $400 million for a "tunnel to the center of the earth"
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Havok »

So what is they abstain. They aren't even required to nominate someone. The abstain option just means they are aware of the vote and not ignoring it and aren't inactive, or as a few Senators have said, they have no issue with the nominees themselves, just the adding of new Senators at all.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Next candidate: TACO

Soft-shell, cuz that hard-shell bullshit won't fly on my watch. Pain in the ass...

Abstain doesn't mean shit, Wilkens recently stated that abstains aren't counted when determining a winner, whoever has the most votes wins, even if 99% of votes went to abstain and one vote went to one candidate, that guy wins.
XXXI
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dark Lord of the Bith
Youngling

Post by Dark Lord of the Bith »

Proposal: Nominations made by the HoC must be seconded by a Senator. This would make it less likely that a joke nomination makes it to the vote, and if one does, it's because someone with the power to vote felt the nomination was worthy of consideration, and therefore, in fact, not a joke nomination.
Urgo: I want to live! I want to experience the universe! I want to eat pie!
Col O'Neill: Who doesn't?
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
You know, if you're so dead-set in the notion that no one else should ever be a Senator regardless of qualification because there are already enough, why keep beating around the bush? Propose an amendment to the Senate rules barring further nominations and be done with it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Rogue 9 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
You know, if you're so dead-set in the notion that no one else should ever be a Senator regardless of qualification because there are already enough, why keep beating around the bush? Propose an amendment to the Senate rules barring further nominations and be done with it.
Well we are actively considering that right now.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.
Sure, but what about the next time when the Senate doesn't include some joke nomination you happen to like? Good fucking god look out for the whine.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.

Then people would bitch that they were breaking rules, and rightfully so. The solution would be that every nomination must include at least 2 examples showing the nominees worth as a poster. That would curb 'joke' nominations.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Well we are actively considering that right now.
I'd have no problem with a cap as long as it meant that every single senator who was "grandfathered in" got the boot and only those elected were allowed to remain with new elections to fill any vacant seats.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Flagg wrote: I'd have no problem with a cap as long as it meant that every single senator who was "grandfathered in" got the boot and only those elected were allowed to remain with new elections to fill any vacant seats.
PROTIP: It wouldn't
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Mmm, yes.... someone is nominated, and we ignore him. That won't add one iota of commentary about 'old boy club elitism', no sir.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Others have made some good points in this but I'd rather address the underlying distaste that seems evident in your post. The idea that the rules are there just to be rules.

The reason why the rules exist in their current form is an attempt, largely on my part, to create an open and clear standard by which the Senate membership will be apportioned. We went through a long period of consistent complaints that the Senate was an "elitist" or "old boys club" sort of forum that didn't listen to the baord as whole or do its job. The rules as proposed and voted on (though the "rules" thread itself has not been updated) was designed to, as best as possible, address those concerns by providing for the board atlarge to nominate those members they felt would be good Senators. Sure you consider some of those nominations a joke but the problem is "joke nomination" is a completely undefined quantity, that is there is NO OBJECTIVE STANDARD TO CLASSIFY a "JOKE" NOMINATION.

Lets take Shroom as an example. He tends to be erratic at best but one can look at his postivie contributions in STGOD and think that he could certainly be a worthwhile Senator. I like Shroom but I disagree, the problme is that his nomination is not automatically a "joke" just because there is a pereption by folks that this is the case. One person's "joke" nomination is another persons compeltely serious nomination.

Now the old rules (currently still in he rules thread) allowed for the Chancellor to remove any nomnation from consideration at his/her discretion. I eliminated that rule because the first time I did so people would start bitching that I had no reason to do so.

What I challenge you to do is come up with an objective standard for declaring someone a "joke" nomination and if nobody can well I'm pretty tempted to just bring back the "Chancellor's discretion" rule.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

hey now I spent months nominating Mike's dog which never got seconded back in the old days. In an homage to Caligula's nomination of a horse. So in the tradition I have now nominated Edi's new Bengal Kitteh

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sometimes Colin...I just wonder why.

Locking.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete