[Discussion] Polls In Testing

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Havok
Miscreant

[Discussion] Polls In Testing

Post by Havok »

Can polls be re-instituted in testing.

Is there a specific reason why they were taken out of that particular forum?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: [Discussion] Polls In Testing

Post by Gandalf »

I believe that they interfered with the board's auto deletion mechanism because people weren't setting time limit on them.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gandalf wrote:I believe that they interfered with the board's auto deletion mechanism because people weren't setting time limit on them.
Those dirty fucking testingites. :finger:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Why are polls in testing needed anyhow? We already know they work.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gandalf wrote:I believe that they interfered with the board's auto deletion mechanism because people weren't setting time limit on them.
The new software should support auto-maxing the poll duration by subforum, so this could be set to 2-3 days in testing and locked.
Bubble Boy wrote:Why are polls in testing needed anyhow? We already know they work.
Why are quote boxes needed in testing? We already know they work.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sure, if it can be done without interfering with auto-deletion, why not?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Sure, if it can be done without interfering with auto-deletion, why not?
Well can you get that fixed for me? Cool thanks. Oh wait... :P
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

havokeff wrote:
Those dirty fucking testingites. :finger:
See, this shit right here is why we ain't allowed nice things down in Testingstanlandia.

Bubble Boy wrote:Why are polls in testing needed anyhow? We already know they work.
Because we can't have vote threads about if Phant's Mom's vagina or ass is better to stick our pork swords in if we can't have polls, DUH! Goddamn, son, at least try to think about this stuff before asking stuff like that.

But never mind this shit... When are we gonna get strike-through?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Mr. Coffee wrote:But never mind this shit... When are we gonna get strike-through?
That's a good question...along those lines, when can we replace the :P smilie with a better version such as this? Image
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Stark wrote:
Why are quote boxes needed in testing? We already know they work.
Let me rephrase the question: What activities in testing pertinent to it's purpose are being compromised by lack of a poll option?

(Translation: Other than the typical shit and garbage polls that tend to get posted in Testing, what's the problem?)
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

J wrote:That's a good question...along those lines, when can we replace the :P smilie with a better version such as this? Image
Hideous.
Bubble Boy wrote:Let me rephrase the question: What activities in testing pertinent to it's purpose are being compromised by lack of a poll option?

(Translation: Other than the typical shit and garbage polls that tend to get posted in Testing, what's the problem?)
So you have absolutely no interest in the issue here at all besides LOL TESTING? Okay. Thanks for paticipating! Since polls were removed for a very sensible reason and that reason may not be relevant anymore, I think it's worth discussing, but I hear testing is 'shit and garbage' that isn't 'compromised' by no polls.

And strikethrough is like five lines; the software already knows what it is, they just have to set the code to work.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Bubble Boy wrote:Let me rephrase the question: What activities in testing pertinent to it's purpose are being compromised by lack of a poll option?

Yes, because Testing using polls to find out if your Mom or your Sister give better head is a waste of board resources, i.e. shit and garbage, but polls about if the latest episode of (insert random sci-fi show here) is good are not. Don't bother answering that, as anything other then "oh, right, it's really not any different, I'll shut up now" will make you look like an even bigger tool then you already are.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Stark wrote:So you have absolutely no interest in the issue here at all besides LOL TESTING? Okay. Thanks for paticipating! Since polls were removed for a very sensible reason and that reason may not be relevant anymore, I think it's worth discussing, but I hear testing is 'shit and garbage' that isn't 'compromised' by no polls.
Then by all means discuss. I actually asked a very pointed question: what activities in Testing require poll options for the actual purpose of testing?
Mr. Coffee wrote:

Yes, because Testing using polls to find out if your Mom or your Sister give better head is a waste of board resources, i.e. shit and garbage, but polls about if the latest episode of (insert random sci-fi show here) is good are not. Don't bother answering that, as anything other then "oh, right, it's really not any different, I'll shut up now" will make you look like an even bigger tool then you already are.
So your two examples of potential poll questions are equal in your mind? Interesting. If that's the case, why would one be posted in testing, and the other not? You just asserted there's no difference, so I'd like you input as to why (say your specific example) is not posted in the OT or ARSE forums rather than Testing.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Bubble Boy wrote:So your two examples of potential poll questions are equal in your mind? Interesting. If that's the case, why would one be posted in testing, and the other not? You just asserted there's no difference, so I'd like you input as to why (say your specific example) is not posted in the OT or ARSE forums rather than Testing.
How about this: part of the original reason for Testing was to provide a place for people to test board functions and it's a good spot to, ya know, practice that sort of thing.

Does that fail to offend your sensibilities?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

But Spartan, we already know it works, so why have it there? :roll: I'm not sure we're going to get past this 'actual purpose of testing' nonsense anytime soon.

For the third (fourth?) time, if the issue is the killtimer and the polls can be haxx0red to auto-end after a short interval, the original reason for removing them is gone (assuming anyone can be bothered to implement it).
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

The Spartan wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:So your two examples of potential poll questions are equal in your mind? Interesting. If that's the case, why would one be posted in testing, and the other not? You just asserted there's no difference, so I'd like you input as to why (say your specific example) is not posted in the OT or ARSE forums rather than Testing.
How about this: part of the original reason for Testing was to provide a place for people to test board functions and it's a good spot to, ya know, practice that sort of thing.

Does that fail to offend your sensibilities?
I know what the purpose of the Testing forum is. My point has merely been "Where's the real need for polls in Testing?"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

For fun. Is that OK with you. Or do you need to keep licking mod and admin balls because you think they don't like testing either and you want to be accepted.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I wouldn't post a poll about if I should blow my load on your mom's tits or her face after blasting her ass in OSF because it doesn't belong there, and I wouldn't post a thread about if River Tam could kick Cameron's ass or not in Testing. And since fucking your mom in the butt isn't asking for advice on relationships or sex it wouldn't belong in ARSE (though my dong so totally belong is your mom's arse). Also, the mods kinda frown on it when we make polls about what the best lube, astroglide or spit, is best to use while fucking your mom in OT, so logically it would be long in Testing where all other questions pertaining to your mom's sweet, sweet ass go.

The two poll subjects are no different as far as value of content, but the forums either topic would belong in are completely different, dumbass. Now, are you done being an obtuse little assbag?
Bubble Boy wrote:My point has merely been "Where's the real need for polls in Testing?"
Let's take it a step further then... "What is the real need of any forum outside of the Senate and HoC for polls?" But way to ignore anything any of us has tried to get across to you, chucklehead. Seriously, other then those to forums for vote threads, polls serve no actual purpose at all, yet they're everywhere but in testing.

So here's one for you, give us a reason why Testing should not have polls?
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Bubble Boy wrote:I know what the purpose of the Testing forum is. My point has merely been "Where's the real need for polls in Testing?"
Ummm...someone might want to test out how polls work in Testing first so s/he doesn't screw up the formatting and look like a boob in the other forums?
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Bubble Boy wrote:I know what the purpose of the Testing forum is. My point has merely been "Where's the real need for polls in Testing?"
I just told you what the need was you fucking idiot! Let me ask you something: are you this stupid by birth or is it something you have to work at?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

havokeff wrote: For fun. Is that OK with you.
I honestly don't care, really.
Or do you need to keep licking mod and admin balls because you think they don't like testing either and you want to be accepted.
It's a question of honesty, as far as I'm concerned. Those who are asking for the poll option to be reinstated in the Testing forum are doing so for the purpose of employing it for useless and stupid shit. Which again, is fine and dandy by me, I don't give a crap one way or the other. Just be honest about the reason for the request and stop pretending the request is for some 'useful feature' in Testing, or that your typical polls in Testing are of the same calibre or quality as the rest of the board.
Mr. Coffee wrote:I wouldn't post a poll about if I should blow my load on your mom's tits or her face after blasting her ass in OSF because it doesn't belong there, and I wouldn't post a thread about if River Tam could kick Cameron's ass or not in Testing. And since fucking your mom in the butt isn't asking for advice on relationships or sex it wouldn't belong in ARSE (though my dong so totally belong is your mom's arse). Also, the mods kinda frown on it when we make polls about what the best lube, astroglide or spit, is best to use while fucking your mom in OT, so logically it would be long in Testing where all other questions pertaining to your mom's sweet, sweet ass go.
So in other words, you admit the board has a standard for material posted in it and for what is considered constructive/interesting topics in context with it's existence. The staff will flush shit and garbage to to Testing, where it will be deleted automatically. Thus you have a problem with me calling it shit and garbage...why?
The two poll subjects are no different as far as value of content, but the forums either topic would belong in are completely different, dumbass. Now, are you done being an obtuse little assbag?
Actually, it seems like you're the one being obtuse. The value of any given post or topic (which may or may not include a poll) is dictated by the nature of the board or specific forum.

I've merely called the vast majority of Testing posts shit and garbage, which is what it is relative to the nature of this board. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be in Testing, now would it? The poll option just adds another element to crap down there.

Why you find it offensive that I call a spade a spade is beyond me.
Bubble Boy wrote:My point has merely been "Where's the real need for polls in Testing?"
Let's take it a step further then... "What is the real need of any forum outside of the Senate and HoC for polls?" But way to ignore anything any of us has tried to get across to you, chucklehead. Seriously, other then those to forums for vote threads, polls serve no actual purpose at all, yet they're everywhere but in testing.

So here's one for you, give us a reason why Testing should not have polls?
I don't have to; I neither dictate nor care whether Testing has the poll feature or not. I merely pointed out polls in testing have little or no value, so why bother?
J wrote: Ummm...someone might want to test out how polls work in Testing first so s/he doesn't screw up the formatting and look like a boob in the other forums?
Sounds like a perfectly valid reason to me, but whether this actually outweighs the reasons for disabling it initially is something I currently can't answer.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

ITT we learn Bubble Boy is a retard.

Who wants to pass around the hat so we can get his mom a nice card? It's gotta be hard to deal with this level of stupidity everyday.

There is no reason to remove polls in Testing, just like there is no reason to remove polls in any forum. In fact, I would suggest that you remove the pole from your ass, while we're on the subject. Just because you don't post in Testing doesn't mean it's a completely worthless forum. It's for topics of a fleeting nature, the sort of thing you don't want to leave all over OT forever.

Also: I thought the 3-day limit was pretty well enforced? I don't remember more than a couple polls that weren't time-limited, especially since it was written in the forum announcements.
XXXI
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You mean that reason the adults have been discussing the whole time? :lol:

I'd like you to demonstrate that polls in testing have no value. By your logic, POSTS in testing have no value (particularly since they're 90% stupid crap), and should be disabled since if they had value they'd be in a different subforum. Remember, someone has to PROVE polls in testing are useful (and he'll ignore everyone who does so until J says it in very small words) but he can make blanket statements like 'everyone who wants polls in testing will use it for stupid shit' with zero evidence. Hypo-fantastic!

Remember, polls in the rest of the board are of higher quality, which is why people vote on the quality of a TV show before it's even aired. Oh wait, they're nigh-useless in many subforums! Who knew? :)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Bubble Boy wrote:So in other words, you admit the board has a standard for material posted in it and for what is considered constructive/interesting topics in context with it's existence.
Wrong, you dishonest little retard. Certain forums have specific topics to them is what I was talking about. You wouldn't post an ARSE topic in G&C, you wouldn't post Starwars vs Star Trek in fucking OT, and you keep Testing threads in fucking testing. None of this has anything to do with why testing should or shouldn't have Polls either.

I swear to Christ, you're like Ray245 with better English skills.
Bubble Boy wrote:The staff will flush shit and garbage to to Testing, where it will be deleted automatically. Thus you have a problem with me calling it shit and garbage...why?
I never said testing wasn't full of shit, fuckhead. And I also never said I had a problem with you thinking Testing is full of shit. Testing IS full of shit, that's why it gets autodeleted, duh HA!

And this still has nothing to do with why Testing should or shouldn't have Polls, asstard. Now that I'm seeing you in action, I'm seriously starting to doubt if you were "faking" supporting creationism in that Coliseum "debate". You might actually be that big an idiot.

Bubble Boy wrote:Actually, it seems like you're the one being obtuse. The value of any given post or topic (which may or may not include a poll) is dictated by the nature of the board or specific forum.
No, shithead, the nature of the specific forum on dictates content, not value. Once again, this has fuck all for why Testing should or shouldn't have Polls.

Bubble Boy wrote:I've merely called the vast majority of Testing posts shit and garbage, which is what it is relative to the nature of this board. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be in Testing, now would it? The poll option just adds another element to crap down there.
Bubble Boy wrote:Why you find it offensive that I call a spade a spade is beyond me.
Nice try, fuckface, but I never had a problem with you or anyone else saying Testing is full of shit. Seriously, when are you going to actually make an argument for why Testing should not have polls? Are you just wasting everyone's time because you're bored or are you to big of a slack witted sister fucker to make an actual argument?

Bubble Boy wrote:I don't have to; I neither dictate nor care whether Testing has the poll feature or not. I merely pointed out polls in testing have little or no value, so why bother?
Then why are you even posting in this thread? Go pad out your post count some place else, fucktard. If you're not going to make an actual argument for why testing shouldn't have Polling then fuck off already.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

The polls in some of the other forums are just as pointless as the ones that were in testing, if not shittier. Look at this "higher quality" poll. Bubble Boy get over yourself, if it doesn't matter to you then stop arguing about it.
Get some